almiz111

Where are the squirrels and rabbits at...

Colliers Mills WMA if any???

Any WMA in NJ???

Does the time matter, dusk, dawn, ???

I've seen more squirrels in my back yard than at CM WMA. Can't shoot them (dispatch/euthanize) unless I declare them pests like skunks, etc.

Thank you.

Tree rats why does it always have to be Tree Rats.  One committed suicide on top of the transformer to my house last week.  Knocked out power for five hours.  

Tree Rats and Bugs Bunny best hunted at daybreak and dusk. Just ask my dog, begs to go out at first light and again at dusk, always on point.

Good luck, Elmer!

I have a huge rabbit colony I my back yard. I told my wife the other day (who is a city girl, and won't eat wild game), I was going to cull the herd with my crossbow, and make her some 'country chicken'.

She was NOT amused.

I have a Squirrel condo {acorn tree} in my front yard that has a abundance of acorns and residence among it's branches....so much so that they have taken to the sport of throwing nuts at me and my family while we attempt to enjoy a alfresco morning coffee while chattering loudly,accosting us on the front step while on the way to work and I swear left stuttering voice mail mocking me on my cell phone.......or perhaps it was the local democratic mayoral candidates... but either way...

I would dispatch their sorry little mangy asses with my air rifle if it weren't for all my neighboring geriatric PETA contributors who seemingly never sleep.

There's a squirrel feeder on my block. So probably here.

Just out of curiosity, do you really mean a squirrel feeder or a bird feeder?

I saw a giant bag of "Squirrel Feed" next to the bird seed at Walmart and it blew my mind. What twisted F**k came up with this and who are the whackos that are buying and using it? Next year will be "Tick Attractant," "Miracle Mosquito," and "AIDS Feed."

I have a Squirrel condo {acorn tree} in my front yard that has a abundance of acorns and residence among it's branches....so much so that they have taken to the sport of throwing nuts at me and my family while we attempt to enjoy a alfresco morning coffee while chattering loudly,accosting us on the front step while on the way to work and I swear left stuttering voice mail mocking me on my cell phone.......or perhaps it was the local democratic mayoral candidates... but either way...

I would dispatch their sorry little mangy asses with my air rifle if it weren't for all my neighboring geriatric PETA contributors who seemingly never sleep.

To help them out, I put a PETA friendly barrel of water with  sunflower seeds floating.  Strangely, they seem to drown themselves  :crying:

Don't know about New Jersey, but I've been bird hunting in NY each weekend and this year is one that seems to have a bumper crop of squirrels and chipmunks in the area I hunt. They seem to be everywhere. 

As for rabbits...........hunt the briars. Bunnies seem to be in places that leave you a bit bloody after a walk through the thick stuff they like to hide in. 

Just out of curiosity, do you really mean a squirrel feeder or a bird feeder?

I saw a giant bag of "Squirrel Feed" next to the bird seed at Walmart and it blew my mind. What twisted F**k came up with this and who are the whackos that are buying and using it? Next year will be "Tick Attractant," "Miracle Mosquito," and "AIDS Feed."

Haha, I do mean a bird feeder. The birds are steering clear, though. Baffles don't mean much when you put the feeder 2' from an awning. It was a nice token effort on the part of the owner.

I'm hoping to slaughter some wabbits on Saturday, which is also the first bird stocking day at Wittingham. I can shoot at practically anything that's not wearing orange.

I'll be there around 9am (Yawn), after all the ninjas from the lower counties with their $5,000 Benellis and their disobedient, pheasant-mauling mongrel curs have returned to baking on their premises. Great advice to go after the rush, which someone on these forums suggested. I don't remember who. 

For me it's basically a nice walk, a decent chance of getting Lyme disease for the sixth time, and an excuse to clean my 12-gauge. 

I'm hoping to slaughter some wabbits on Saturday, which is also the first bird stocking day at Wittingham. I can shoot at practically anything that's not wearing orange.

I'll be there around 9am (Yawn), after all the ninjas from the lower counties with their $5,000 Benellis and their disobedient, pheasant-mauling mongrel curs have returned to baking on their premises. Great advice to go after the rush, which someone on these forums suggested. I don't remember who. 

For me it's basically a nice walk, a decent chance of getting Lyme disease for the sixth time, and an excuse to clean my 12-gauge. 

I've always been a proponent of going later, after the horde of botchagaloop's have gone. Then again, I had a great bird dog, and hunting state land was always easy for us from late morning to dusk. Sadly, I lost my dog in May, and after a few weekends hunting upstate NY without him this year, I'm painfully reminded that hunting without a dog in the uplands is void of the connection a dog provides that ties things all together.  

A good dog will change the experience from annoying madness that is often possible in New Jersey to sheer pleasure.  

I've always been a proponent of going later, after the horde of botchagaloop's have gone. Then again, I had a great bird dog, and hunting state land was always easy for us from late morning to dusk. Sadly, I lost my dog in May, and after a few weekends hunting upstate NY without him this year, I'm painfully reminded that hunting without a dog in the uplands is void of the connection a dog provides that ties things all together.  

A good dog will change the experience from annoying madness that is often possible in New Jersey to sheer pleasure.  

I know what you mean. My hunting buddy from 20+ years ago had a Portuguese water dog.  We'd get out at sunrise and Dave would often bag out quickly. Not because of the dog because of the sheer number of birds. But we'd continue for a couple of hours, B.S.ing. It was during this time that the dog was really helpful (to me). After they moved to Florida I went out a few times but it wasn't the same. I went at least 10 years without getting a stamp. Now I'm more philosophic about it. If I get a bird, great. If I don't I've had a nice walk carrying a gun in the state of New Jersey. 

Next year I hope to find out what it is like to hunt with a dog. I started hunting birds when I was 12 but then I got shot by some drunk asshole so I stopped hunting birds for 16 years. I started again 4 years ago and this spring my friend got a German Short Hair Pointer and I convinced him to train it to hunt (he does not hunt). the pup is 6 months old and doing great with his training but he is still to young for this season although he will be coming out I don't have any expectations for him this year. Next season I think is going to be great I think and I cant wait.

Next year I hope to find out what it is like to hunt with a dog. I started hunting birds when I was 12 but then I got shot by some drunk asshole so I stopped hunting birds for 16 years. I started again 4 years ago and this spring my friend got a German Short Hair Pointer and I convinced him to train it to hunt (he does not hunt). the pup is 6 months old and doing great with his training but he is still to young for this season although he will be coming out I don't have any expectations for him this year. Next season I think is going to be great I think and I cant wait.

I hope you get that opportunity.

Anyone who hunts upland birds should experience at least one good hunt over a good dog. Our family raised bird dogs and for more than fifty years I've had the opportunity to hunt over dozens of dogs. Some good, some not so good. I have friends today with dogs, some good, some not so good. The dog I lost recently was more than good, if not exceptional.  

Yep Mipa.....it takes a special person to feed squirrels... :p

We keep a bird feeder going for the squirrels just to give our dogs something to do. They guard and they hunt, so prey moving across the canopy of our yard is perfect for giving them purpose (and exercise). 

Sometimes they get to charge one on the ground cleaning up, but they haven't actually caught one yet, so it's just great fun.

We keep a bird feeder going for the squirrels just to give our dogs something to do. They guard and they hunt, so prey moving across the canopy of our yard is perfect for giving them purpose (and exercise).

Sometimes they get to charge one on the ground cleaning up, but they haven't actually caught one yet, so it's just great fun.

That's cool....keeps the dogs healthy