Malsua

Generators ready?

one side of the cord breaks the 240v twist into 4 120v standard outlets. So I can cut it off and use that side to wire to the panel.

I don't think it's legal to have a cord with a male end coming from your panel.   You really should use a receptacle as listed above and put the proper end on your service cord.   While it's not a true suicide cord because if the breaker is on, the main service is off, there are probably other reasons why it's a bad idea.

I don't think it's legal to have a cord with a male end coming from your panel.   You really should use a receptacle as listed above and put the proper end on your service cord.   While it's not a true suicide cord because if the breaker is on, the main service is off, there are probably other reasons why it's a bad idea.

I was going to cut both ends and use a quick disconnect outdoor wall mount. Otherwise i have no use for the cord... and its 20ft, so it should be enough to get me outside to where the genny is going. Not sure on the legality but i would never feel right about having the male end coming out of the box, lol.... definitely goes against all common sense, and with out a lockout defiantly looking to kill urself

Relax everyone.  Generator has been tested under load, starts on first pull.  Gas cans all filled and I just finished installing a 30 Amp inlet to my house.  It's very professional looking and will work splendidly.  This virtually guarantees that there will be no major impact from these storms.

jack... I approve the ingenuity, but it's not going to be a safe way of doing it. Trust me i've done some of the things you've discussed and i'm lucky the house is still standing. Please consider using the parts listed and a proper cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-PC3020-Generator-Generators/dp/B000HS0HKI/ref=pd_sim_60_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AKF1QJ0ZEN7GAAPYA9C&dpID=51422AXR27L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

they can be had in various lengths also, so if shorter or longer is needed let me know.

Im going to use the inlet box like the one you posted earlier... im going to connect(hardwire) it to the main box using the 20ft cable my genny came with... I'm really just re-purposing the 4 wires inside and i would need to pick up a new 240v twist maybe 5 feet.

Hope this makes sense.

I have a retired hot tub circuit that I moved the breaker and installed an interlock shortly after Sandy. Never got around to buying the inlet box, or picking up cable to connect the generator to the inlet. Until today. Hopefully I won't be in a mad rush to get it up and running. Oh, and I need to go buy beer, and maybe fill some gas cans while I'm out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Im going to use the inlet box like the one you posted earlier... im going to connect(hardwire) it to the main box using the 20ft cable my genny came with... I'm really just re-purposing the 4 wires inside and i would need to pick up a new 240v twist maybe 5 feet.

Hope this makes sense.

You'll be fine. Wire is wire. With wire, bigger is better.

Main off! No juice to house, aka off grid.

Even if you went full retard and left the male end on( assuming you use the interlock) using an interlock would be safe. Main on, interlock breakers off. Main off, interlock breakers on.

Btw, if you feel heat on wires, um, might wanna reengineer the wire size......

Or make smores, everybody loves smores

Btw, is this thing gonna happen or what?

Looks like Scorpio's efforts may have paid off!

There is still going to be rain Fri/Sat.   The Hurricane at this time does not appear that it's going to make landfall.  It could still run up the coast and toss a bunch of weather at us but it will probably go safely out to sea. 

Looks like Scorpio's efforts may have paid off!

There is still going to be rain Fri/Sat. The Hurricane at this time does not appear that it's going to make landfall. It could still run up the coast and toss a bunch of weather at us but it will probably go safely out to sea.

Weatherman: only job you can never get right and not get fired

Hope this makes sense.

Cut the end off the cord and then buy a female 30amp twist loc cap. You will then have a 20' extension cord for the Genny to plug into the house. (20' is the standard length). Then buy some 10/3 romex in whatever length you need to get from the panel to where ever you're going to mount the inlet box. Romex is much cheaper then S/O cord. Also, the cord isn't listed for permanent installation or to run through a wall.

If you have any questions PM me and we can talk about it.

I'm going to have to increase the claymore count around here then.

You better choose a different mine, you would have to see me to set off a claymore with the M57 trigger. I'm a master of stealth, just ask the deer around here about my camouflage. Never mind you can't ask them they're in my freezer lol...

Cut the end off the cord and then buy a female 30amp twist loc cap. You will then have a 20' extension cord for the Genny to plug into the house. (20' is the standard length). Then buy some 10/3 romex in whatever length you need to get from the panel to where ever you're going to mount the inlet box. Romex is much cheaper then S/O cord. Also, the cord isn't listed for permanent installation or to run through a wall.

If you have any questions PM me and we can talk about it.

Sounds like a good idea, the female plug is 25bucks shipped. and the shortest cable i can find is 10'. If i keep the 20' cord Im going to probably mount the inlet box inside by the garage door.

Probably not now with a storm coming but, yes. Last I checked, that same cord end was $30 at HD. I bought it for $7.50 on Amazon a few months ago. That seller is out and another has it for $14.50.

Much better selection and prices online. I assume you want it now though? It pays to be prepared. A week after Sandy all my supply houses were completely sold out of generator related items and stayed that way for weeks.

You may get lucky though. Typically HD has cords in the generator section along with 6 or 10 circuit panels and cheap inlet boxes (cheap design, $50). If you get an interlock kit you can skip the separate emergency panel and go direct to the main panel.

Probably not now with a storm coming but, yes. Last I checked, that same cord end was $30 at HD. I bought it for $7.50 on Amazon a few months ago. That seller is out and another has it for $14.50.

Much better selection and prices online. I assume you want it now though? It pays to be prepared. A week after Sandy all my supply houses were completely sold out of generator related items and stayed that way for weeks.

You may get lucky though. Typically HD has cords in the generator section along with 6 or 10 circuit panels and cheap inlet boxes (cheap design, $50). If you get an interlock kit you can skip the separate emergency panel and go direct to the main panel.

yea kinda a "now" thing. i normally just toss a couple extension cords in through a window. was gonna make a cord, and backfeed the house from the garage(after turning off the mains of course) through my old arc welder outlet. but reading how easy it seems to be to just do it right.........maybe if we really get hit, i'll just toss cords again, and setup properly for next time......