jeffsolo

Guns and Roses-Hello and Farewell

My wife and I had to go to a surgical supply company very close to Guns and Roses, so I thought we'd stop in there today.  We walked in to a cramped jammed store that was crowded with both some merchandise and a few people.  What I assume was the owner's wife almost immediately said "Someone will be with you shortly" as she went outside with her 2 chihuahuas....that was the last positive thing that happened there.  There were 3 apparent insiders at the counter....the eldest seemed to playing games buying 2 Colt wheel guns.  He kept hemming and hawing and mentioning something about another gun they had there that they couldn't find-I have no idea if it was being held for him or was there on consignment. 

Another potential customer came in with a bandaged knee. He mentioned he had his artificial knee replaced again and after stating he didn't care if anyone there was Jewish complained about the Jewish doctor who told him his problems were all related to arthritis, not a bad prosthetic.  Fine, that's just a customer and I chalked it up to ignorance.

The counter-blockers continued the discussion on the guns when who I'm pretty sure what was Joe (the owner) said " alright Mr stein, steen, or berg, and repeated it several times.  I decided at that point after waiting over 20 minutes to speak to somebody, I had had enough and motioned to my wife, who had accompanied me, to leave.  I obviously won't be returning.

He permanently lost me as a customer.....I had cash, a fresh open Permit to Purchase, and was looking for something that seemed a lot like that original box Diamondback that "customer" guy was pawing.  I'm Jewish, am a frequent firearms purchaser, and have a lot of friends-both members and non-members of my tribe.  I'll be sure to mention my experience to them and anyone else who will listen.

I've done quite a bit of selling and purchasing on Gunbroker and Guns America, but have tried to support the local shops as much as I can.  I had hoped I could add this place to the collection of local guys I've grown to know, respect, and patronize.  Guess you can't always get what you want.   

• Like 1

This really upset me.  I'm not exactly thin-skinned, to say the least.  But Anti-Semitism must have been the theme of the day!  It's so hard to find FFL dealers with storefronts nowadays.....so many guys have gone to working out of their basements.  I remember the NJ gun shops where people would go to hangout...also used to enjoy the automotive speed shops like that.  I guess I'm just just a dinosaur thinking back to prehistoric times.

I'll second that.  My experiences with Garden State have been only positive.  I thought Bob (counter) and Hugh (RO) were great.  I hope they do a fantastic business there.  They are my present, most local public range and store.  Also, It's a long ride for me, but I can't recommend RTSP enough.....plus they're a Glock Blue Label dealer and are very responsive to any ordering requests.

The good guys deserve our support-my recent experience only served to make me more appreciative of them.

I waited almost 30 minutes without a single word from a counter employee.......Not only do I feel that's unprofessional, I consider it rude.  As for being thin skinned, I actually did escalated complaint mediation and have had my share of name calling, but the repetition and tone of these remarks got to me.  One thing that is true is that I put a high level of importance on common courtesy....maybe that's why I got so ticked off....Everything pointed towards the management having a total absence of courtesy to other people.

Do they have an in house smith ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That was my first question. So im guessing maybe not and they were just willing to tackle it? However, unlike what some individuals have mentioned. i am NOT bashing GSSC. I enjoy the range and the people who own and run it.

I have never been to Guns and Roses, but I definitely will not be going there now after reading this information. Garden State Shooting Center is a great store & range. If you go there, I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. If you have not yet used the permit, bring it to GSSC & take a look at their store. They have an excellent selection of handguns there, so you will find something to use it on. Then go to use their new range. I joined a membership when I went there for the Grand Opening celebration in July, & I must get back there very soon to do some more shooting. 

From the owner of Guns & Roses: First of all the customer who I referred to is a frequent purchaser who happens to be Jewish. He is the the one that loves to banter back and forth in that type of conversation. It is part of his nature to get over the PC of the day that apparently you are a member of. As for Anti-Semitism, I am not one lost on the history of the Jewish plight being part Jewish myself. Second, it is with regret that we could not have a store employee answer you or your wife's questions faster. Last, I and my wife have an open line of communication on here or my cell phone to address ANY complaint from the general public. Once someone on this forum makes an statement about our shop or another about a bad experience, the shop itself is generalized about some mysterious ill-treatment that has been bestowed upon a customer in the past that is never fully identified.

