joy

Security of home Firearms

In 2 weeks, my landlord is having workmen come to remodel the bathroom, (there is a problem). It will take a few days and I can't get the time off work. Of course I am concerned about security of my belongings, ESPECIALLY my handgun. I only have a 2 room (1bedroom) apartment. Right now its in my nightstand drawer. I thought about hiding it in the closet, but that doesn't seem much better. Any advice???

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Pick up a cheap safe and screw it down to something, was in harbor freight today and saw one for $29.00.

Not ideal but a hell of a lot better than in a drawer.

When i bought my first gun almost 40 yrs ago i made sure i had a safe to keep it in. Biggest fear was coming home to someone pointing my own gun at me.

FWIW - I would not worry about someone stealing the gun while the work was going on. It would take a pretty dumb thief to do that since the finger would inevitably be pointing at them, and the penalty for stealing a gun is pretty stiff.

I would, however, be more concerned about someone coming back at a later time if they knew where it was hidden.

Best bet - Either take it to a range that will store it for you, or separate the slide from the frame and hide it somewhere.

You can hide the slide in your car, but not the frame.

I'd use the lock that came with it and stick it under some clothes I a drawer. Someone would have to rummage through your things to find it only to see its locked.

Get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002KEIU4W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1443284906&sr=8-3π=SX200_QL40&keywords=Pistol+safe&dpPl=1&dpID=41GvUwH5LTL&ref=plSrch

And screw it to the floor in a closet. And if you wanter you can cover it with some old clothes or whatever

Sent from my LG-G4 using Tapatalk

Disassemble gun.

Hide serialized part in apartment.

Take other parts with you to work.

+1

In a sane world you'd put it in a laundry basket with some dirty underwear and throw it in the trunk while you weren't home.   Even if a thief broke into the vehicle, he's not digging through racing stripes to find any hidden nuggets.

Pick up a cheap safe and screw it down to something, was in harbor freight today and saw one for $29.00.

Not ideal but a hell of a lot better than in a drawer.

When i bought my first gun almost 40 yrs ago i made sure i had a safe to keep it in. Biggest fear was coming home to someone pointing my own gun at me.

Never thought of that.

I thought only of easy access if I need it

Come on, do you mean to tell me that you can't find a decent hiding place anywhere in your apartment? Could you stash it in a duct or something?

Didn't you ever watch Breaking Bad?

Actually, no I haven't. Just bought this, my first gun 8 months ago and my apartment is 2 rooms.

Most houses, apartments, etc probably have a few places you can really hide something, specially from a casual browser. Sure, someone with a warrant and time will find anything hidden in a home, but the frame of your handgun or even a whole handgun ..  laundry, Ac vents, some lamps, window ACs, couch frames, pockets of winter clothing, the base of a treadmill, inside a computer case, inside the printer's paper tray, duct taped to the underside of some furniture, stove hood,  there are probably 100 such places that a dedicated search would uncover but a casual browser is unlikely to search.

The inside of a couch cushion might work awesome, but maybe use a plastic bag to keep oil from cloth.

But yeah, get a small safe and bolt it to something.