Malsua

Generators ready?

They make door openers with battery back ups for exactly that scenario. Although I'll never understand why people so often build garages with no man door. I see it all the time (usually when someone calls because their door opener doesn't work.)

back when i built it, i was letting my paranoia get me. the only way in, is to open that 17 foot wide door. that would kinda get anyones attention.

you think you're joking. my mother does this. she's got an entire years worth of friggin toilet paper and paper towels at my house. when she leaves in jan., i won't hafta buy none of that shit till she comes back.

This is my wife's doing.  You should see our stockpile of shampoo/laundry detergent/toothpaste/etc.

This particular event isn't just Hurricane Joaquin.   It's a hybrid that appears as if it's going to hook up in NC and run up the coast, dumping a lot of water and bringing high winds.  The "upside" to the 12z GFS is that the impact to NJ is not as bad as if it were to make landfall and run west, leaving NJ in the NW quadrant of the hybrid storm like Sandy but with Irene levels of water.  If the 12z track is accurate and it will probably change, the Chesapeake/VA/DC areas are going to have it really bad.  We'll still get a lot of water, but the winds won't be quite as bad.

I don't know if the Euro is still sticking to "out to sea", but even in that case, the coastal will still bring us a few inches.

For what it's worth my Rain Gauge showed 3.7" inches since Sunday.  Since 99.99% of that was last night, it was a hell of a rain fall.

Look at the radar. Were getting nothing. Maybe light rain. A lotta bs.

Looking at radar models really doesn't say a lot yet... a lot can effect its path. All we know is it could miss us, hit us, or be somewhere in between.

Remember, meteorologists are sometimes very wrong. Don't say the hell with it until that storm is past us...

Right, radar doesn't mean anything. Most models are actually showing it hitting us pretty good last I looked earlier today. Again more will be known in the next 24-48 hours. I'm just gonna fill up my cars Sunday morning, wifey went and did some basic food shopping this morning and we always have 2+ cases of water in the closet anyway. 

She said if we lose power then she's gonna pack the kids and go to her parents who have the generator. I told her, good, then I'll stay home with loaded weapons and hang out :p

Considering how hard the TV "news" tries to hype a story to get viewers, I don't believe anything they have to say.  The latest report right from the National Hurricane Center (as of 26min ago) warns about possible winds, rain, etc.   But also says that there is one model with a "significant probability" that the storm will move east and miss the coast.   This is still 5 or 6 days away.  The same people warning about "another Sandy" can't tell me with any accuracy if it's going to rain tomorrow morning.  I'm ready but I'm not worried yet.

Right, radar doesn't mean anything. Most models are actually showing it hitting us pretty good last I looked earlier today. Again more will be known in the next 24-48 hours. I'm just gonna fill up my cars Sunday morning, wifey went and did some basic food shopping this morning and we always have 2+ cases of water in the closet anyway. 

She said if we lose power then she's gonna pack the kids and go to her parents who have the generator. I told her, good, then I'll stay home with loaded weapons and hang out :p

loaded weapons. beer. clean underwear. don't really need much else do you. :D

I don't see Joaquin being as bad. Sandy wasn't devastating because she was powerful... she was devastating because she was 1000+ miles wide and moving like a snail. She pounded the ever living fuck out of eastern NJ and the NY 5 boros area for hours on end. Her storm surge was already creating havoc a day before she even started in with the rains. Joaquin just isn't that big.

Why isn't this is the prepared forum anyway?

Because it's really more of a weather discussion and a heads up that includes cannibalism than specifically prepping.     Not quite sure how we got to eating each other so quickly, but so it goes.