Sign in to follow this  
son of sam

Sending guns for repair

I am getting ready to send my Garand to be re-barreled and parkerized. I plan to ship directly to the shop (FFL) via UPS. My question is if I can recieve the gun back directly from the shop (FFL). I can easily have it shipped to my LGS there is a legal issue accepting my rifle from a out of state FFL.

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A). ---- ATF

Above is from the ATF website. So its clear that it does not break any Federal laws. I cant find anything from NJ law directly. Surprise, NJ  law is so far not clear on this firearm issue either.

Speaking at the federal level, yes, that is legal since there isn't a transfer of ownership taking place. You can ship it directly to the FFL and they can send it back directly to you. Some FFLs will not accept shipments from non-licensees though it's perfectly legal. Now, seeing as you're a NJ resident, you should definitely look into if there are any state laws that would prevent the FFL from sending it back to you directly.

You can receive directly from the gunsmith. I very recently had a handgun sent/received from the manufacturer without issue; and in the past, had several rifles sent/received. Keep in mind, you have to go to a UPS hub in order to ship, not a UPS store.

Below is from my gunsmith's website:

Can I ship my rifle directly to you, or do I have to ship through a dealer?

Shipping of long guns is controlled by the Gun Control Act of 1964.   You can ship a long gun directly to us for service or repair and we can return ship directly to you.  An adult signature is requred.  Do not include any live ammunition in the same container as the rifle.  Generally, UPS stores do not ship firearms.  You can ship your rifle via a UPS hub, Fed Ex counter, or US Post Office.  If you have a UPS or Fed Ex account, you can ship from your office using your account.  You can ship regular ground or any Air service.  Most shippers prefer the rifle to be in a gun case, inside a cardboard box, with the bolt removed.  Make certain you wrap the bolt and any other loose objects in something to prevent damage during transit.  If you run into a shipper that does not think it is legal for you to ship your rifle to us, kindly explain that you are shipping to an FFL dealer for repair which is perfectly legal and ask to speak to a supervisor if necessary.