peppers

handicap access

anyone know a reputable company for handicapping a house? my fiancee is going through brain surgery in 2 weeks for chiari malformation. if she survives the surgery she will be in a wheelchair for a decent amount of time while she gets rehab for her motor skills. id like to price out a ramp and making the house easier for her to get around in.

holy crap I hope everything turns out ok! call your local health department, they might offer a free service where a person will come to your house and make suggestions on ramps, grab rails, toilet extensions ect. they would have a list of company's that could install ramps. Also I know there are companys where you can rent portable modular ramps but I don't know the name of the company. ill see if I can find out. If you need a temporary live in care giver I highly recommend "Comfort Keepers" their care givers are all bonded and insured, one of my wifes jobs is answering the phone for Flemington comfort keepers on nights and weekends.  At least make sure that any care giver you use is bonded and insured. If you have any questions or need advice feel free to PM me, I have allot of experience with handicapped/ disabled people. I take care of 2 people in their 90's and my mother had a stroke when I was very young so she has been disabled my entire conscious life. GOOD LUCK! 

Would this help at all?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb-capacity-convertible-aluminum-loading-ramp-94057.html

Looks like it'd be able to accommodate a wheelchair easily.  Not sure about the angles but it's relatively cheap - especially with the 20% off coupons...

Building codes call out ramps at a slope of 1 inch per foot. Anything steeper is difficult to maneuver. There may be local organizations that will help with the installation, and city building departments  are usually more helpful with information and permits for such cases.