Sign in to follow this  
ZEDisDEAD

Gunsmith For Stock Repair

Looking for a reliable gunsmith for a stock repair job. I live in the Spotswood area, but if I have to travel a bit thats fine.  I have a nick, not a dent in my oil finished, dark walnut grade II/III Browning Citori 725 stock. Its about 1/16 of an inch. Any help would be appreciated. Also  what kind of price would I be looking at? I know it probably sounds like a small thing, but I am not a wood guy...at all, and this is my precious so I am not willing to experiment. Included pic: post-4960-0-62656400-1442721380_thumb.jpg

That is definitely not a steam job. Not sure that is handled best by a smith. Best wood finish repairs I have seen on ultra fine walnut stocks have been done by fine furniture re-finisher. They have things no smith would have. 

Once the wood fibers are cut, steaming with do little to fix your situation as TBill says. I'd put some stock stock filler in that hole, touch it up with some BLO and call it done. Your stock now has a beauty mark that shows it's been used. 

My philosophy, let the wood develop some character from use.

When I retire the gun, or before passing it down, I will make the decision whether or not to restore it.

Otherwise, unless you plan on sending it away to a dedicated stockmaker, your best bet would be a fine furniture repairer/restorer, as stated above.

Do a search (or create an account and post the question) on the trapshooters.com forum.    Your question gets asked (and answered) there a lot.

I know I've seen recommendations for gunsmiths/stock makers in PA (I don't recall the names); not sure if I've seen any in NJ come up.