Earlswagger

The wait...educate me on the pistol permit

So, with mental health now being done online instead of the local PD sending something off to state police, what is truly the hold up when getting a pistol permit?

I submitted to local department July 22. I guess I'm just curious what they can't do in house and might truly be "waiting" to hear back about. Or is this the typical Dick Dance we go thru in Nj. I have not had to purchase in a long time- lived in free america for years. So this is new-ish to me.

Thanks for any in site/ enlightenment on the topic.

If you mean the S212A, that's not the mental health check. It's the "Criminal Background Check."  If you already have your FPID, this should go pretty quickly, since you already have an SBI# (the number that ends in a letter on your FPID).  It's possible that there might be a typo that screws things up, but very unlikely.  If you haven't gotten your FPID yet, it will take longer as you need to submit Fingerprints and get the SBI# created.

The "mental health check" has to do with form SP-066.  This basically authorizes the investigating agency (I assume your local PD) to inquire with county mental health authorities as to whether or not you have had any dealings with them (i.e. adjudicated mentally ill, or ordered to a county or state mental health facility). Assuming your local PD is not deliberately delaying things, this is probably going to be the biggest delay. It just depends on how busy the county adjuster's office is.

What Municipality and what county do you live in?

Another hold-up is caused by References not sending back the questionnaires that the PDs send them to fill out. IMO, this is the most common delay.

True, but that's something that can be tracked and controlled outside the big "black box" of delays the PD can invent. At least up to the point where the reference actually sends in the document. :) 

Ah, thanks HBec, I Thought it was a release to allow mental status. I get it. I am in Hunterdon County, Specifically High Bridge Boro. I do already posses the FPID, This is just a Pistol Permit.

PK-I have asked both references, and they both have not received paperwork, or calls. So, I think that is part of my annoyed state right now.

I called about a month ago, to ask if everything was "OK" I was told - I'm sure it's fine, this takes time. I don't know why they need to take months for something that could/should be done in 30 days. I just wondered what of this is thru waiting and what is them just not wanting to bother.

Ah, thanks HBec, I Thought it was a release to allow mental status.

No, that's what the SP-066 is.

I get it. I am in Hunterdon County, Specifically High Bridge Boro. I do already posses the FPID, This is just a Pistol Permit.

Then things *should* happen pretty quickly, from a "county adjuster's" perspective. If it were Essex, Hudson, Camden, Union, Middlesex or another county with big cities in them, it might take a lot longer.

PK-I have asked both references, and they both have not received paperwork, or calls. So, I think that is part of my annoyed state right now.

Then the delay would seem to fall within the "black box" of the PD. Either they haven't yet sent out the reference letters, or they aren't going to. If your last application was recent enough, and you use the same references, they may not send them out again.But what is the delay, otherwise, other than it being a "deliberate" one to discourage ownership?

I called about a month ago, to ask if everything was "OK" I was told - I'm sure it's fine, this takes time. I don't know why they need to take months for something that could/should be done in 30 days. I just wondered what of this is thru waiting and what is them just not wanting to bother.

I'd call once a month, if not more often. And if I don't get a satisfactory answer, I'd go up the chain of command to the chief, then the mayor, then the NJSP Firearms Identification Unit. I'd also notify the ANJRPC, as they're tracking this and have a major compliance project (Operation Strikeforce) going on. They want to hear about municipalities that delay permits excessively (i.e. beyond the 30 day NJ Standard) or require excessive documentation (i.e. more than the sts-033, sp-066, and S212A).

They may not contact your references. It's not mandatory, it's up to the local PD as to how "in depth" an investigation they want to do.

Since the mental health check os essentially done manually, thet is the largest hold-up. Especially true if you have moved - the SP-066 has multiple address fields that need to be completed depending on the length of time at the address listed. Each address requires a check.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

All great points, and I appreciate the time you are taking to explain. Funny enough, I dropped the paperwork off with the Chief, as the duty officer who handles the firearms processing was not in. I also got the feeling that "Chief" is not a fan of civi gun ownership. Some of his comments went the way of- just let the police handle everything. It's our job. So I suspect this is, as you mentioned. "deliberate" one to discourage ownership.

When I moved back to NJ, and went in for my FPID renewal, duty officer asked me if I was going to register any firearms, knowing it was " at will" I said, I don't think I am required to, Chief comes from around the corner and says, You are correct, you don't have too, I might be crazy, but I think at that point they did not like that I had some info on how the law worked.

