Jgulla08

P2P question

So I want to apply for a new P2P and I was wondering two things:

1: do I have to get fingerprinted again? I can't imagine I would but who knows in this state.

2: I am interested in purchasing two handguns, but I figured considering the process I would apply for three permits. Do you guys think the extra permit will slow anything down? I just figured for the extra $2, what the hell, why not.

I'm in Gloucester township if that helps.

Yes, it's always good to apply for a permit or two more than you think you will need.  You never know what might catch your eye.  

BTW. one unintended consequence of our permitting system is that it tends to make us buy more guns.  By that I mean that since one has to go through the whole annoying permitting process for one gun or six, we often end up making multiple purchases when we otherwise might not have done so.

So does that mean I will have to get printed again? I already have my FID card and a handgun. That's where I'm confused as I've already done it once.

It is entirely at the issuing authority's (your local PD) discretion. Some require every time, some require at specific intervals. If you do not do prints, you will have to do the electronic (on-line) SBI-212A - the non-criminal background check for $20.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As TBill said above. Prints are totally up to your PD.

By law no, But we know how that goes.

Ive had my FID since 1975, That was the only time I got printed.

Aside from getting CCW permits

Cool, thanks for all of the replies guys. Fingers crossed they don't make me, but such is NJ.

I think even the third would need an extension (one per month, good for 90 days) so yeah 6 would be the max. Im actually only planning on buying two but like I said above, what the hell, they're only $2. Why not get 3 just in case.

I'm more concerned about having to be printed again (if I do). Not that it's a problem or that I have anything to hide, it's just annoying.

I get 6 at a time about once a year. My finances usually do not allow me to use all 6, but methinks better to have and not need, than need and not have.

A few months ago, I did my first OGAM exemption for a 3 gun purchase. It was a pretty smooth process.

You can use three in less than 90 days. Say you request 3, use the first one the day it comes in, wait 30 days for the next and then another 30, total of 60 days.

I think even the third would need an extension (one per month, good for 90 days) so yeah 6 would be the max. Im actually only planning on buying two but like I said above, what the hell, they're only $2. Why not get 3 just in case.

I'm more concerned about having to be printed again (if I do). Not that it's a problem or that I have anything to hide, it's just annoying.

I am also in Gloucester County. When I apply for P2Ps, no SBI-212A, no prints, they don't even contact my references! I pay $2 each and get them in my mailbox less than ten days later!!!

Gloucester township not county but it sounds like I'm living there if they're that good lol

That's odd. Robbinsville Twp told me it's a one time only for fingerprinting. I was intially fingerprinted in 2011 when I first got my FID and a few P2P's and was told at that time I was set for life.

It's up to the issuing PD.

Here is what I know. If i'm mistaken my bad and I apologize in advance. 

I also believe that since we can technically only purchase one a month, getting more then 6 would not make sense, but then again, I might be wrong.

Using the SP-015 form is one reason gun owners would need to get more than 6. Also OGAM with a 90 day extension can theoretically get you more than 6 guns. Read Samdjr74's statement.

It never hurts to get extra's just in case the dog eats one of them :icon_cool:

Correct me if I'm wrong. Whatever is not used needs to be returned. They are all serialized.

There are OGAM exceptions. If these are utilized you still need one P2P per handgun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

SP-015 form but you would need to have all the serial numbers in advance so in other words all guns must be at the FFL already so you can provide the serial numbers when submitting this form.

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-015.pdf 

It is entirely at the issuing authority's (your local PD) discretion. Some require every time, some require at specific intervals. If you do not do prints, you will have to do the electronic (on-line) SBI-212A - the non-criminal background check for $20.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Since I'm paying $20.00 for the background check everytime I might as well make the most of it and grab extra P2Ps. It's only $2.00 per P2P versus having to pay another $20.00 for another background check and waiting for the paperwork to approve cuz I see another gun and only requested for one P2P. Think ahead............