carl_g

Hornady L&L AP

So I am thinking of moving up to a progressive press. I have been using my Lee classic turret for 3 or 4 years now and I want to upgrade. I don't plan on having a case feeder set up so I am leaning towards a lnl vs. a Dillon 650. I want auto indexing and I also want a 5th die hole so that rules out the 550b.

Do people here have any good or bad experiences with the Hornady? Hopefully this doesn't turn into a red vs. blue debate..

Looking at Hornady dies..they offer both roll and taper crimp sets for 9mm and 45ACP. For the Lee dies I was always using the Lee factory crimp die.. which version of the Hornady dies do I want and why? Thanks!

Any round that headspaces on the case mouth (9MM, 45ACP, etc) you want to use a taper crimp not a roll crimp.  It is very important as the round's case mouth provides this headspace.  Most reloaders will use a taper crimp die as a separate step to insure proper bullet seating.  Some claim better seating.  I used a standard hornady set for years before getting a taper crimp die with no problems.  Get a chamber gauge for each caliper, this I find is the biggest plus when reloading.  It is a machined gauge that mimics the minimum SAAMI spec chamber.  If your loaded ammo seats easily and within limits of the gauge, it should work in any firearm in that caliber.  See L E Wilson or others for the gauges, they are very reasonable.

Any manufacturer's standard sized dies will work in a progressive press.  So those Lee dies will work in a LNL press. 

Ok. I read that Lee dies don't wok so well on the lnl due to the length. I guess that is not correct. Thanks!

Could be an issue, i don't know for sure, i was speaking to the thread diameter and pitch on the die.  Try it first and see.  Unless someone here knows for sure.

There is no reason to buy new dies.... Use what you have

This is my experience also.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the hornady or the dillon.

I have the LNL and once set up can turn out hundreds of repeatable cartridges an hour. Caliber change with same primer size around 5 minutes, 10 if changing primers size.

Note: if you go Lnl, spare parts are your friend. There are a few wear items (springs, pawl drive pins etc) that are not expensive, but will drive you nuts if they go bad on a reloading weekend.

Check out the new RCBS Pro Chucker 5.

+1, I looked at red and blue but ended up wit green and have zero regrets. RCBS Pro 2000 in my case, I went with manual advance but it's easily upgraded to auto if I ever decide I need that function. IMO, it falls somewhere between the Dillon 550 and 650 as far as features and function go and quality is, as expected from RCBS, second to none.

I will swear by my Loadmasters.  I have 3 and some Magic Mike Mods and these machines rock.  I can prove 100% accurate and repeatable OAL to .001.  Check out the Loadmaster Forum before you buy.  Also Mikes Reloading bench.

Looks like if I can use my lee dies and want to run a powder cop die, I either need to run the lee powder measure or buy this to convert the hornady powder drop to a pdx(powder drop/expander). http://powderfunnels.com/products.html

That's the way mine is set up. It works ok, but I load 3 different pistol calibers right now, so I have a separate lower for each. When changing the lower, need to do a little tweeking to get a good bell on the mouth

I got an LNL last year for Christmas. I haven't had any issues so far with it. If you decide to go with the LNL, YouTube Bill Morgan. He does a great job on how everything works on it and what to look for when you need to adjust something.

Ok. I read that Lee dies don't wok so well on the lnl due to the length. I guess that is not correct. Thanks!

Lee has two generation of dies, less friendly and more friendly. I have used the less friendly dies on my LNL-AP. Getting them set up is a bit trickier, but .45, .40, and 9mm dies work. In theory newer ones should be a bit longer overall and make setup more normal. So try what you have and only replace if needed IMO.

Lee has two generation of dies, less friendly and more friendly. I have used the less friendly dies on my LNL-AP. Getting them set up is a bit trickier, but .45, .40, and 9mm dies work. In theory newer ones should be a bit longer overall and make setup more normal. So try what you have and only replace if needed IMO.

cool thanks!

Had my LNL for almost a year now other than breaking the spring that keeps the cases in the shell plate.(my fault) its been perfect... I upgraded from a Lee Pro 1000 that I had for many years without any issues pumping out thousands and thousands of 9mm and 45 acp... I passed that press onto a new reloader and wound up regreating it because I built a 300 blackout ar. After spending a few months researching between the Lee,Dillon,RCBS and Hornady it was between the Hornady and Dillon....If money is no object than the Dillon would win but the Hornady is a really close second and I was able to upgrade with some parts from Inline Fabrication ie. Skylite and ergo handle and the mid hight stand.... 5000 rounds of blackout later and no issues.....good luck with your choice ....

Hey check out the LNL for sale here on the forum thats a great price with all that stuff included... there was one on CL the Ammo Plant edition for 1100... that was also a really good buy... that price included dies and a whole bunch of assories... that press alone without the dies is around 1200.00 check it out...

I never had reloading experience before I bought my Hornady L&L. I just watched a ton of videos, asked questions here and there, and bought and read various books on the topic. I'm very good with my hands, and I guess being an amateur machinist helped because I found the setting up and operation of the L&L straightforward. Anything I didn't understand I looked up and found the answers online quickly. Bill Morgan's Yout*be vids also provided tips and tricks to get it running more smoothly. So I've been reloading .45ACP for months now and love it.  I researched both the red and blue companies and from what I've read the Hornady appeared to be better build, even if "money was no option".  YMMV but I highly recommend the L&L.

Check out the new RCBS Pro Chucker 5.

I was looking at the 7 because I could use more positions for a few of the cartridges I load including 9x25 and 400 CorBon. The powder through expander is not great m these necked down cases thus I could use the factory expander plug,mother drop the powder. These two calipers also don't have seating crimp dies so it takes up space quick.

I think you will happy with it.. But the Pro Chucker 7. Is expensive when you factor in multiple heads/plates. Each head is like $250 since it includes a powder measure. You can not buy them separate yet. Other then that once it is dialed in it runs fine... I did break a few primer slides but once I smooth out a few burs it runs great.

I think you will happy with it.. But the Pro Chucker 7. Is expensive when you factor in multiple heads/plates. Each head is like $250 since it includes a powder measure. You can not buy them separate yet. Other then that once it is dialed in it runs fine... I did break a few primer slides but once I smooth out a few burs it runs great.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm really focused on two calibers for it right now. That should know help a bit with the cost.