tuktuk

House security system

There were a lot of burglaries in my town and surrounding area lately so I'm thinking about installing some kind of security sys at home.

So can u Gens recommend some trustworthy company / individuals ?

should I go big (ADT and such ) or go with small local guy ?

Besides the obvious reasons, I worry about my boomsticks ending up in the wrong hands ...

I did a Honeywell lynxs system. Easy setup and all wireless. You can add a monitoring station if you like. I didn't so its just a local alarm. I do have cameras inside and out that if someone comes in or around my house I get notifications from it instantly. The camera system is called arlo. The two together work great so if someone breaks in hopefully the alarm scares them off. If they enter I'll see it and could contact PD.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was looking into them recently as well. Mostly Simplisafe. Even being paranoid and overdoing it with monitoring devices, I think I came up with $650 in equipment. I've been looking into the possibility of the system being jammed, and aside from being rare, the system has a proprietary algorithm to detect RF interference. I believe there were three home invasions in New Milford this morning. I used to live there, and it's a quiet town. Just goes to show you never know.  

I was looking into them recently as well. Mostly Simplisafe. Even being paranoid and overdoing it with monitoring devices, I think I came up with $650 in equipment. I've been looking into the possibility of the system being jammed, and aside from being rare, the system has a proprietary algorithm to detect RF interference. I believe there were three home invasions in New Milford this morning. I used to live there, and it's a quiet town. Just goes to show you never know.

Where did you hear about the home invasion in new Milford? I just googled it and came up with nothing

I've had Simplisafe for two years.  Set the alarm off by accident a couple times and the monitoring company was ringing my phone in less than a minute to see if everything was ok.  Did have one weird thing where a motion detector went off for no reason but other than that, no complaints.  One window sensor broke after a year and they sent me a new one for free.  $25 a month for monitoring.  That includes text alerts and the Android app. 

I've had Simplisafe for two years.  Set the alarm off by accident a couple times and the monitoring company was ringing my phone in less than a minute to see if everything was ok.  Did have one weird thing where a motion detector went off for no reason but other than that, no complaints.  One window sensor broke after a year and they sent me a new one for free.  $25 a month for monitoring.  That includes text alerts and the Android app. 

THEY GIVE YA THE OPTION TO BUY IT AND USE IT ONLY AS AN ALARM? NO MONITORING?

Where did you hear about the home invasion in new Milford? I just googled it and came up with nothing

My wife read it on a Facebook page that has fire, police, ems reports. I'm thinking it was the Fair Lawn report, but the person posting it made a mistake.

And there was one in Fair Lawn yesterday...

Great... grew up in NM & now live in FL. 

My alarm is called Tigger.  He is an angry 90 pound Chow.  Until you scratch his belly.

We actually have a pretty beefy alarm system left over from the last owner, but I can't figure out how to decouple the motion detectors from the window/door sensors.  Tigger will set that thing off in the middle of the night when he goes for water or whatever he does at the time.  They built in an actual bullhorn into the HVAC return duct, which will announce a visitation at 110db.  A bit disconcerting when you are watching TV and somebody opens a door.  INTRUDER ALERT!!!!

dog is not an option unfortunately. and I already upgraded the locks, fortified door frames and such ... but realistically somebody who is desperate and looking for next hit will still just break a window and get in ... so I'm thinking having an alarm will make them spend minutes inside instead of having an hour to be stupid and try to open my gun lockers ...

I just went with an Interlogix (ex-GE) Simon XTi wireless system. I bought it through http://www.home-technology-store.com

I went the GSM connectivity route. Home technology store will set you up with an alarm.com and nextalarm.com account. Alarm.com is for all the home automation and notification stuff, and Nextalarm for dispatch monitoring.

It comes with Z-wave built in with the GSM module. Its great. I have some exterior and interior lights upgraded to zwave switches. I also have a Schlage front door keypad lock and two thermostats that all integrate with the panel over Zwave. I can view the status of all sensors, activate lights, unlock the front door, control thermostats, and program macros and schedules for activities. It logs every activity in real-time. I even have it set up that when our mobile phones are both 3 miles away, the thermostats go into energy saving mode. They then reactivate when we are back within the 3 mile radius.

It comes to $39 a month for everything. I used to just have basic $14 Nextalarm monitoring for dispatch, but I thought the extra $24 for the alarm.com GSM+home automation stuff was worth it for me.

There are lots of good options out there, this is definitely one to check out.

I have a state of the art audible security system monitored by C.O.P.S. (A nation wide monitoring company) It includes protection for burglary, fire, smoke and panic. I also have automatic security lighting on all sides of my home as well as external security cameras running 24/7 with all cameras being continuously recorded by a DVR. I can also monitor the cameras anywhere with the internet and my cell phone.

I pay $19 a month for the monitoring service and would never be without it!!! The peace of mind when I am away is well worth the investment!!! I have signs posted all over my property warning potential intruders. If they are stupid enough

to ignore them, the PD will show up in less than 5 minutes!

The system above is only a backup system as there is usually someone home with more than ample self defense mechanisms and training for their usage in a bad situation. I hope and pray that I am away if or when someone breaks into my home!!! This way the police will handle it. If it's left up to me, I fear a great deal more carnage may be the result and I don't need the crap that comes with that situation. I have enough shit to deal with in this life!

Moral of the story, if you get an alarm system, have it monitored!!! It's pennies per day and well worth the peace of mind when you are at home or away!!!

if you own a home I would stay from the “out of the box plug & play” security systems. I don’t remember where I saw or heard it but remember a story where a Prep broke in to a home with one of those plug & play systems and destroyed it before it could send the codes in. Some may say that’s not possible but if the intruder enters though the Entry Zone and if the Entry zone has a 30 second delay (or longer) especially if the intruder knows the layout he (or she) could comprise that system in a NY minute. Obviously if the intruder enters though a Perimeter zone the system then trips instantly and will then have a chance to report.

So to sum it up you don’t want a long delay on your Entry zone and you certainly don’t want you system to be in plain view and reachable within that time frame especially if it is one of those plug & play systems. Personally I’d stay away from those systems, maybe they are great for and a small apartment or something like that but I prefer the standard panel, something like the Honeywell Vista panels which are very popular and reliable and unlike the "plug & play' systems, the Honeywell's could be monitored by any UL Listed Monitoring company.

Check the nearby jewelry store and use the company he is with. Nothing better than a professionally installed and serviced system. Plus the monitoring office is just a mile from my house.

Don't forget the BG is in and out in less time than the cops will respond. Use your safes.

so many options... hard to pick one. 

How do you guys feel about the security systems that integrate with automation systems? Like something that will work with the apple homekit so you can arm and disarm your alarm system with Siri or by proximity of your phone to your house. 

so many options... hard to pick one. 

How do you guys feel about the security systems that integrate with automation systems? Like something that will work with the apple homekit so you can arm and disarm your alarm system with Siri or by proximity of your phone to your house. 

The simplisafe system Nick mentioned give you the option to control it from your smart phone,