jgofnj

Possession of Marijuana dissmissed - being a cop

This question is for police officers and/or those in the field.  Not looking for opinions or thoughts of those who don't know the answer.

About 6 months ago my son (20 years old) was in a parked car with his friend and they were both arrested and charged with possession of less than 50 grams and marijuana.  Eventually the case was dismissed entirely for my son and his friend was eligible for conditional discharge, which he is pursuing.

Two questions.

1) When the case was dismissed (about 2 months ago), he never received any paper work regarding the dismissal.  Should he have received an official notice?  How can we check what his record shows?  Should he call the court house and request documentation?

2) My son is a senior in college and a criminal justice major.  He wants to be a officer officer.  He was arrested but not convicted, he will answer honestly on his application.  He knows what he did was wrong and it was a bad judgement call.  He was never in trouble with the law, has no prior record of any kind, not even a speeding ticket and will never do this again. 

Can he at least get through to an interview before a background check is done and he has an opportunity to explain the arrest?

Will he get a fair chance to become a police officer? 

Your son will have to go to the courthouse and obtain a certified copy of the judgement. He will need a copy of that as any police job will probably ask about the disposition of any arrest and only that certified copy will be accepted as proof. As far as getting a police job, New Jersey is very political if he knows someone and they want to hire him it will be no problem, if the hiring department is looking for an excuse to hire the police chiefs daughters boyfriend or the mayors nephew, then they will use your sons arrest as a reason to not hire him and justify hiring others.

I have a friend who experienced the same exact same thing. He was arrested (maybe even convicted) for possession and being under the influence as a young adult. He's been a county sheriff for about 20 years now I think.

I have a friend who experienced the same exact same thing. He was arrested (maybe even convicted) for possession and being under the influence as a young adult. He's been a county sheriff for about 20 years now I think.

Thanks. Good to know. Although times have changed over the years.