Krdshrk

OBRPC 3-Gun 9/27/15

OBRPC's September 3-Gun registration is open.

http://www.steelscoring.com/#/events

Not sure of the actual requirements yet for ammo...  I'm sure Jim Norman will chime in :)

If you want to compete and may be short on equipment, post up here...  

Ammo Requirements

Are you walking to the match? 200 Rifle, 200 Pistol, 200 SG, 20 Slugs

Are you driving to the match? Double or triple the above.

We cannot give you a round count, we will attempt to give you a HIT count. How many rounds it takes to get the hits is not something we are comfortable guessing at. Some people will use no more rounds than the absolute minimum. Others shall require an ammo carrier! No target is impossible. Some people do get a lot more funtime than others and have a higher round count.

Just sayin.

Seriously I am sure we'll post a hit count in a week or so.

2 weeks to go until hammer down on the September 3Gun at Old Bridge.

We are sitting about half full.

If you have questions regarding the match ask me, Dave or Vlad.

Due to short range (100 yards) we generally don't run a Heavy Metal division as it is too likely to damage our steel.

There will be paper, steel and clay targets for you to enjoy. Most stages are 3 guns.

We do not have a round count yet, but with 6 stages figure if you have 200 each for rifle, pistol and birdshot and maybe 10 slugs you should be good. Check back next week as we may have a more definite answer regarding the number of HITS in the match, Round count is always up to the shooter!

I am intrigued....

I have never shot a 3 gun match (any match besides static/knockdown steel comps).

Are first timers welcome?

What kind of shotgun ammo is needed?

Anything I need to do before hand?

Aside from pistol, shotgun, rifle, what kind of equipment is needed?

How much shotgun ammo do you generally have to carry to the line? (I have a rifle and pistol rig, would need to add a way to carry gauge ammo).

New shooters are welcome, we all started somewhere.

Usually if you have an extra 20 or so SG rounds you will be OK, to start out a pouch will work. Most of the regulars have various types of shell holders, I'd suggest not spending money on gear until you see it in use. Do show up early as we always appreciate build help and also you will need to go through a safety check.

First timers are ALWAYS welcomed because how the hell we would we ever get second timers if we didn't :)  Of course, you have to put up with a safety speech from me for 20-30 min, so there is that downside.

Shotgun ammo will probably be lots of birdshot (8 to 6, 7.5 is a really good number) and some slugs. Sometimes we use buck, but it is a pain to score and reset for 60 people which is why use use birdshot for most shots.

You will need a way to carry ammo to the line, probably 2-3 pistol mags, 2-3 rifle mags (because NJ) and a way to carry  12-24 shotgun rounds. The shotgun carriers are probably the MOST specialized bit of kit we use, the serious 3gunners will be using things that look like nothing else out there, but the reality is that any method letting your carry ammo and shove it into the gun will work for your first match. I've used the Pancho Villa type belts, Blackhawk Pouches, shotgun mounted saddles, belt mounted caddies, dropped leg rigs, my pockets, etc.

Here is the good news, if you tell me you are coming and that you need some shotgun ammo carriers, I can shove into my bag a PILE of different options you can borrow and choose from, because I've used them all before I went to the race caddies I use now.

As for what else people need to do before hand, the biggest problem I see (besides people who don't know how their guns work of if they work at all) is not knowing zero's and sigh offsets for your equipment. I doubt you will have this issue, but you should probably have a good idea where your rifle hits between muzzle and 100 yards (and 400y, but at OB that won't matter) and also where your slugs hit between 10 and 100 yards.

Dude come on out, I'll bring whatever you don't have, and you'll have fun, I have yet to meet a SINGLE person who shot a 3gun match and then said "Well, that was ok, but meh".

LoL , that picture is pretty funny Nick.

Vlad, no - I have no interest in watching a bunch of guys spend 3/4 of the stage trying to bumble in some shotgun reloads, and then the rest shooting ( missing ) a steel target at like 300 yards for like 6 minutes.

I'd rather go to the dentist. 

So what you are saying is you haven't done it, you don't want to watch it, you don't know what the time outs are, but you decided it is bad, despite the fact it is the probably the fastest growing shooting sport. I mean it makes sense I suppose you think revolvers are cool and worth racing ;)

Can I interest you in a penny farthing racing league?

pennyracing_zpsaec96df2.jpg

So what you are saying is you haven't done it, you don't want to watch it, you don't know what the time outs are, but you decided it is bad, despite the fact it is the probably the fastest growing shooting sport. I mean it makes sense I suppose you think revolvers are cool and worth racing ;)

Can I interest you in a penny farthing racing league?

pennyracing_zpsaec96df2.jpg

Alec needs to wear a top hat an a monocle next match....

If I'm honest, so do I. As for beating me, that's not hard dude, set your sights higher.

Beat Jim Norman.

:onthequiet:

Trying to break into the top 5 at our locals with a minor pf revolver among the sea of major PF limited and open shooters is a challenge. Almost there, almost.