Sign in to follow this  
voyager9

Range trip with new scope

I finally managed to find a free afternoon when I could get up to Range14 and sight my new scope. I'm completely new to this and freely admit the equipment outperform my skill and knowledge. Still, I'm happy with how the day went.

I put a vortex crossfire II (3-9) on my M&P15 ORC, replacing a fixed 4x that came on it. It was my first time installing a magnified optic and I was worried about initial alignment.

I was using a 50-200yd zero since it seemed to have better holds for the range I'll be shooting for a while.

I was glad to see the initial groupings were closer then I expected and not too far off zero. I was able to walk them in better after three attempts (bottom to top).

bb821d630b39cb2ce4be90ce086242ac.jpg

I know the groupings aren't great. I chalk this up to my skill and not the equipment. In my defense it was windy as F* yesterday and I didn't have a bag/rest.

After that I moved out to 150yd just to see if I was close. The results aren't great but at least I was on paper. This was my first time shooting anything past 100. I'm calling it a success (with lots of room for improvement)

31f15e5c7aadd05e127eb56f3b4a6363.jpg

(I know the zero is at 217 or so, not 150. I didn't want to push it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not bad. I'd suggest setting up a gopro or some sort of recording device and record yourself shooting it from a third person perspective that way you can go back and review and see what you're doing wrong. Breathing, trigger squeeze, not maintaining a stable shooting platform, flinching, trigger reset can all be ascertained by 2 cameras one close up.and one a little farther back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not bad. I'd suggest setting up a gopro or some sort of recording device and record yourself shooting it from a third person perspective that way you can go back and review and see what you're doing wrong. Breathing, trigger squeeze, not maintaining a stable shooting platform, flinching, trigger reset can all be ascertained by 2 cameras one close up.and one a little farther back.

And a friend who knows what to look for.

I do want to take a rifle class.. Appleseed or similar, though even those might be too advanced for me at this point.

And a friend who knows what to look for.

I do want to take a rifle class.. Appleseed or similar, though even those might be too advanced for me at this point.

Hell send 'em my way And I'll review em for ya!

And Sage Dynamic is running a class in NJ this weekend. Too bad it conflicts with my personal schedule.