stevenschaffer

Gotta have a 1911..

Okay so I have about $1200 saved up for a new gun. I would really like to add a 1911 for my collection. For this gun I don't want to get something that is cheap and not well made.. At one point in my search I really wanted a Wilson combat.. But since I don't have 3k.. Does anyone have a idea what would be good for me.. I prefer black, but doesn't have to be. A good trigger,sights, and finish is a must. The gun will be used for targets and maybe fun competition shootings in the future.. I was thinking of a spring field trp. Any suggestions please let me what gun and why I should buy it.. :) Thanks! (Note- I would buy used if the gun is in excellent condition)

Your going to get many, many suggestions; and most of them will be good ones.

1. My $.02, you will not find a better made 1911 for the price than a Dan Wesson.

2. Kimber is also a very good choice, despite what you've heard.

My vote would be for a Kimber. I have a few others but my Kimbers seem to shoot the best for me. The TLE/RL would probably fit the bill for you. Tactical rail and night sights and sells for right around $1200. The Kimber Custom Target II (first one pictured) is the same gun as the TLE/RL but without the rail and with adjustable target sights. I threw in a pic of my Ruger SR1911 for you too. It's a nice gun for the money. I think they sell for about $800 and have some nice features. Probably about on par with a Springfield RO.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a thread to read.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/buyers-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts.511/

Many years ago my 2 BIL and I purchased Colt Gold Cups, could not have been more pleased across the board.  All three have functioned perfectly in all situations.  I realized today's are made under different conditions so I posted this reference as food for thought. Good luck which ever direction you travel.

I would save up a couple hundred more and get a Dan Wesson Valor in duty black. They are as close to a custom 1911 with a reasonable cost... The stainless model can be had for about $1400 and Ceramic black about $1700. Not cheap but made with all quality parts theirs and Ed Browns. I have a Springfield, an STI Lawman, an Ed Brown and 3 DW. My carry is a DW Eco. So I guess I am biased. But I have never had a single issue with the DW that I had with STI (finish) and Springer (broken hammer spring). 

Jimmy

I went with a Ruger SR1911... didn't need a 1911, but wanted one.

Personally, I'd opt for one without the rail, either in Government or Commander size (I prefer the 5").

25E9B319-E909-4E3E-82BB-BD3574695EED_zps

However, I do like the ability to mount a light. But if I did (was going to add a Novak rail, to cover up the warning), I lose a lot of holster compatibility. My choice was Recover Tactical grips for when I want to run a light...

93F93ED4-26EA-4B3A-B2BB-0000635A40DF_zps

If you go on the major forums (either of the AR or 1911 ones), these are so trash talked that it isn't even funny. Having two in hand (original one stippled and pictures, and a current one that works with their holster), they do what they are designed to do, and do it well. No issues with the rail or strength throughout the entire grip. Doesn't make it chunky, either. Company is very interactive with the firearms community, and the designer was in on the Tavor design. They have a complete holster solution, which works with IMI holster platforms (SigTac is their rebranded US design).

Being in NJ, it is a pain in regards to pistol purchases. I don't usually buy handguns that are similar, as I feel it is a waste of time and money (had a .45 and 9mm Beretta PX4, and feel like I took a loss on the .45 I sold). Having two options on the same frame makes it a little easier for me to consider. Same reason why I have a 96G Centurion slide for my Beretta 92 Inox Brigadier, and a 9mm conversion cylinder for my 642-1.

Yeah, you got have at least one 1911 ;-)

What I would do is buy a used Springfield loaded model and shoot it for a few months. Then you will know if you want to do any upgrades (or not) like a trigger job, better sights, a fitted match barrel etc. Once you figure it out then send it off to the Springfield Armory Custom Shop and have them do their magic. Your $700-800 used  Springer will then hold its own with a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, etc and its customized on what YOU want not what the company decides they want to offer you in the features dept.

STI as other said, or hold out and wait for a great deal on a used Wilson Combat or Ed Brown.  I recently picked up a great condition Wilson CQB for under 2k.  Shoots fantastic and is the smoothest 1911 I own, better than the Ed Brown, STI, or Springfield IMO.