Schrödinger's cat

Howard Leight Impact Pro

I have these and I think they're an excellent value. My personal issue is I find shooting long guns really awkward because they stick out sideways so far. My long gun set-up (when indoors) is to use HL Impact Sports doubled up with Surefire earpro.

I used to use them and they were great. I switched to Sordins because the HLs can't keep up with machine guns. Regardless, I wear Surefire inserts under electronic ear pro. Hearing damage is permanent so I do everything I can to prevent it.

Is it necessary to double up for indoor shooting with a nrr of 30 ? I'll be shooting .40 cal. Also in a active range does it constantly cut in and out annoyingly ?

Is it necessary to double up for indoor shooting with a nrr of 30 ? I'll be shooting .40 cal. Also in a active range does it constantly cut in and out annoyingly ?

Probably not necessary but my stance is, why risk it? Yes, they can cut in and out depending on how loud the other shooters are.

I have the impact sport, which have a nrr rating of 22. They're fine outdoors, but indoors I usually wear plugs underneath. Depending where you shoot, you might have someone shooting rifle, shotgun, or hand cannon next to you. As Midwest already stated, hearing loss is permanent.

Very good value and they do seem to work just fine on the pistol range. As stated above they are awful for rifles unless you are using a scope mounted really high with a kind of straight up non cheek wield. So they are my go to pistol ear protection and I'm well satisfied.

I have the impact sport, which have a nrr rating of 22. They're fine outdoors, but indoors I usually wear plugs underneath. Depending where you shoot, you might have someone shooting rifle, shotgun, or hand cannon next to you. As Midwest already stated, hearing loss is permanent.

I'm considering the impact sport. If you always double up why would you spend double the money and wear something double the size ? Is the sound quality on the pro much better ?

If you know you're always going to double-up, then I think you're fine with the Sport. But for handgun classes, I prefer to use just the Pro, as it isn't as easy for me to hear instructions with the Sport doubled up with the Surefires. Pros are also handy when bringing newbies to the range. Helps to make sure they won't have problems hearing instructions compared to when doubled up. But my preferred set-up for everyday range use are the Sports doubled up.

And for doubling up, Surefire earpro is much more convenient compared to plugs. They cost more, but you don't have to worry about rolling them up and are far more convenient to wear and remove repeatedly.

Actual question..  what to HL Pro's do that HL Impact Sport + foam plugs underneath don't do?

For me, advantage of HL Pros solo is convenience. Easier to hear conversations and to take on and off. But in terms of hearing protection, I find the combination of Impact Sports and plugs to be superior.

You don't have to wear foam plugs underneath for the same protection ??

i guess so, but i like the slim factor of the sports more, especially when doing rifles..  and if i have to move one off my ear for proper cheek placement, i would still have the foams in

This will be thread drift here. But I've seen a lot of videos of pro shotgun shooters and their stocks never hit their muffs. Know why? Because they are not tilting their head SIDEWAYS to get the cheek weld. They bring the gun up tp their face, not the cheek down to the gun.

I've been working on getting the gun more on my CHEST instead of the collar bone area so I don't have to tilt the head sideways thus knocking the muffs.