stevenschaffer

Ar15 build double check.

Has it ever failed, assuming not ebay parts?

I have yet to hear of anyone having a failed headspace check on an AR platform with even half decent parts. 

Heres an example of a knowledgeable person building his 10+ AR forgetting to check his head space and having issues [among others].

Err also there a lot of shenanigans there. Barrel extension extending too deeply into upper and having the feed ramps modified? Uh-oh. The receiver was machined for a flatter fit? How much did that move the barrel back? Was that just surface work with a hand tool or put on a lathe because that could explain why the extension was too far back?

Was the headspace slightly wrong before all of those things were done, or after?

Op, I would look at getting a BCM upper. You should be able to get a preassembled upper with most of what you want. This will make your life easier and BCM runs sales occasionally where they will include a BCG and CH for no or a reduced cost with the upper. If you're not in a rush you'll get a great upper for a reasonable price.

Yeah I am trying to save money but keeping it a decent rifle. I pick a new lower. Special ops tactical which is $100 less then spikes.. The muzzle brake I cut the price in half .. $90 was a lot for a muzzle break.. The sights and rail I will be looking on eBay and hopefully get them slightly used.. Ebay will be my friend in this build .. Lol

A spikes lower is only $100-$125 max. How can you find something $100 cheaper?

A spikes lower is only $100-$125 max. How can you find something $100 cheaper?

He's talking about complete lowers, not stripped

Although JBO has the Spikes enhanced for less than what he stated the spec-ops would be

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike_s_Tactical_Spider_ENHANCED_Lower_Bullet_p/sp-stlc200-ebt.htm

I guess I'm missing something here. He's listing what at best should be an $800 rifle for $1300. For $1300 he can get a bcm complete lower from g&r tactical for $400. Less than $100 for a stock. A BCM 14.5" mid length upper with pinned comp and bolt carrier for around $750 and spend $150 on a pair of iron sights and have a significantly better rifle in my opinion. Plus there would be no compliance work besides pinning the stock

I guess I'm missing something here. He's listing what at best should be an $800 rifle for $1300. For $1300 he can get a bcm complete lower from g&r tactical for $400. Less than $100 for a stock. A BCM 14.5" mid length upper with pinned comp and bolt carrier for around $750 and spend $150 on a pair of iron sights and have a significantly better rifle in my opinion. Plus there would be no compliance work besides pinning the stock

But the other rifle is cheaper dammit! It's just as good! You shut your dirty mouth you![/sarcasm]

Some folks don't get the concept of Best Value vs Lowest Price.

But eventually they learn when that bargain priced gear from Uncle Cheech's Tactical Warehouse shits the bed and they have to replace it all again. In the end, spending more money than if they just bought the quality gear to begin with.

OP: If a price looks to good to be true, it is. If a part is $100 everywhere and you find it on EBay for $40 don't buy it. You are gonna wind up with Airsoft junk or pot metal parts from China. Save a little longer and spend a little more - buy quality gear from reputable sellers. It will end up costing you much less in the long run - both in money and frustration.

But the other rifle is cheaper dammit! It's just as good! You shut your dirty mouth you![/sarcasm]

Some folks don't get the concept of Best Value vs Lowest Price.

But eventually they learn when that bargain priced gear from Uncle Cheech's Tactical Warehouse shits the bed and they have to replace it all again. In the end, spending more money than if they just bought the quality gear to begin with.

OP: If a price looks to good to be true, it is. If a part is $100 everywhere and you find it on EBay for $40 don't buy it. You are gonna wind up with Airsoft junk or pot metal parts from China. Save a little longer and spend a little more - buy quality gear from reputable sellers. It will end up costing you much less in the long run - both in money and frustration.

But he's quoting $1300 in his list so that makes me think that he's ok spending that. Hard to beat an all BCM rifle for that price. Okie dokie artichokie?