lunker

Finnish Mosin M39 at Classic Firearms

Want a Mosin that will actually shoot straight? The Finns stripped down Russin Mosins and rebarreled them to be accurate rifles. 

$349 at Classic Firearms. I got the hand-picked VKT. They are sold out of hand-picked Sako manufactured.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/finnish-m39-mosin-nagant-rifle-762x54r?utm_source=Classic+Firearms&utm_campaign=b145dc31b5-Mailchimp_2015-09-11_m39_80&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_afe48e03d8-b145dc31b5-238456289

Haha no one knows what you're talking about, Lunker!

I am going to gamble and probably get one. I hate ordering with a luck of a draw, that's why I prefer private or online sales with descriptions and pictures but we will see.

Classic Arms is a well regarded company. And I paid the extra $20 for hand-picked VKT. It seemed like a good gamble. And everyone wants the Sako rifles, maybe just because they know the name. From everything I read, there isn't a difference in quality and there were actually more Sako made than VKT. So who knows. 

Sako and VKT barreled m39s are pretty much the same. Sako m39s tend to gain more value because of one small thing - the gear wheel logo. Plain and simple. Just like m24's and the Christmas tree logo, although there is more to it than just that.

I don't like this move Classic did but I'm also not a huge fan of their company. I debated ordering but held back. I do realize they are a business looking for profit but Pat had an excellent routine and I much preferred that as did a lot of collectors. I kind of feel bad because most of Classics usual customers don't realize they won't really be getting any rare or uncommon guns, or at least any creme of the crop.

Alden found a small stash of 91/30's he will be releasing as well as some k31's. He flat out hasn't said anything about m39s so far but he may have gotten some, who knows.

Sako and VKT barreled m39s are pretty much the same. Sako m39s tend to gain more value because of one small thing - the gear wheel logo. Plain and simple. Just like m24's and the Christmas tree logo, although there is more to it than just that.

I don't like this move Classic did but I'm also not a huge fan of their company. I debated ordering but held back. I do realize they are a business looking for profit but Pat had an excellent routine and I much preferred that as did a lot of collectors. I kind of feel bad because most of Classics usual customers don't realize they won't really be getting any rare or uncommon guns, or at least any creme of the crop.

Alden found a small stash of 91/30's he will be releasing as well as some k31's. He flat out hasn't said anything about m39s so far but he may have gotten some, who knows.

Hey Drez,

I never knew any of the backstory. What exactly did Classic do that is unsavory? I do remember that Classic was well thought of on the AK forums I used to frequent  a few years back. I was mainly looking for a shooter rather than a collector, which is why I went for better condition condition rather than Sako. And I never, ever see M39's at gun shows any more. My original plan was to get a 1903 Springfield again, but this is the cheaper option in terms of rifle and ammo. I am hoping the accuracy is on a par. 

Hey Drez,

I never knew any of the backstory. What exactly did Classic do that is unsavory? I do remember that Classic was well thought of on the AK forums I used to frequent  a few years back. I was mainly looking for a shooter rather than a collector, which is why I went for better condition condition rather than Sako. And I never, ever see M39's at gun shows any more. My original plan was to get a 1903 Springfield again, but this is the cheaper option in terms of rifle and ammo. I am hoping the accuracy is on a par. 

Sorry I'm late Lunker but I did want to respond. 

This whole M39 craze right now has caused a lot of commotion not only in general, but mostly the collecting community. I speak for myself but mostly for the collector side. For the past many years, one person (WGA) owned the last 10-15k M39's that the Finn army released. They would sell 10-20 every couple months and include detailed descriptions and pictures. Many people were happy with this business while others not so much. Some accused them of switching stocks, not replacing shims, etc, which to some extent was most likely true. Anyway, most M39's in the US most likely at one point or another went through their hands (and a small amount from SOG and some other importers). 

Supposedly Classic worked out a deal with WGA for many (I don't want to say remaining) of their M39's. Ok, whatever, that's gun business. Any gun company especially importers usually buy and sell within the community from other businesses, that's nothing new.

The problem with Classic in my opinion is their business practices which leave much to be desired. They have been accused of deleting negative reviews off their website and their crappy customer service. And most of us know their "car salesman" marketing technique they use for all their surplus guns. "Buy now because these are the last K31's we will be getting!!!!"….and then in three weeks they get another batch. They're marketing is very gimmicky, but you know what, it does work and lots of people buy.

