High Exposure

FireClean is Cooking Oil

Oh no? Salesman in commercials stretch the truth? OMG I was so sure it was both less filling AND it tasted great, my entire life was a lie!!!

Seriously, discovering that a plant based oil is plant based is somehow a huge breaking story, and that advertisements use trickery and slight of hand is the hard hitting journalism we were all waiting for?

I mean sure, I don't buy the logic that more smoke equals gooder oil to begin with, but I don't think the plot is thickening, I'm not sure there is even a plot. 

On the other hand, if you made hero's of retired people with youtube channels and thought they would never lie to you when they are trying to sell you a product, I'm not sure what I can do for you. LAV is like the Billy Mays of the gun world. 

I know everyone is having fun with the whole crisco comparison but, it clearly states in there patent application that it is based on vegetable plant oils. I would love to see someone do a 15,000 round test with Crisco and see how that works out. I've never used a CLP that works as good as FIREclean and that's all I need to know. When it takes me just a few minutes to clean an AR after a weekend course, I'm convinced. I don't experience anything gummy or the like. The stuff is amazing when it's applied as instructed.

Man mobil one.....I have a hard enough time cleaning my guns running mpro7..... must be a bia!#h cleaning used motor oil ;)

I guess that didn’t come out right, LOL. For example if the car takes 5.5 quarts the 1/2 quart gets allocated to the oil can. I only use new oil, used oil get drained and goes directly to the Recycle center.  

I guess that didn’t come out right, LOL. For example if the car takes 5.5 quarts the 1/2 quart gets allocated to the oil can. I only use new oil, used oil get drained and goes directly to the Recycle center.

Oh...o.k .... I thought you meant burned up used oil....lol

My grandfather always used plain old LARD to lube his guns.  AFAIK, he never used anything else in his 96 years on this earth...except in Europe in the mid '40s when he used the fat drippings from whatever meat was cooked and military issued lube was scarce during the rainy season on France.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Plant based lubricants have been around for a long time, even in modern formulations and uses. Here is an example that I found http://gemtek.com/products/safe-lube/product-line/safe-lube-industrial-lubricants/ .

Ballistol comes to mind which uses a blend of mineral and plant based components. Mineral oil is petrol-chemical derived, but is fairly inert and even used in pharmaceutical grades for ingestion as a laxative.

Plant based oils used for industry are typically processed, e.g. hydrogenation, polymerization. This improves qualities desirable as a lube, and also extends its shelf life tremendously. What do you know, Crisco is a blend of fully and partially hydrogenated soybean and palm oils. Its no wonder they may share some chemical similarities with FC.

I use Mobil1 Synthetic (left over from oil changes) on rifle moving parts and Hoppes Gun Oil or similar on handguns. I then like apply Tetra Gun cleaner/lube to the finish on both handguns and rifles

Curious, why not use Mobil 1 Synthetic on your handguns as well?

Almost none are designed for firearms, they are most often adopted from other applications.

I can't agree more. Like Slip EWL, my fav gun oil. It's synthetic hydrocarbon based and probably shares most of its chemistry with other synthetic hydrocarbon industrial lubricants like synthetic motor and gear oil. Where things differ is the blending of the base oils and the additive package. What makes sense for an engine in terms of blend and additives may not make sense for a gun and visa versa. Some examples are anti foaming agents and viscosity modifier additives. The less chemicals inevitably in contact with my skin, the better.

Curious, why not use Mobil 1 Synthetic on your handguns as well?

No particular reason other than when I overdo the lube it’s a little less of a mess. If I go overboard on the Saiga its not that big of a deal, if I Mobil1 up a handgun it gets ugly.  Plus Hoppes is decent stuff IMHO, its been around forever.

No particular reason other than when I overdo the lube it’s a little less of a mess. If I go overboard on the Saiga its not that big of a deal, if I Mobil1 up a handgun it gets ugly.  Plus Hoppes is decent stuff IMHO, its been around forever.

Gotcha. Personally I prefer high temp wheel bearing grease, rather than synthetic motor oil, for my pistols.