Jackruf

Found Capture Papers

My late father brought back an all matching (with exception of mag) SVT 40 from the Normandy theatre. I would say it is 9/10. I was visiting my 88 year old uncle down in Lakewood yesterday and he handed me an envelope with the capture papers to the rifle. He found them cleaning out old files.

Having possession of this piece of history with the personal background and established provenance is an honor beyond words. I remember as a kid a major treat was dad letting us hold the "Russian Rifle". And then like all of his generation, it went back in the closet next to his old Eisenhower Jacket with his sargent stripes, without fanfare.

Fortunately my adult children were as excited to hear of the find as I was.

Great, proud family history

a capture papered, german used svt...with the provenace to prove it ...is worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to say the least.

you sir, are a luck guy

Thank you. I am just happy to have this great piece of history. Also have a K98 and Styer M95 with capture papers. The Mauser is all matching with exception of bolt. M95 is in "ok" condition.

That's fantastic. 

To think, people captured Mausers, MP40s, Lugers, Arisakas, and a plethora of other things, plus sneaking home Allied weapons. But that SVT got lifted from a Russian, made it to the other front, and then captured again. Astounding.

What was the rifle doing from 1945-when you got it? I can't imagine there was a lot of x54r available until the 1990's. Any ammo on hand Dad probably captured..

That's fantastic. 

What was the rifle doing from 1945-when you got it? I can't imagine there was a lot of x54r available until the 1990's. Any ammo on hand Dad probably captured..

You are exactly right, there was no ammo to be had. It went unfired for decades. In the late 60s- early 70s he managed to find a package of 20 rounds. But when it was fired the brass was so brittle the rims blew off. So back in the closet it went until about three years ago when my 17 year old son took an interest, detail stripped it and changed the main spring. We ordered ammo, said a few Hail Marys and pulled the trigger. Fired and cycled like new.

You are exactly right, there was no ammo to be had. It went unfired for decades. In the late 60s- early 70s he managed to find a package of 20 rounds. But when it was fired the brass was so brittle the rims blew off. So back in the closet it went until about three years ago when my 17 year old son took an interest, detail stripped it and changed the main spring. We ordered ammo, said a few Hail Marys and pulled the trigger. Fired and cycled like new.

Regardless of the $$$$$$$ value with the papers. The sentimental value is worth a thousand times that dollar value!  I traded a Mauser that my Dad  bought for $20 at a local bar for a really well done Mauser 30.06 sporterized rifle!

Now that he is gone, I wish I still had the one he gave me!

Your rifle has so many more years and so much more history that I am sure you will never part with it! It will, as do with most things, after generations go by,  just become an object that is worth money!!! All you can do is to impress on your children and grandchildren to carry on the legacy and respect where it came from!

My Son has no interest in guns and I have guns from my Grandfather including a never fired Springfield 1903! Upon my death, I have no doubt he will sell them all as my wife also has no interest in guns! Such a shame!

Makes me wonder where that ammo came from. I know we made Mosin Nagants for pre communist Russia, so possibly there. Otherwise it's likely that ammo was captured in Vietnam or something.

I find it interesting to think that the x54r I buy was only available as captured at one point.

There may have been some 54r floating around before the early 90's. The Spanish and Fins had Mosins that were imported before the 90's (a lot of the Spanish stuff was imported in the 50's). Also, don't forget, the Canadians were trading with the com block countries for years before we did, some of that stuff filtered down south of the border as well.

Makes me wonder where that ammo came from. I know we made Mosin Nagants for pre communist Russia, so possibly there. Otherwise it's likely that ammo was captured in Vietnam or something.

I find it interesting to think that the x54r I buy was only available as captured at one point.

7.62x54r was loaded by the big American companies and Norma back in the 70s. It sounds like the stuff your father found was some surplus stuff.

If you can post the papers I'd be very interested to see them.

You know, there are some (rare) photos of US soldiers in Normandy theater with the SVT40, as I recall, one is of some ground men and the others are a group of paratroops. Only 1 German division in Normandy held SVT40 rifles in their inventory at the time.

If you can post the papers I'd be very interested to see them.

You know, there are some (rare) photos of US soldiers in Normandy theater with the SVT40, as I recall, one is of some ground men and the others are a group of paratroops. Only 1 German division in Normandy held SVT40 rifles in their inventory at the time.

Sorry for delay.  Paper is not in best of shape, but is definitive. I also posted the matching serial on the SVT 40. From what I understand, the Carcano listed on the paper was given away shortly after his discharge. I have separate capture papers listing a Mauser K98 and Steyer 6.5MM, both of which I do have.

Perhaps when the weather warms up in the spring, if we can snag some non corrosive ammo, we can arrange a meet up at an outdoor range. Shooting these beasts indoors is not pleasant (ask me how I know)...

post-3342-0-41355300-1452437499_thumb.jpgpost-3342-0-95420500-1452437499_thumb.jpg

If these pictures are difficult to see, I would welcome some instructions on how to post bigger pictures or send the jpg directly.

Andy