NJGF

Speedloaders For a S&W 617 10 Shot Revolver

I want to purchase some speedloaders for a S&W 617 10 shot 22 revolver.

I found three brands:

1. DS-10 (there seem to be a few varieties)
  2. Ansac
  3. Speed Beez

I would be interested in hearing the pro's and con's of each of them.

How do you intend to use them. Are shooting in some type of competition, where you will be loading "on the clock" (ICORE Rimfire for instance)? Or do you just want the convenience for when you go to the range or shoot steel?

I was only familiar with Speed Beez, but in perusing the websites of the other two offerings, they all work essentially the same way - which is the main problem that I see with rimfire speed loaders. There is a small spring around the circumference of the body of the speed loader. It is this spring that retains the cartridges. The top of the loader has "fingers", one for each cartridge, that push the cartridge past the spring and into the chamber.

As such, the cartridges are not real secure. If you drop one in the course of loading, you will lose some rounds. If you are loading on the clock, should you pull one quickly from the pouch on your belt, you have to make sure that you pull straight up, or, likewise, you'll find yourself minus some rounds. The same goes for aligning the bullet noses with the charge holes.

Dade speed loaders use this same retention method (circumferential spring) on their center fire loaders - which is why you see serious competitors using Safariland Comp III's or Jet Loaders.

AFAIK, there is nothing better than those you list - you just have to learn to live with the shortcomings. The DS-10 and Speed Beez both make use of injection molded components while the Ansac is all metal - which as far as I can see, only adds cost.

I witnessed an Expert rated revolver shooter use a model 617 to shoot a course of fire, and even he left loaded rounds on the course from not being careful when pulling the loaders from the pouch.

Good luck - I'd go for the least expensive of the three you list since, unless there is some hidden, miracle improvement that I don't know about (and there could be), they will probably all perform pretty much the same.

Alec may be along to put in his $.02 - he shoots static steel rimfire, so I don't know what he uses, as speed isn't a criteria.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob covered it pretty well, The *level/quality* of speedloader will depend entirely on what you plan on using them for.

If you plan on doing some plinking, or some steel challenge with it ( no reloads on the clock ) a case with some DS10 / Speed beez loaders will work fine, DS-10s are the original, and the speed beez are rip offs. That being said, they both work fine, though - the speed beez i've had starting falling apart of 2 years of heavy use.

If you plan on doing reloads on the clock, the Ansac is the way to go, The thing is awesome, and loads really well. 

You can purchase all of this things, loaders, and cases for ammo and the loaders and belt rigs over at www.4wheelguns.com , tell Bob I sent you over.

examples:

ansac_loader_5.jpg

1060.jpg

Ansac_Speed_Loader_Aluminum.JPG

I have the speed bees version and the only thing I don't like is the part the pushes each round out of retention doesn't quite push them far enough. If there's much fouling in the chambers the rounds don't fully seat and the cylinder won't close. If they were pushed that little bit farther when the base of the speed loader was touching the center of the cylinder star it would be great.

I will be doing static steel so no reloads on the clock. The fact that Alec has started having problems after a couple of years is making me lean towards the Ansac.

For plinking I really enjoy loading the cartridges by hand. Something very cool and serene about it.

Thanks for the info and I will let you know what I finally do and how it works out.

Here's one I didn't even know about. Appears to be unique and they are a machine shop, so probably their own. May be the best of the bunch - for the money.

http://allchingunparts.com/product-info.php?pid17.html

May be worth buying one to try.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I purchased the Ansac and it looks nice and works great. Looks very well built.

Do people that shoot static steel typically get 5 speed loaders or would they use one and reload it at the start of each string (using a reloading block)?

I purchased the Ansac and it looks nice and works great. Looks very well built.

Do people that shoot static steel typically get 5 speed loaders or would they use one and reload it at the start of each string (using a reloading block)?

User choice.

I have a 4 speedloaders in my reloading block, only use one and pick up as I go.