Lalo

Shotgun Shootout @ Clinton WMA Sunday 10/18

Pick a date for the next Shotgun Shootout!  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What date(s) would you like to attend?

• Sunday 10/18
    • Sunday 10/18

This meet is open to anyone that wants to bust clays in a safe manner joined by people of similar likes and passions. Everyone stresses safety 100% of the time and should be compelled to raise an issue or call someone out if they see anything unsafe going on. Forum members often bring friends and family and as long as they follow the safety rules, everyone ends up having a great time.

If you do not own a shotgun:
- Yes you can still come and hang out with the group
- Yes you can buy some clays and ammo and borrow someone's shotgun (I have no problem lending mine and most if not all people we've shot with don't have a problem with it either)
- and have never shot a moving target up in the air, there are plenty of experienced people in the group that would love you coach you and have you busting clays in no time. I shot my first ever clay with a shotgun at the first meet we had a few years back.

WHERE: Clinton WMA clay range in Clinton, NJ
ADDRESS: 26 New Jersey 173 Hampton, NJ 08827
WHEN: Sunday 8/9
TIME: 9am at the Clay range

916a55b668a35ef0805dd06afac845f2_zpsabe7

Please try and bring everything you can in terms of a gun, ammo, and clays. A rough check list of what to bring:
- Gun(s)
- Ammo (birdshot #7, 7.5, 8)
- Clays
- Thrower if you have one
- Eyes and ears
- Shell pouch
- Beverages/snacks
- Weather appropriate clothing
- Chair

If you can't bring some things, we will have plenty of stuff there. If you've never shot a shotgun before, an experienced shooter will try working with you to be able to dust a clay by the end of the day!

Gun rules to remember:
- Always treat a gun as if it was loaded
- Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot
- Never point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy
- Always be aware of you're target/line of fire
- Keep all guns unloaded until you're on the firing line

We need at least one person with the group to have a hunting license. If you're coming, please reply to this thread and note if you are bringing a thrower and/or have a license. See you at the range!

Alright guys, the weather is getting a bit cooler now which makes it a perfect time to get a group together again to go out and bust some clays. As always, this is open to anyone who wants to go out and have some fun with like minded individuals that enjoy shooting. All we need is one person in the group with a valid hunters license so if you have one, please make it known. Safety is always paramount and we typically have experienced shooters attend who will be happy to assist newbs in getting acclimated with a shotgun and will get you busting clays in no time. This is also a great way to look at and possibly shoot some different shotguns that you may have wanted handle.

Please vote on the date or dates that you'd like to attend. Let us know if you have a hunters license, if you will be bringing a thrower, and why don't we start noting what shotguns we'll be bringing in case there's someone out there that wants to check them out. I figured lets have one early in October so we can have another one early September and we can keep that going as long as we can.

PS - Bring some pumpkins if you have them...

10/17 or 10/18 (My Birthday)

Will be on a cruise the first 2 weekends in October so those are out... Weekend of the 10th/11th is also NY Comic Con weekend...

Have:  Hunting License

Can bring thrower if none are available (it's a crappy one)

Shotguns:  Mossberg 930 JM Pro, Remington 11-87, Mossberg Silver Reserve II Field O/U

I think any of the dates works for me. I have a hunting licenses and ill bring my thrower too. Ill have my 12g mossy 500s field gun and HD pistol grip gun and ill bring my Browning medallion BPS 20g also which will be for sale if anyone is interested in it. 

i see there are a few with a Hunting License. But what kind of Hunting License do you have to get in order to shoot clays in an open field? Do you either get NJ License with a Deer shotgun permit or buck shotgun permit? Or do you have to get something else?

i see there are a few with a Hunting License. But what kind of Hunting License do you have to get in order to shoot clays in an open field? Do you either get NJ License with a Deer shotgun permit or buck shotgun permit? Or do you have to get something else?

NJ Fish & Wildlife - Hunter Education...

You need the hunting license to shoot at any of the state WMA ranges (where it is permitted), of which this is one. In fact, this particular one is where the HQ office is and where much of the training happens. Some ranges only allow rimfire (rifle) but some allow clay shooting, etc.  You can invite a number of guests to shoot with you on your license.  So when these shotgun shootouts are done, at least one person has to have a hunting license.

NJ Fish & Wildlife - Hunter Education...

You need the hunting license to shoot at any of the state WMA ranges (where it is permitted), of which this is one. In fact, this particular one is where the HQ office is and where much of the training happens. Some ranges only allow rimfire (rifle) but some allow clay shooting, etc.  You can invite a number of guests to shoot with you on your license.  So when these shotgun shootouts are done, at least one person has to have a hunting license.

I passed the Hunter Edu just needed to know which permit I needed to shoot clays. I don't see a specific permit that says clays so I guess I would have to buy one that says shotgun such as:

Deer shotgun permit

or

Buck shotgun permit

Both are listed at $28

I know it seems silly for me to ask but I just want to make sure I do this right. Thanks

I passed the Hunter Edu just needed to know which permit I needed to shoot clays. I don't see a specific permit that says clays so I guess I would have to buy one that says shotgun such as:

Deer shotgun permit

or

Buck shotgun permit

Both are listed at $28

I know it seems silly for me to ask but I just want to make sure I do this right. Thanks

Just a valid current firearm hunting license allows you to use the ranges Pages 70 -71 of the 2015 Hunting Digest available online explains the regulations for use.

mk25, to be clear, only ONE member of the group needs a valid license. You won't need one to attend this outing

Thanks, Just wanted my own for the future and looking forward to meeting up with you guys for some fun.

I guess tomorrow is out. Is anyone heading out there this Sunday? If so, bring a raincoat!

So far it's looking like 10/18 is the day. Anyone planning on coming please vote so we can see who's going to be there.

I'll be there with a couple of Mossberg 500's and the Saiga 12.

Deer shotgun permit

or

Buck shotgun permit

Both are listed at $28

Just a firearms hunting license. Or all around sportsmen. The permits you buy separate from the license to kill doe or buck during different seasons.