• Like 1

Joe:  I'm as far from the PC crowd as a person can be.  Your other customer who made the remarks wasn't Jewish-maybe since the tone was already set I reacted more strongly to the remarks that were made. It is pretty unusual for me to hit several Anti-Semitic players at one time, comedic or not. Perhaps if you had acknowledged me at all I might have been more understanding.  And I think I've been anything but vague about my experience in your shop.....I described the day, time, who accompanied me, and your wife's positive actions.  I also accurately described the events that transpired to the best of my ability.   You try to trivialize what happened or discount everything as the actions of an unreasonable person, but the truth is I've never gone online to disparage an independent small business of any sort....having been there myself I try to encourage support for the little guy . My experience at your shop is how I saw it.  This is a forum where people relate their experiences with shops or ranges.  I have done so, drawn my conclusions, and will move onward. Please take my observations for what they were....my observations.  If what happened at your business was not a normal occurrence or was misunderstood, so be it and I am sorry about my timing.  I'll go my separate way and sincerely wish you good luck in your future

I thank you for responding so soon. After speaking to my wife she states that you said you were "just looking". It is our policy to allow the customer to look as long as they want. When they want to see something or need us they then ask after we acknowledge them. Anyway, we try to give a pleasant and stress-free environment to the firearm shopping experience. If we have failed in that regard, we regret that and will strive to reach that goal.

Thanking you in advance,

Joe Hawk

Guns & Roses

This really upset me.  I'm not exactly thin-skinned, to say the least.  But Anti-Semitism must have been the theme of the day!  It's so hard to find FFL dealers with storefronts nowadays.....so many guys have gone to working out of their basements.  I remember the NJ gun shops where people would go to hangout...also used to enjoy the automotive speed shops like that.  I guess I'm just just a dinosaur thinking back to prehistoric times.

If it's not a huge drive for you, try  Steve at Monmouth Arms.  He'll fix you right up. 

A positive experience about Joe Hawk at Guns & Roses:

... I stop in the store every couple of months looking to see if he has any pre 1898 single shot rifles for sale.  One day there, asked Joe if he stocked ammo boxes - No but he asked me what calibers I needed.  Told him 4 calibers.  He immediately called Dave Capozzi the gunsmith in Lakehurst.  Dave had the caliber boxes I needed.  Within a half hour Dave was at the store with the boxes.  Joe sold them to me at his cost

Go to any other gun store and if they carry ammo boxes ...and they don't have the specific caliber one needs ... the answer normally is ... "Sorry, we don't have them in stock"

A positive experience about Joe Hawk at Guns & Roses:

... I stop in the store every couple of months looking to see if he has any pre 1898 single shot rifles for sale. One day there, asked Joe if he stocked ammo boxes - No but he asked me what calibers I needed. Told him 4 calibers. He immediately called Dave Capozzi the gunsmith in Lakehurst. Dave had the caliber boxes I needed. Within a half hour Dave was at the store with the boxes. Joe sold them to me at his cost

Go to any other gun store and if they carry ammo boxes ...and they don't have the specific caliber one needs ... the answer normally is ... "Sorry, we don't have them in stock"

That is great customer service

Anti-semitism aside, from your post you seemed pretty annoyed at having found a gun shop where people go to hang out. 

Just don't wear horns!  I  was pointing out that I heard what I heard and it is proper retail practice to acknowledge a customer waiting...which was done initially.  Even in a crowd a businesses rep should let on he/she knows there's a prospective customer waiting with a comment or even a glance.....I don't mind waiting and often do if that happens...that is a part of a neighborhood business.  

Joe and I agreed this shouldn't degenerate into an online pi**ing match and we could just move on.  It was just my experience that day and I sincerely hope it was the exception rather than the rule.  

I consider it water under the bridge.  

I had cash, a fresh open Permit to Purchase, and was looking for something that seemed a lot like that original box Diamondback that "customer" guy was pawing.

Could this be the real reason why jeffsolo was tweaked at Guns & Roses that day?  :fuckyou: