the_stranger

Barrel Recommendations

AR Barrel

After looking through the Vortex Strike Eagle and SPR threads I decided it was time to use Seekins stripped upper that

I bought a while back. Looking for ideas for an 18" rifle length gas barrel. Preferably stainless and would be a bonus if it was fluted.

Any suggestions? Rather interested in keeping it somewhat light as a possible 3-gun. (Or add a bi-pod for SPR).

Thought this might be a good time as PA has a nice Seekins rail on sale. https://www.primaryarms.com/Seekins_Precision_P_A_KeyMod_15_Rail_p/sppakm15.htm

Thanks!

+1 for Odin Works.  I did not buy their barrel for my SPR but they have outstanding customer reviews.  Also check out Rainier barrels.  I went with one of their 18" SS Wylde match barrels.  Very happy with it.  I hear White Oak also makes a great barrel

I used a Black Hole Weponary barrel 18", rifle length gas with a Syrac adjustable gas block, stainless steel - black shot peened and target crown, the nice thing about this company is you can order almost any option/configuration you can think of. An 18" pencil barrel is only 1.55 lbs. but fluting is not available on such a light barrel.

post-7786-0-25793300-1441312266_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I did see the Odin on PA website so thanks for feedback on those. Unless I'm missing something I only saw 20" on White Oak site. Will have to check out Black Hole.

Any one try a Nordic or Green Mountain?

Don, will reply soon. Appreciate the offer.

I use a Nordic barrel, and I have a "bad" one in that developing a load for it was harder then it should have been. That said it is now a sub MOA gun with 6x scope, its limits are me and my eyes and my hands.

Nordic, JP, Odin, Black Hole, Rainier, Criterion are all things I wouldn't turn down for a 18" barrel with rifle length gas.

Oh and  JP are quite excellent and their price seems higher but most often it includes a match JP bolt which is a $100 item to start with.

Unless I'm missing something I only saw 20" on White Oak site. 

Here is the link for an 18" fluted rifle length gas system.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17941&cat=312&page=3

They also have a non-fluted one.  

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17518&cat=312&page=3

The stainless is pretty.

@DargZ - Thanks! That WOA SPR is NICE!

Two more questions.

Do people running 18" rifle length gas tend to go with an adjustable gas block or non-adjustable?

This upper is going to replace an RRA NM upper that I have. Should I consider taking the barrel off that and having it re-contoured and shortened?

My plan now is to just sell the RRA,

Thanks all!

P.S. If any of the admins read this post, please give me access to the EFGA forum? Used to have it.....

I went Rainier 18" Match with rifle gas system..run a regular gas block..runs fine and more accurate than I could ever be..

Can you, or anyone else, explain the purpose of a rifle length gas system and FF tube in an 18" bbl.  I can understand if it will be used with open sights, better sight plane and all that, but most are being used with an optic.  Is it just for looks or are these being used for a practical purpose?

It has nothing to do with sights or optics, gas length is either carbine-7", mid-9", rifle-12", and now an intermediate is being used by some, the longer the tube the longer the dwell time for the gas to push the bolt back, therefore a somewhat perceived softer recoil. An adjustable gas block will allow you to decrease or increase the amount of gas to tailor it to the load you are using. I can cut mine back to almost feel like a 22, with a light bullet. A free floating handguard will allow the barrel to move on its own without disturbing the harmonics of the barrel.

For guys like me who dont reload and shoot factory loads the non adjustable gas block works fine and will run normally without any tinkering..for those who roll their own ammo and develop specific loads for their purpose then the adjustable gas block becomes valuable..the free float handguard theoretically takes any interference the HG might have oj the barrel out of play

Rifle length is for reduced felt recoil, but also because I feel it is more accurate, by retarding the action starting to move and moving the gun around as the bullet is exiting. I may be wrong about this, I'd need to see a slow motion with the same ammo to swear to it, but it feels correct to me when I'm shooting.

Adjustable gas is nice but not a must have. The other option is to get a barrel with a reduced size gas port (or one on the small side of the spec) which gets you equivalent effect (although not as much) without worrying about adjustable gas blocks. Adjustable gas block eventually fail, they have a lifespan ususally shorter then the barrel from what I've seen and this being NJ it sucks because you can't replace it over the pinned comp. I have yet to see a .750 two piece adjustable gas block, if I'm wrong some show me one.

I think reduced gas makes a lot of difference for factory ammo that tends to be too hot anyway. When you load your own you have more control over that