zebra007

1st time buyer, What mistakes can I learn from you guys

I'm looking at purchasing my 1st pistols.  I have 3 permits in hand and an idea of what I think I want.   Most likely I'll take the beginners classes at either GFH or RTSP.  Next I'll be looking at joining the old bridge club since its close by, and the competitions sound like a good time. 

I'm looking to end up with a 22 pistol and rifle for the competitions, cheap fun and for guests to use with me at the ranges.

I'm also looking to get a 9mm and possibly an AR or AK type rifle.

Currently I'm looking at the Ruger sr22 and the Sig sauer p226 mk24.

I have about 2 weeks before my 1st permit expires.  So my 1st purchase would most likely be the 22sr since its cheaper and I can spend more time checking out the other variants of the p226.

I feel I don't know enough to buy a used one and for the Sig it seems like used ones are not much cheaper than brand new ones.

So what do you find yourself always repeating over and over to people new to shooting?

If possible, shoot any handgun you're interested in before you buy it. Hands on comparisons are usually revealing.

As for the Sig P226 in 9mm, consider the SAO variant. (Single Action Only) Functions like a 1911, but it's a 9mm Sig. Great trigger.

Of course there are several other worthy 226 variants, as I'm sure you'll hear.

You'll be the judge.

P.S. You might ask the mods to delete your duplicate post. Happens to the best of us.

The Ruger sr22 was my first gun and a great entry level gun imo.

I always recommend renting the ones you think you'd like to buy. Try before you buy. I've changed my mind more than once. RTSP has a pretty good selection.

Good luck.

Already removed the duplicate :)

Try out EVERYTHING you can - you may find you'll fall in love with a pistol before you get what you were originally planning.

Happened to me - I thought i was dead set on my first pistol being a Glock 19... then I tried the Beretta Px4 Storm and was hooked.

5+ years later, I still don't own a Glock.

Lessons I learning (may not apply to everyone),

* Unless your town takes MONTHS for pistol permits, dont rush into buying just to burn permits. 

* Try before you buy

* Buy used ones .. after I bought some as new, I found lightly used ones for great prices

* Focus more on shooting and enjoying the ones you have then focusing just on buying

For me, standardizing on ammo for guns you will shoot a lot was a lesson learned. I don't mean everything has to be the same, but trying to keep consistent makes life easier. Example, for me I settled on 9mm for most of my pistols that I shoot a lot. It means I can stock up on good deals, expensive defensive ammo works accross my collection, can grab any pistol and I know I'll have ammo for it, and reloading is easier not having to stock up on different components and press configs.

Try before you buy.  Either find someone that will let you shoot theirs or go to a place like RTSP that will let you rent a whole bunch for a flat fee and see what feels good in your hand.  

I am confused when you say you have three permits and your first permit expires in two weeks.  Assuming you applied for them all at the same time they should each be valid for 90 days, and assuming you don't live in an ass-wipe town you should be able to extend them for another 90 days.

As for competition, I think you will find that with the exception of static steel there is not much you will use a .22 to compete with.  Since you say you are near OB I would suggest you try Knockdown steel, USPSA and IDPA there and see which you like.  You will need a minimum of 9mm for those matches.

Obrpc also has the OBRAMS for 22.

Take the lesson before making a purchase. Ask questions if you don't understand something. Gfh guys are very patient. I assume RTSP are also. You will learn what questions to ask. You can easily get confused with all the options.

ie DAO/SAO/DAK/ DA/SA. striker fired vs hammer fire. Decocker model vs safety model. Etc.

Definitely try before you buy.

If possible, take the course BEFORE you make your purchase.

I am a new shooter as well, and took the NRA Basic Pistol course before I purchased.  Gives you the opportunity to feel comfortable with pistols and you may get to shoot a few different ones during the class.

Just for reference, I purchased the M&P22 and the M&P9.  I would have liked to get the Ruger 22/45 or MarkIII for the .22 plinker, but my logic for the M&P22 was I wanted to practice with a firearm that was as close as possible to my "real" firearm.  The M&P22 is the SAME exact lower polymer grip as my 9, so they both feel almost identical in my hand.

I can't say much about lessons learned with pistols, since I have been lucky enough not to purchase one I didn't like.  Rifles though are a different story, I learned a big lesson with rifles, especially AR and AK that cost me a lot of money.  DON'T buy every add on you see!  I have spent enough on add ons to buy 3 more rifles and most of them are in a rubbermaid bin collecting dust, atleast those I couldn't sell on ebay.  

