Sign in to follow this  
Vicious

North Bergen PD Honesty

If anyone is familiar with XXX in Jersey City, you know that you can't make a left onto YYY or ZZZ between 4p.m. and 7p.m. otherwise you get a ticket. They had the trap set up one day, and my girlfriend made a RIGHT onto the block. The officer who already had a few others pulled over looked up and flagged her down. She stopped and he asked for D/L and registration. He said nothing else. After a few minutes he came back with a ticket. When she read it, she told him that she made a right, and his response was "you should have told me." Then he told her to go to court and ask for the officer. 

When she told me about it, I told her that he was wrong. Why should she miss a day of work for a ticket he should not have written. I called the main NBPD number, and was told the officer can void the ticket. Upon hearing that, I went back and he said he would do it (grudgingly). 

Fast forward to today, she gets a letter from NBMu Courts for failure to appear/ pay. 

This is now going to be a he said, she said, but I am not letting this go. I have a lot of officers in my family, and I am in the process of becoming one myself. This lack of integrity, and blatant dishonesty is part of what makes ALL officers look bad.

Anyways, this isn't just a rant, I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas for what to do next. I'm going to start calling up some family. I hate to ask for favors though. lol

ETA: I removed the street names.

I figured out many years ago that this state has some very corrupt cops and court systems that work hand in hand. They are just a big money making machine.  

There is no cheap way out of any of it. If you want to live here you have to just sucks it up and give them their cut.

Don't stress over it, just take the points, pay an arm and a leg for insurance and just work more hours. 

That's what I do...

In the late 80s I received a parking ticket from Jersey City, at place at that point is never been. I called and said that's my plate number but not my car after checking to see if my plates were missing. The cop I spoke to st JCPD said well that's too bad and explain it to the judge. I was still in school and working after class but now I had to appear in JC because some dumbass didn't want to do his job. It took multiple visits to the prosecutor during my day there when he finally said welcome to JC tell it to the judge. Sat around all day, missed class, missed work (and I needed that money for rent), finally got to the judge, explained it and he was apologetic and through it out. He also said appearing in court was unnecessary that someone should've worked it out. Like a dick I said I spoke to the prosecutor a few times and gave up the names of the two cops who all but told me to screw. Then I left.

My younger brother is a cop in Newark and is the most professional guy I know. He'd never treat someone poorly or shirk his responsibility. I'm sure there are many just like him. It doesn't sound like the guy you're dealing with is one of them.

In the late 80s I received a parking ticket from Jersey City, at place at that point is never been. I called and said that's my plate number but not my car after checking to see if my plates were missing. The cop I spoke to st JCPD said well that's too bad and explain it to the judge. I was still in school and working after class but now I had to appear in JC because some dumbass didn't want to do his job. It took multiple visits to the prosecutor during my day there when he finally said welcome to JC tell it to the judge. Sat around all day, missed class, missed work (and I needed that money for rent), finally got to the judge, explained it and he was apologetic and through it out. He also said appearing in court was unnecessary that someone should've worked it out. Like a dick I said I spoke to the prosecutor a few times and gave up the names of the two cops who all but told me to screw. Then I left.

My younger brother is a cop in Newark and is the most professional guy I know. He'd never treat someone poorly or shirk his responsibility. I'm sure there are many just like him. It doesn't sound like the guy you're dealing with is one of them.

There are many! I know quite a few, and I have dinner with some. That's why it's so disheartening to see someone who just doesn't care. Personally, I'd be scared to do what he did. What if everything was recorded? That's another topic though.

Unfortunately it sounds like forgot to void the ticket, possibly just a mistake.

Call the Lt at the PD (his boss) and explain what happened. Tell the Lt, your brother cousin or sister Srgt of blah blah PD told you to call him to get it straightened out because the officer told you he would void the ticket already.

Also call the court and ask to speak with the Court ADMINISTRATOR and explain you spoke to the officer and Lt SoAndSo and explain what happened.

You can get it straightened out over the phone.

A good friend of mine records video on his cell phone when he gets pulled over for this reason. 

There's nothing like high quality video and a lawyer to back up your side of the story.

Just hope you don't get shot fiddling with a shiny metallic device in your hand when he walks up.

Unfortunately it sounds like forgot to void the ticket, possibly just a mistake.

Call the Lt at the PD (his boss) and explain what happened. Tell the Lt, your brother cousin or sister Srgt of blah blah PD told you to call him to get it straightened out because the officer told you he would void the ticket already.

