koontz946

Need a scope mounted

I bought my first bolt action (a Rem 700P LTR .308) and I need to have my Primary Arms 4-14X44 scope mounted on it.

I've never had or used a scoped rifle, so it's all new to me.

Edit: sent too soon, I'm in Essex county but wouldn't mind driving to get a quality job.

Once I have an example of how it should be done 'in hand,' I may be comfortable doing it myself.

My current work schedule doesn't afford me the time to do it myself, and I'd like to take the 'well maybe I did it wrong' thought out of my head when I get time to go to the range.

I'm up at 4:30am and home at 8pm... If I think of it as "I'm doing this to have nice guns," it takes the edge off :)

I'd like to have a gunsmith do it for me. I appreciate everyone suggesting that I do it myself, but knowing myself, it'd be better if I had an expertly done example to compare my work to.

Edit: And, as stated above, this is my first scoped gun, so I'm really not comfortable doing the work myself

WOW I totally forgot to add in the fact that I want it sighted, as well... It's been a long week.

Someone else can do that for you, but you still have to do it yourself. Scope alignment, objective alignment, etc are specific to each shooter. Also, where the scope gets mounted relative to your height, arm length, body shape, and head location is also a fairly personal thing, so it isn't as if someone else can get that perfect for you.

You can certainly pay someone if you wish, but the final product will be better if you do it yourself.  Maybe see if anyone here can meet you at the range and help you out.

WOW I totally forgot to add in the fact that I want it sighted, as well... It's been a long week.

First off, do not bring it to Dick's or any other gun shop that does not have a real gunsmith (if you want it done correctly). A competent gunsmith will charge you around $50-100 to mount and boresight your scope.

IMO - You are better-off purchasing the tools needed to do it yourself for a few dollars more, and you will find that you needed them for regular maintenance anyway.

I use the Wheeler scope mounting kit and Tipton gun vise for all of my scope mounting, both available from MidwayUSA. Aside from scope mounting, I use the gun vise and torque screwdriver every time I disassemble the gun for cleaning; so I needed to have them anyway.

Some say that you don't need to lap the rings to mount a scope, but if you have the tools, then why wouldn't you? The only downside to lapping the rings is that it takes approx. an hour to do, but you can rest assured that you have done it the right way. The video in the kit walks you thru the entire process.

As for boresighting, the very best method that I have used:

1. Place a target at around 50 yards ( I use those 1.5" orange target stickers because they are easy to see).

2. Remove the bolt from your rifle and lock it down in the gun vise.

3. Maneuver the vise so that you can see the target when looking down the breech of the rifle.

4. Without moving the gun vise, adjust the crosshairs to the same target.

You can do either 50 yards, or 100 yards, whichever is easier for you. Using this method, I have always been on paper @100 yds on the very first shot.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bore_sight.htm

I find it puzzling that you recommend only taking it to a certified gunsmith or doing it himself as if he's going to perform a better job having never done it (and clearly not wanting to) than someone who already has the tools and may have done 100 of them already. Certainly some people probably suck but if your saying its not that hard...?

I agree he can do it himself but if he's not inclined to do so or doesn't have the time, hes got fewer options.

I find it puzzling that you recommend only taking it to a certified gunsmith or doing it himself as if he's going to perform a better job having never done it (and clearly not wanting to) than someone who already has the tools and may have done 100 of them already. Certainly some people probably suck but if your saying its not that hard...?

I agree he can do it himself but if he's not inclined to do so or doesn't have the time, hes got fewer options.

In my experience (and I cannot say that it is done this way in every case), but regular gun store employees will simple mount the rings and scope, without any regard for lapping the rings, degreasing the screws or torquing the screws properly. Going thru those simple steps makes a difference IMHO, and I wouldn't expect someone that installs those pieces for free, or for a very small cost to go thru the trouble.

Took it to T1D tonight and one of the damn base bolt thread caps is cross-threaded (from Remington).

I wouldn't believe it unless I saw how cocked it was.

Had to leave her there, but I'm so very glad I took it to them, as the other 3 had to be heated to be removed... I would have wound up stripping the heads.

Got the call yesterday that the cross-threaded cap was out, with no damage to the threads!

Went back to Tier1 after work and Mike explained how the scope picture should appear when shouldering the rifle naturally, and he locked it down when we got it to where it was most comfortable.

Many thanks to Mike at Tier1Defense!