I'm assuming you're a total beginner, but correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Don't get overly obsessed about getting your first gun perfect. Whatever you get, you'll eventually tire of it and get another.

2. Just because a gun feels good in your hand at the counter doesn't necessarily mean it'll feel good when shooting it.

3. Ideally, you should first take an intro to handgun class and then get a couple hundred rounds under your belt on the same gun before you start "trying out" guns. You should use the same gun during this time so that you'll have a point of reference. I think it's hard to appreciate how a gun feels in your hand when you may not even know the correct way to hold/shoot one.

4. A P226 I think is a fine choice. If you want a Mk24 Navy version fine, but keep in mind you're paying a couple hundred premium just for the anchor printed on the slide and the "phosphated internals for corrosion resistance". Have you checked cdnnsports for used sigs? I think I just saw an e-mail for a P226 in .40S&W for $399.

Also keep in mind that Sigs come in a variety of grips/triggers that will have different feels. The Navy version, as configured with large grips and regular reach trigger, will be good if you have large hands. But Sigs also come in the so-called E2 grip (one-piece, rougher texture) and G10 style grips, both of which will be better suited for smaller hands.

5. Lessons are far more important than range time. It's pointless to practice if you're not practicing correctly. After your intro to handgun class, I recommend following up with a private lesson. Again, assuming you're a beginner, all the stuff they throw at you during an intro class can be hard to absorb. Shooting a bit, following up with a private lesson, helps to ingrain good shooting habits.

My first gun was a p226r. My suggestion, get a striker fired gun, unless it's only a range toy. It doesn't take long before the da/sa trigger and higher bore axis shows why so many people and instructors recommend to stay away from the design. I tend to recommend people start their search with a glock 17 or 19 or a full size m&p. If neither of those work, then expand the search.

My second recommendation, unless you plan to shoot for competition where 9mm is scored differently, don't get a 40. It doesn't buy you anything except more expensive ammo and a gun that's slightly (maybe even very slightly) harder to shoot.

I bored quickly shooting 22lr. I'd go right for the 9mm if it was me.

To save some money get the P226 in 22 caliber. U can then get tbe conversion kit later for 9mm. No pistol permit required for conversion kit. Cheaper than purchasing the 9 and then getting 22.convedsion kit.

If your new to shooting you prob haven't heard about the firearm company CZ. Do yourself a favor and check out the CZ-75B. Most copied platlform next to the 1911. Excellant value for a great gun.

Well I just got back from RTSP,  I checked out the p226's,  the mk25 felt great in my hand another p226 with different grips felt not as good.  I didn't seem to mind the ds/sa trigger.  I guess I need to read what the issues are with them.  I briefly looked at the some 22 cal but ended up going back to 9mm and renting the p226.  Next time I might check out GFH and play with the 22s.

RTSP was great on giving me a quick refresher on things and answering questions.  They didn't seemed to recommend one pistol over the other.  I didn't want to ask to see and feel everything in the case.  But overall great experience going up there.

I did really like the shooting p226 but I think I'll take the advise of taking the class and lesson before my 1st purchase.  Isn't going to be any cheaper and my feels good might not    

Any issues with buying a used gun online, sight unseen, especially since I couldn't tell you if one was abused or not?

But keep the comments coming they are defiantly helping me out.

I'm looking at purchasing my 1st pistols.  I have 3 permits in hand and an idea of what I think I want.   Most likely I'll take the beginners classes at either GFH or RTSP.  Next I'll be looking at joining the old bridge club since its close by, and the competitions sound like a good time. 

I'm looking to end up with a 22 pistol and rifle for the competitions, cheap fun and for guests to use with me at the ranges.

I'm also looking to get a 9mm and possibly an AR or AK type rifle.

Currently I'm looking at the Ruger sr22 and the Sig sauer p226 mk24.

I have about 2 weeks before my 1st permit expires.  So my 1st purchase would most likely be the 22sr since its cheaper and I can spend more time checking out the other variants of the p226.

I feel I don't know enough to buy a used one and for the Sig it seems like used ones are not much cheaper than brand new ones.

So what do you find yourself always repeating over and over to people new to shooting?

1. Don't buy a handgun you haven't shot. You're investing $400-$1000. You can afford $25 to try it out.

2. Look for reliability in the reviews. Nothing more of a bummer than a semi-auto that screws up once or more per mag

3. Consider revolvers. They're fun and never give you problem (2)

4. Don't feel like you have to use all your permits. That belief led me to under-researching two guns, both of which are now paper weights. 

5. Don't listen to anything I say about handguns

Well I just got back from RTSP,  I checked out the p226's,  the mk25 felt great in my hand another p226 with different grips felt not as good.  I didn't seem to mind the ds/sa trigger.  I guess I need to read what the issues are with them.  I briefly looked at the some 22 cal but ended up going back to 9mm and renting the p226.  Next time I might check out GFH and play with the 22s.

RTSP was great on giving me a quick refresher on things and answering questions.  They didn't seemed to recommend one pistol over the other.  I didn't want to ask to see and feel everything in the case.  But overall great experience going up there.

I did really like the shooting p226 but I think I'll take the advise of taking the class and lesson before my 1st purchase.  Isn't going to be any cheaper and my feels good might not    

Any issues with buying a used gun online, sight unseen, especially since I couldn't tell you if one was abused or not?

But keep the comments coming they are defiantly helping me out.

I would avoid buying used online, as you have no clue what you are getting.  New online from an out of state dealer is fine, but keep in mind that after shipping and FFL transfer fees it might actually be cheaper here.  RTSP often has a decent selection of used stuff and they will stand behind them.  The other option is used face-to-face here in NJ.  That way you can see what you are getting before you buy it.

I don't have an issue with the DA/SA on some guns.  Check out the CZ75b, great gun at a reasonable price.  You can do a lot of work on them to make the DA much lighter too.

My first gun was a p226r. My suggestion, get a striker fired gun, unless it's only a range toy. It doesn't take long before the da/sa trigger and higher bore axis shows why so many people and instructors recommend to stay away from the design. I tend to recommend people start their search with a glock 17 or 19 or a full size m&p. If neither of those work, then expand the search.

Horse pucky! I realize a da/sa gun isn't for everyone and if a P226 didn't work out for you, so be it. But you're making a blanket statement that the P226 is inferior in design and only useful as a range toy, and that's an awfully bold statement to make. It may not have worked out for you, but it won't be the case for everyone.

As many have posted already.....shoot as many firearms as possible.

Don't discount revolvers as they are solid,simple,classic and great fun to shoot.

Stick to as few calibers as possible simply for economy and ease of storage and adaptability.

If considering a HD firearm include the preferences of your significant other..... {ease of racking,grip size,recoil,SA/DA,weight}

Consider magazine and up grades cost {sights,springs,holsters,grips} and availability especially in NJ's 15 round law when purchasing a semi auto firearm..... you'll catch the bug to modify your firearm soon enough so weigh your options.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Horse pucky! I realize a da/sa gun isn't for everyone and if a P226 didn't work out for you, so be it. But you're making a blanket statement that the P226 is inferior in design and only useful as a range toy, and that's an awfully bold statement to make. It may not have worked out for you, but it won't be the case for everyone.

I'm not saying it's an inferior design. It's an iconic design that's been battle proven. But that doesn't change the fact that a gun with a higher bore axis and hammer fired design requirements require more training and/or practice to accomplish the same tasks as a striker fired design. There's a reason people like Larry vickers suggest striker fired over hammer fired designs for students taking their level 1 class.

If one takes the time to learn and properly manipulate the sig, it can be every bit as good as any other gun.

I mentioned if it's a range toy, because some people actually buy with the intent on shooting at the range only. In that case, it's a great gun. I can't tell you how many people I've seen at the range shooting a sig and never decocki get the thing to shoot in DA mode.

I'll be the broken record........I hated the idea of owning a Glock. Tried many pistols and now I'm a reluctant (but proud) owner of many glocks because I just shoot them better than any other pistol. Try a bunch of them, then choose what you shoot best.

Practice a lot with whatever you buy and get good instruction. Base your second purchase on what you like/don't like about your first purchase BUT ONLY if you get some formal instruction.

I'm envious about where you are, there's nothing like your first purchase!!!!!

I'm no expert at all but it is really easy to look at prices and be swayed between a less perfect gun at $400 and a much better one at $525.  My advice: don't.  

What I forgot while making my first purchases was that I'd be spending WAY more on ammo and range time in the long run.  The best thing you can do is spend the extra to get the BEST gun for you personally (within reason).  Of course, it may never be completely perfect and you may regret the decision anyway.  But don't let a price difference blind you from the fact that this is a relatively expensive hobby and the guns will be the central piece of the hobby.  If there is anything to splurge on upfront, it is your tool.  

That being said, a reliable gun that you're comfortable with at $500 is probably a better idea than your dream gun at $1K right now.  Save the cash for practice rounds and range time.  You will need it (we all need it).

1. Don't listen to what other people say.  Pistols are personal like suits or shoes offering different fit, individual performance and aesthetics

Get the gun you want, not the gun another person wants.  Be weary of the guy that says you need to get a [ Beretta 92FS ] and forget [ Glocks ].  If shooting a Sig MK25 makes you feel like an operator, then by all means get one

If you don't like a gun, you can always sell it.  If you don't overpay and there's a good market for the gun (e.g. Glock 19), you won't have trouble selling it for a bit less than you paid.  Trying to sell a $2,800 custom 1911 may be a bit more difficult

Do the math of renting a bunch of guns to try out.  After factoring in the cost of range time, buying their ammo, and the rentals, you might be better off just putting that money towards an OBRPC membership, the gun, and ammo.  You can always sell the gun if it doesn't work out and maybe still come out ahead than renting

Sometimes, you'll see the .40S&W version of a new or used gun (e.g. CZ75B or Sig P226) for quite a bit less than the 9mm version.  Avoid that trap unless you really want to get into .40S&W

Slickguns.com is your friend

Match the gun to the intended purpose.  If you're joining OB, you might be better off getting a 9mm so you can shoot steel, USPSA, IDPA, etc.  Plus, you can have it for home defense.  You'll need to fulfill a participation requirement at OB so you might as well have your first pistol be a bit more versatile

See rule #1

There is some great advice in this thread. To that I would only add that I made a lot of errors in buying my first handgun. I have learned that there is a lot of wisdom in considering the primary use of the gun. Range, home defense, competing? I bought a small Glock 36 in 45acp because I thought it was cool. But it was a lousy range gun. I sold it quickly. I bought a single action Ruger but found that single action made range time boring, and there are not a lot of places for Cowboy Action in NJ. After a lot of missteps, I have settled on a 1911 and love it. Good luck and enjoy.

In no particular order:

Ask lots of questions if you don't know something. Better to sound silly then have something bad happen.

Get training! Learning from friends is fun but the pros have lots of experience and the training plans are made to make sure they don't miss any pertinent details.

Practice. Once you learn to shoot safely, practice safely until it is second nature.

Make sure you are familiar with the manual of arms for whatever you get. (safeties, loading, unloading, clearing chamber, etc)

Check the breakdown and cleaning of the gun you are looking at. Some are really a PITA and others are majorly simple.

Determine what the usage will be (Hobby/range gun, home defense, etc) and if anyone else will be using it (wife, kids). If someone else will be using it, are they capable of using what you are buying? (I.e. Heavy slide pulls and big hand grips aren't conducive to something the wife will have in the bed stand when you are away on a business trip or whatever)

Check the price of ammo for the caliber you are looking at. Determine if you are OK with the price for spending X on practice or hobby use.

Decide how and where you are storing it. Locked away from kids if needed and not easily accessible to theft.

Find ranges near you. It stinks to have to plan a whole day around going to shoot because the range is an hour or more away.

That's all I got off the top of my head.

Good luck with it.

I have a p220 and it was a great choice. Simple manual of arms, 22lr upper available makes it cheap to practice with, (amazingly) simple breakdown for cleaning, good combat sights, everyone talks about the da/sa thing but it's a non-issue. If it's a range gun, just shoot sa only, don't use the decocker. I practice with it da/sa and like that long first pull better then a safety. I have read about the high bore axis but in reality, I have never found it to be an issue. I guess it's all about whatever you are comfortable with.

The angle of the grip on the Glocks is way more of a deal breaker for me then the da/sa of the Sig. I could probably get used to that too if I wanted to but I like the M&P and would probably go that way if I wanted a striker fired.

To the OP, Don't discount revolvers either. I just picked up my first, a Ruger GP100 Match Champion and it is a great shooter with a simple manual of arms and reloads pretty quick with speedloaders. Cleaning is a little longer (6 chambers :) ) but a lot of fun to shoot. 38 special has very light recoil from it haven't run any 357 though it yet. I think I would trust it as a range, competition or defensive weapon with the right ammo of course.

So there it is, something for everyone out there, try as much as you can. Rentals are great for this too. I have rented a lot to find out what is comfortable to me.

JMHO

-Jim