Also call the court and ask to speak with the Court ADMINISTRATOR and explain you spoke to the officer and Lt SoAndSo and explain what happened.

You can get it straightened out over the phone.

I've known too many people in Jersey that took care of things this way, and after everything was cleared, they found out they had a bench warrant at the most inopportune moment. When the government makes simple accounting mistakes we go to jail until things get cleared up. Sometimes after a felony stop and almost getting killed. Sometimes not almost.

I'm not going to wave a telephone conversation log at cops pointing guns at me.

They obviously did not handle it the exact way I stated.

The court ADMIN will tell you whether you have a warrant or not. The court admin is not a clerk of the court, they run the court.

I've known too many people in Jersey that took care of things this way, and after everything was cleared, they found out they had a bench warrant at the most inopportune moment. When the government makes simple accounting mistakes we go to jail until things get cleared up. Sometimes after a felony stop and almost getting killed. Sometimes not almost.

I'm not going to wave a telephone conversation log at cops pointing guns at me.

late 1990's.  Got a notice in the mail that there was a bench warrant for my arrest for failing to appear in court.  The notice had a new court date.  I never knew about the old court date that I missed or what the original charges were against me.   I call the court.  I failed to pay a bunch of parking tickets.  I call the PD, they pull the tickets and I got a bunch of tickets for parking in a place I've never been - on dates that I know I was somewhere else - with my car.

I was missing a license plate.  I go to the PD to report the license plate stolen.  The don't believe me but they take the report anyway.  On the drive home, I pass a car - same make, model, year, and color as mine.  My passenger says "That car has your plate on it".   We pull over, write down the VIN and return to the PD.  Again, nobody believes us.  One officer agrees to follow us to the car.  It's got my license on the front an a Maryland tag on the back.  They call a tow truck to impound the car.

I go to court armed with my police report that says that a car with my stolen plate was impounded.  The officer who wrote the tickets gets on the stand.  He has no idea that I have a report from his own PD that says the car he ticketed had a NJ plate on the front and a MD plate on the rear.  I get to question him.  I ask if he checked the front or back plate.  He says that he's certain he checked both - every time he wrote me a ticket.  He always checks both plates. 

late 1990's.  Got a notice in the mail that there was a bench warrant for my arrest for failing to appear in court.  The notice had a new court date.  I never knew about the old court date that I missed or what the original charges were against me.   I call the court.  I failed to pay a bunch of parking tickets.  I call the PD, they pull the tickets and I got a bunch of tickets for parking in a place I've never been - on dates that I know I was somewhere else - with my car.

I was missing a license plate.  I go to the PD to report the license plate stolen.  The don't believe me but they take the report anyway.  On the drive home, I pass a car - same make, model, year, and color as mine.  My passenger says "That car has your plate on it".   We pull over, write down the VIN and return to the PD.  Again, nobody believes us.  One officer agrees to follow us to the car.  It's got my license on the front an a Maryland tag on the back.  They call a tow truck to impound the car.

I go to court armed with my police report that says that a car with my stolen plate was impounded.  The officer who wrote the tickets gets on the stand.  He has no idea that I have a report from his own PD that says the car he ticketed had a NJ plate on the front and a MD plate on the rear.  I get to question him.  I ask if he checked the front or back plate.  He says that he's certain he checked both - every time he wrote me a ticket.  He always checks both plates.

I had a similar issue once... in my case, a case of "bad handwriting." I was given a "notice to appear" (and threatened with a bench warrant for failure to appear)

in the "Orange" Municipal Court based on a ticket that I'd never received, and for which I had never been in Orange. I get there, and there's like a line in front

of the "court administrator." And from the transactions I was witnessing, this was one lady you didn't want to pi$$ off. You had to kill her with kindness!

When my turn came, I explained the situation. She said, "OK, I'll pull the ticket and check." Sure enough, the issuing officer doesn't know his/her "I's" from

his/her "Ts" etc. Definitely bad handwriting on the ticket. Even she was pi$$ed at the issuing officer. 5 more minutes and I was out the door with an

apology letter from the judge.

Not to bust balls but she should have gone to "court." Up here I believe they only have evening sessions. Never trust anything that serious to someone's word, especially in Hudson Cty., especially since the guy was obviously a jerk. 

Got a parking ticket once in JC. Parked in a row where there were no meters, just the posts. Came out a while later, meters installed and a ticket on my windshield. Ha Ha Ha Funny joke, pig shit. Smashed in the front of all the meters then left. Hope the $3 ticket covered that.