A more prominent problem they've had and one that makes me frustrated is their 'hand select' option. Frequently sending people garbage guns that paid extra for a hand select. For one, that sucks to pay an extra fee only to receive a POS. But it seems as though Classic doesn't unwrap imported guns so technically they should not be offering a hand select option. They say 'best out of 5 externally' and that bothers me. If they are charging a customer extra money for a hand selected gun, that hand selected gun should be physically inspected between 5 others to find which one has the best stock/blueing/bore/etc. These M39's weren't wrapped but they sated on the site that it was going to be 'cosmetically inspected'. A forum board member had also bought an SKS hand select and when it arrived it had a sewer bore. Classic did not offer anything other than a refund but customer had to pay shipping back. I don't like that one bit.

I've seen a few of Classic's m39's get posted up recently and one guy paid the hand select fee for a wall hanger. Cracks all over and just a real beat up rifle. 

I understand Classic and 99% of other gun companies are out to make money and profit, that's fine, but Classic just practices a lot of negative behavior that I don't like. And I know most customers that bought their m39's probably aren't collectors and just want something to shoot which is fine, I just don't think many of those customers know what's going on.

And a side note, I do hope you get a nice hand selected VKT. M39's are incredible surplus rifles that still shoot so damn good many, many years later. With hand loads, many m39 owners are shooting some impressive groupings but even with factory surplus x54R, you can still expect good accuracy. The Finn's really knew what they were doing with previous M models but the M39 was probably their best (although some will argue and say m28/30 or m28).

Thanks Drez. It seems like Classic Arms' reputation has fallen off since I was last reading about them on the AK Files. 

It looks like I will need to keep my fingers crossed. That, and bring a critical eye and a bore light with me when I see the gun at the FFL. I won't hesitate to refuse the transfer on inspection if the gun is crap. I give enough business to the FFL that I don't think he'd mind the hassle too much. 

Any update, Lunker, or anyone who ordered one? I am curious to see the condition of yours. So far I haven't seen many nice ones so I'm hoping you got lucky with yours.

Hey Drez. I got mine. Picked it up Thursday night. The wood is pretty good and there was only minor bluing loss on the receiver and muzzle. It was difficult to tell the bore condition in the store because of the goop in the barrel. After cleaning it, I am very happy with it. I used bore foam and everything came out. Very strong rifling. I hope to take it out this weekend and see if it shoots straight. I haven't checked to see if it was counter-bored, but considering how nice the rifling is, I assume it isn't. 

Hey Drez. I got mine. Picked it up Thursday night. The wood is pretty good and there was only minor bluing loss on the receiver and muzzle. It was difficult to tell the bore condition in the store because of the goop in the barrel. After cleaning it, I am very happy with it. I used bore foam and everything came out. Very strong rifling. I hope to take it out this weekend and see if it shoots straight. I haven't checked to see if it was counter-bored, but considering how nice the rifling is, I assume it isn't. 

That's great! I'm happy for you and I'm glad you're happy with it. Counter-boring was done to remedy the crown of the barrel, it doesn't associate the barrel as being more or less accurate. Although a lot of my counterbored barrels shoot better than my non counterbored barrels.

These past days have been crazy in the Mosin world. So much drama which IMO has gotten a lot worse than it should but Classic is going to have a PR nightmare from here on out. From what I've seen on multiple forums, about 70-80% of the M39's that have been posted are below average and not worth the price people paid. It's obvious that the Burns were down to the last bunch of theirs that were just "okay."

Wow, sounds like I got lucky. I think picking VKT instead of Sako may have helped me with the condition since they seem to be less popular. I had no idea of the drama behind the scenes. I never did get a chance this weekend to shoot it, so I will wait another week. Where do you read about all this stuff, which forum?

I finally took out the M39. I was hitting a steel 12" silhouette every time at 150yards, and a swinging 4" target most of the time using regular Soviet surplus. The guy shooting his 91/30 down the line could 't believe his eyes.

I do have a question for all you folks that shoot corrosive. Do you bring a squirt bottle of soapy water or windex with you to the range, or just wait until you get home. I used to throw my Arsenal AK74 in the shower when I got home from the range, but I won't do that to a gun with wood furniture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris, don't listen to all that Windex or cayenne pepper mixed with mountain dew talk (kidding). 

Hot water works best. I would remove the bolt and spray the bolt, chamber internals, and bore with water from a spray bottle or from a bottle. Then get home, strip it down, and flush all the parts with hot water. Then clean and lube or grease as normal.

People make such a big deal about it but it's really nothing. I don't do anything at the range but I make sure to clean when I get home.