carl_g

Hornady L&L AP

I just ordered a lock n load AP.

Got a bunch of shellplates, die bushings, some rcbs powder expanders for 9mm and 45acp.

I also got the inline fabrication tall strong mount.. can't wait!

When you get it, take your time setting it up. Watch the step by step video. Make sure to clean ALL of the rust inhibitor off of all surfaces.

When you get it, take your time setting it up. Watch the step by step video. Make sure to clean ALL of the rust inhibitor off of all surfaces.

afterwards I spray everything down with hornady one shot cleaner dry lube. The only part that doesn't get treated is the powder drop.I had a lot of surface rust forming prior.

I am all set up and ready to roll with this press but I have noticed one thing and want to ask if this is normal or not..

The press is now configured for 380 Auto. I am using the tall pistol bushing inside the powder drop. After adjusting the powder drop to move in its full range of motion( up and down) I am noticing that with no shell, the powder drop is making contact with the shell plate and causing the powder drop to raise very slightly.. Is this normal for shorter pistol cases? It doesnt appear to be enough to drop any powder but I wasn't expecting to see any movement with no brass in the shell plate. I realize that while running this that the scenario is not likely to happen as there will be brass in there the whole time except for initially starting and finishing of a run. Please let me know if this is normal or not and if it needs to be adjusted , how should I go about that?

Thanks,

Carl

Ignore it Carl -- That little movement is insignificant -- It has to go at least 3/4 of the way to drop any powder

Mines set up for .223 right now so there's absolutely no contact with the shell plate 

I'm fairly certain that when I set up for pistol I get a little contact and movement in the powder measure too.

Ignore it Carl -- That little movement is insignificant -- It has to go at least 3/4 of the way to drop any powder

Mines set up for .223 right now so there's absolutely no contact with the shell plate

I'm fairly certain that when I set up for pistol I get a little contact and movement in the powder measure too.

Cool thanks!

I should have said this last night but keep in mind that every time you "bump" that powder measure you pack powder down into the measuring cavity 

Not an issue but be sure to dump that load of powder that keeps getting packed down before you actually charge a case -- Just dump it back in the measure once you're ready to load ammo

I do this whenever I start reloading for the night -- Dump the 1st 3 loads from the measure then load as normal -- I'll weigh the 4th drop and a few after that but they usually comply with what I want by then

So my first session I would call a success although it was a little more complicated at first than I anticipated to be honest.. After a while I started to figure it out.. I would say the last 40-50 rounds went fairly smooth. Overall I am pretty impressed except for one small issue that I was having.. At first the press would not fully index like either the shell plate was too tight or something because the rotation would come up just short randomly and I would find when I went to prime the case it wasn't completely indexed. I had to give it a little help for the ball to set into the detent. I went back and greased the two ball bearings on the bottom of the shell plate and that seemed to help a little bit but it is still not perfect..maybe since I was going slow, I caused it? Any ideas on how this might be cured? Maybe it just needs to break in a little?

EDIT:

I found this video on YouTube. And it is the exact thing that I was experiencing.. According to most of the comments, I need to adjust the left prawl a little..

That's what I would suggest, Carl. Adjust the left pawl and also ensure you have everything lubed up good. I use Super Lube grease in all the fittings and Hornady One Shot dry lube for the shell plate and anywhere else that calls for lube. I also recommend you watch Bill Morgan's Youtube vids on Hornady setup and maintenance. Good stuff!

That's what I would suggest, Carl. Adjust the left pawl and also ensure you have everything lubed up good. I use Super Lube grease in all the fittings and Hornady One Shot dry lube for the shell plate and anywhere else that calls for lube. I also recommend you watch

Youtube vids on Hornady setup and maintenance. Good stuff!
Yes thanks! I did watch all of his videos and learned a bunch from them.

You'll find 9mm will stick a little the dies -- It's a tapered case

I will lube them very slightly to get them to run smooth -- Spray a quick shot of one shot lube in a plastic bag -- add a couple handfuls of cases and shake around 

Load as normal

You'll find 9mm will stick a little the dies -- It's a tapered case

I will lube them very slightly to get them to run smooth -- Spray a quick shot of one shot lube in a plastic bag -- add a couple handfuls of cases and shake around

Load as normal

I lube the case for the first 500 rounds of any caliber. It breaks in the dies very well. After that the stait wall cases go very smoothly.

Just a note on using the Hornady Dry Lube spray as a spray down for the press and parts... I used to do the same thing but I learned that it doesn't really protect the metal well , as in formation of surface rust. I'm in the unfortunate position of having the press in the garage, so its exposed to exterior temps and humidity. Not optimal, but I have to do what I have to do.

I've switched to using Eezox as a cleaner/lube for the press and parts. It works great on the internal die parts. It doesn't leave behind any sticky residue and offers great protection against rust and corrosion. The carrier is a solvent, trichloroethylene, it's potent one at that so watch the fumes and glove up. It's a probable carcinogen and it will give you a case of dry skin in no time flat. All the bad has some good...the solvent makes it great as a cleaner in the wet-phase. Once it evaporates, it leaves behind the active components. It's not a great lube, but leaves a great foundation to add a wet lube or grease to in areas that need it.

If I'm using the press a lot, and just a general wipe down/clean up, I'll use Ballistol in between Eezox treatments. Its decent at corrosion protection just by itself. It works great as a general wipe/wet lube for light duty areas of the press. The added bonus is that is good for the skin and non toxic. Big pluses when you have your hands all over the equipment.

I set up for 9mm and ran 100 rounds. All seemed to go OK except I am seeing +or- .004 with the OAL. Is this an acceptable variance range? I am using range pick up brass with mixed head stamps and xtreme plated 124 gr FPs. I can't remember how much variance I was getting using my Lee classic turret.

I set up for 9mm and ran 100 rounds. All seemed to go OK except I am seeing +or- .004 with the OAL. Is this an acceptable variance range? I am using range pick up brass with mixed head stamps and xtreme plated 124 gr FPs. I can't remember how much variance I was getting using my Lee classic turret.

that's fine. Mine are always at 1.133-1.137

Im not sure on all of them, but on the LNL if you run one case through there is about a .004 change in COAL. You will seat deeper with a full shell plate compared to a single run. Im going to assume the crimp will probably be slightly tighter with a full plate as well in comparison. I dont crimp much and in a second stage so mileage may vary on that one.