I will make a call again next week, as I will be nearing the 2 month mark. 

All great points, and I appreciate the time you are taking to explain. Funny enough, I dropped the paperwork off with the Chief, as the duty officer who handles the firearms processing was not in. I also got the feeling that "Chief" is not a fan of civi gun ownership. Some of his comments went the way of- just let the police handle everything. It's our job. So I suspect this is, as you mentioned. "deliberate" one to discourage ownership.

When I moved back to NJ, and went in for my FPID renewal, duty officer asked me if I was going to register any firearms, knowing it was " at will" I said, I don't think I am required to, Chief comes from around the corner and says, You are correct, you don't have too, I might be crazy, but I think at that point they did not like that I had some info on how the law worked.

At this point, I'd also consider reporting them to ANJRPC, as part of Operation Strikeforce.

Of course they didnt like you had info. You might ask them to do their paoerwork on time next ...hahaa.

God forbid they have the State Police cover the policing of a 3500 person town. I saw their website. One chief, one Sgt and 5 patrolmen. Only positive thing is that they do have the ICE contact info and how to make a complaint on top of their website.

Call your mayor or a council member preferably the one that is up to be to be re elected soon if the chief delays further and the squeaky wheel will get greased.

If i was you i would not change the Drivers License to NJ and keep buying in America.

Interesting info in this thread, thank you guys.  I too submitted my P2P back in July (26th) to my local PD (Brick, in Ocean County).  My references got their sheets and sent them back asap about 2 weeks after I submitted it, they had them in the mail within 2 days.  Meanwhile I'm still sitting here waiting like a schlep with no rights :-(.  The secretary told me it would take "4 months or so, give or take a month or two" when I initially submitted the P2P paperwork, ugh.  Also, I have a friend who is an officer a few towns north of me (Monmouth County) who also said he's been waiting 3 months now for his most recent (he already owns about 10 handguns) P2P to be returned, so clearly it doesn't even matter who you are for how long this process takes, pathetic.

I guess I'll just sit here with my thumb up my.... whistling a tune while I wait.

Ironically I met up with a friend of mine last night who now lives in PA and he was telling me how it took him all of 20 minutes to walk into the gun shop, fill out some paperwork and walk out of said shop with his S&W .40 handgun, in which he then applied for and received his CCW for.  All in less time than it took me to print paperwork, schedule a fingerprint, get fingerprinted and submit said paperwork for my Firearms ID card, that wasn't even to GET the FID card, just to SUBMIT for it... never mind submit and now wait to get my P2P back.  I'm not realizing how bad this state actually is...

Interesting info in this thread, thank you guys.  I too submitted my P2P back in July (26th) to my local PD (Brick, in Ocean County).  My references got their sheets and sent them back asap about 2 weeks after I submitted it, they had them in the mail within 2 days.  Meanwhile I'm still sitting here waiting like a schlep with no rights :-(.  The secretary told me it would take "4 months or so, give or take a month or two" when I initially submitted the P2P paperwork, ugh.  Also, I have a friend who is an officer a few towns north of me (Monmouth County) who also said he's been waiting 3 months now for his most recent (he already owns about 10 handguns) P2P to be returned, so clearly it doesn't even matter who you are for how long this process takes, pathetic.

I guess I'll just sit here with my thumb up my.... whistling a tune while I wait.

Ironically I met up with a friend of mine last night who now lives in PA and he was telling me how it took him all of 20 minutes to walk into the gun shop, fill out some paperwork and walk out of said shop with his S&W .40 handgun, in which he then applied for and received his CCW for.  All in less time than it took me to print paperwork, schedule a fingerprint, get fingerprinted and submit said paperwork for my Firearms ID card, that wasn't even to GET the FID card, just to SUBMIT for it... never mind submit and now wait to get my P2P back.  I'm not realizing how bad this state actually is...

Better late than never.  :)

I just got my PP yesterday.  Applied 7/3... Technically 7/15 because they made me come back to sign additional "releases" (NOT FORMS!  Releases!)  Did the online form 212A on 7/16.  Apparently my references didn't get the reference form in the mail until 8/14.  Those got sent back right away.  Then it got stuck with the family court for the domestic violence check - another 2 weeks.  Then the Detective in charge took vacation, and the chief did too... then when he got back, the secretary was out so he couldn't get access to the typewriter...  was promised the permits last week 9/17, but got them Tuesday, 9/22...  69 days.  Sigh...

This was New Brunswick, btw.