Sign in to follow this  
El_Mal90

Just Finished My First Build

Well, I just finished my first AR build. I decided to do it in 300 blackout just to have something different (I already have a 5.56). I know the 300 blackout is a little temperamental, but after doing loads of research and talking to a lot of people I think my setup is good to go. I'm heading to the range tomorrow to test it out and tune the gas block. The parts I used are:

Aero: upper, lower, LPK, BCG, buffer, and buffer tube
Strike Industries: Mega Fins XL handguard and ultimate safety selector
Magpul: Fixed Carbine Stock, MOE+ Grip, MBUS front sight, MBUS rear sight, M-LOK polymer rail section, and AFG2
Blackhole Weaponry: 16" 300BLK barrel with 1x7 twist and pistol length gas system
Spikes: Pistol length gas tube
JP: 0.750 Low profile adjustable gas block

I also cerakoted it myself (hence the imperfections). I'll be sure to update on how it goes tomorrow.

2015-09-12%2017.37.14_zpsysenf65j.jpg2015-09-12%2017.35.19_zpsb9loflam.jpg

Thanks guys!

I'm probably going to do the MAG pad.

As for optics, I'm still on the fence. I really want an Aimpoint T1 or H1, but can't really justify spending that much on it. So I started looking at the Holosun micro red dots and the Vortex SPARC II. An EOTECH would also be awesome.

Everything went off without a hitch. Put about 200 rounds through it and zeroed the irons at 50. I'm going to get them zeroed to 100 once it's broken in a little more. Rifle shot great. After I tuned the gas block, I was getting a pile of cases about 5' away at about 3:30. Recoil was definitely less than my 5.56 M&P15, and was reduced further when I switched from a standard carbine buffer to an ST-T2. No signs of gas block movement or missing alignment.

As far as the stock goes, the connection is supposed to butt up against the castle nut, and the screw provides tension on the buffer to keep it from moving. So by just moving it back and putting the screw back, it will just move forward when I push against it and shoot (unless I just drill a hole and pin it. But overall, I sort of like where it is. The additional 1/2" would definitely make it better.

You can use the Magpul PRS Extended buttpad to add additional length to the fixed carbine stock.

As for the zero - doesn't 300BLK drop significantly after 100 yards? 

Found this article regarding zeroing for 300BLK... http://kr-15.com/2013/03/27/proper-zero-for-300-blk/

I read that same article previously, and I will only be doing supers out of the rifle (don't really see the point in doing subs in NJ if I can't get a suppressor). So that's how I came to the 100 yard zero. But yeah the both supers and subs drop significantly more than a 5.56 after 100 yards, especially the subs. They drop like rocks past that.

Thanks guys!

I'm probably going to do the MAG pad.

As for optics, I'm still on the fence. I really want an Aimpoint T1 or H1, but can't really justify spending that much on it. So I started looking at the Holosun micro red dots and the Vortex SPARC II. An EOTECH would also be awesome.

I HIGHLY recommend the Primary Arms Advanced Microdot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk