medved11

SAM7R-61N NJ Compliant Arsenal - Thoughts?

While looking at the K-VAR site, I noticed that their NJ compliant model is back in stock. 

http://www.k-var.com/shop/SAM7R-61N_NEW-JERSEY_COMPLIANT.html

Has anyone here grabbed one yet? I'm not sure that I see the advantage of buying this model over any other milled Arsenal gun other than the fact that it would be NJ compliant out of the box.

I'd probably be a bit more interested if it were a stamped receiver (just my personal preference for whatever reason).

for the price, I'll pass.  You can convert a saiga for cheaper.

I'm guessing that the "bonus" with the Arsenal price tag is that you're getting a factory built gun. That being said, I'm not sure that I'm willing to pay their premium.

I just finished my Saiga x39 conversion so I'm looking for a new AK project/toy. I'm just having some trouble deciding what it's going to be since a lot of the newer options (example: the Mutant and the Rock River LAR-47) just interest me much. I may end up buying another WASR or maybe a DDI stamped gun and tinker with it.

DDI makes a nice milled AK as do a few other companies. The Krebs AC15 is beautiful. What exactly are you looking for in this specific AK? Your answer will better help us steer you in the right direction.

The Krebs AC15 is real nice but I didn't think that it was NJ legal since it's got a pinned flash hider.

I'm basically looking for a solid stamped 7.62 or 5.45 AK that I can tinker with. For a 7.62, I'm getting drawn towards the DDI. If I go for the 5.45, I'll probably go towards an unconverted Saiga before they disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought DDI Ak's were a no-go in jersey because of they show AK47 or some variation on the receiver?

I know you're looking for a stamped AK, but I'd also check out the C39v2 (milled) by century.  They've gotten lots of great reviews

I thought DDI Ak's were a no-go in jersey because of they show AK47 or some variation on the receiver?

I know you're looking for a stamped AK, but I'd also check out the C39v2 (milled) by century.  They've gotten lots of great reviews

That's a good point that I've heard before - I believe that the Palmetto State Armory AK is a no-go for similar reasons (I think their stamping is something along the lines of "PSAK47" which is close enough for me not to chance it). I haven't been able to find any online images of the DDI receiver stampings to see if it includes "AK47".

I've actually already got a C39v2 and it's a good gun - I've just noticed that I tend to prefer stamped receivers over milled ones for some reason (I really can't quantify the exact reason). 

This is just one more reason why I'm looking to make a move across the river to PA...

There is no real benefit to a milled AK reciever, it just costs more with less options for changing furniture.

I am really thinking about filing for a form1 and making this out of a M92 pistol.

mis6w.jpg

The more I think about this, the more I want to pick up an Saiga 5.45 and do another conversion. I'm not totally crazy about adding another caliber of ammunition to the pile but I think that this will give me the widest range of options in terms of a project.

Does anyone have any other suggestions in terms of a project gun?

I enjoy the actual way a milled receiver is made versus stamped. IMO holding a milled AK feels better than stamped, but it's better to have a few of each.

If the Krebs AC15 has a flash hider, I'd order a muzzle brake of your choice before you order it and then have your FFL remove the flashhider and weld the brake on. 

I enjoy the actual way a milled receiver is made versus stamped. IMO holding a milled AK feels better than stamped, but it's better to have a few of each.

If the Krebs AC15 has a flash hider, I'd order a muzzle brake of your choice before you order it and then have your FFL remove the flashhider and weld the brake on.

I might be wrong but my understanding was that Krebs permanently welds the flash hider on the barrel to bring it back to 16" after they chop it

I might be wrong but my understanding was that Krebs permanently welds the flash hider on the barrel to bring it back to 16" after they chop it

I researched the AC15 and there are plenty of different models to choose from. If the barrel is 14.5'', you could always make sure to buy a muzzle brake that is +1.5'' and you will be good to go to replace it.

There is no real benefit to a milled AK reciever, it just costs more with less options for changing furniture.

I am really thinking about filing for a form1 and making this out of a M92 pistol.

mis6w.jpg

i have TWO being built right now.....haha.

Arsenal as a whole, especially the SAM variants are definitely top quality & considered high end ( except for the super rare & expensive AK s ) but fit & finish are supurb.....

Most AK s go bang every time you pull the trigger but if quality is what yourblooking for you will easily justify their extra cost.

5 & a 1/2 hours of milling alone goes into their receivers....that speaks volumes .....