zebra007

1st time buyer, What mistakes can I learn from you guys

Try before you buy, there are plenty of generous people here who will let you join them to try some guns out. Bring your own ammo or pay the person for the ammo-a realistic price.

Take your time, don't get impatient and pull the trigger on something that isn't what you really want.

Check for yourself, don't just take someone's word, even someone who sells guns and should know; look at the paperwork and ensure the serial number on the gun matches the paperwork. I had to bring the rifle back and get the correct one.

I once brought home a rifle that was the wrong serial number because I didn't check. I once brought home a 16 round mag from a NJ dealer who told me it was a 10 round mag and I didn't realize it until a few days later. I destroyed the mag just to be safe. When I called the shop where I got it the owner told me I should have checked sooner and it was on me. He was right; as an adult I needed to be responsible for the transaction too.

Enjoy.

If you are in the Cape May/Cumberland area I will bring you out.

I have bought a lot of guns over the last 7 or so years. The only ones I have been disappointed in are those that I bought because they were cheap. 

For a 22 handgun you really need to check out the Rugers 22/45 or MKIII and the Browning buckmark. If you have smaller hands and can get over the looks the Beretta NEOS is a fantastic shooter.

I think the P226 is one of the most accurate handguns I've ever fired. If you find one you like its a beautiful and highly functional pistol. My first pistol was DA/SA and its pretty straight forward. As others mentioned, definitely don't skimp and buy a pistol just because it's cheaper, you'll be kicking yourself later. Find a pistol that is easily convertible to other calibers. It is very helpful to be able to shoot 9mm as its cheaper and 40 caliber as it was one of the only calibers you could purchase after Sandy Hook which is why I got into the caliber. I've actually grown to like the bastardized 40 caliber. Take all firearms advice with a grain of salt. ;)

My advice to new purchasers would be:

1. Try before you buy.

2. Order TRIPLE the ammo than you initially think you need.

3. Don't forget to factor in accessories - range bag, magazines, loader, cleaning supplies, eyes/ears, etc.

4. Practice often.

As a side note, I buy Freedom Munitions reman ammo for the range - works great and why spend $$$ for punching paper. For SD/HD I use Hornady Critical Duty.

Enjoy!!

I started recently too, back in August.  My first purchase was a S&W 686+ 4".  I bought it for reliability, and I've had nothing but problems with it (jamming/binding).  It's making its way back to the factory for the second time to get repaired again, hopefully they get it right this time.  

My second purchase was a p226 MK25.  I have had 0 problems and could not be happier.  

For 9mm I liked the shooting p226 but I'm going to a class and lesson before my 1st purchase.  One of the permits will expire I'll look into the extension when I get back in NJ.

Since I already went to RTSP in a few days I'll be checking out Gun for Hire then decide which is better for me.  I'm also going to checkout an event at Old Bridge.   

If I can add something here it would be "don't rush to buy".   Make a list of what you want and keep an eye on the marketplace.  Something will usually turn up but you just don't know when.  For example, I just found a like new, unfired, in the box Sig P226 that was originally bought in 2009.  Paid $575 for it, significantly less than they go for now.  And always keep a permit ready.  Usually means applying for more before the current ones expire, but if your town cooperates and sticks to the 30-day turnaround that they're supposed to, OGAM means you apply when you use the last one.  

Thanks everyone all for your advise given on this topic.

I ended up buying a P226 Mk25 desert new from RTSP.   Went through many, many rentals, this worked the best for me every time I rented it.   I was very close to getting the TacOps, maybe I'll upgrade the trigger, front sights  and switch the grips later to change things up.  I had a hard time finding anything used that wasn't within a few hundred of brand new.  So I just bought new.

RTSP was excellent to deal with on all levels.  Swapping out rental pistols was no issue (weekdays when slow) and on the range they helped me out every time they knew I needed it.  Purchasing was pretty simple and price was within $50 of online.  

My advice to first time buyers don't worry about the permits expiring.   Renting many times will let you know what works for you.  I spent a few hundred in rentals and ammo but I feel it prevented me from buying something just to have until I bought what I wanted.  At the range tell them your new to shooting, they will give you a little more attention if you need it.  

Just be respectful of their busy times, I only went on weekday mornings.  I always made sure I wasn't holding up a sale or preventing workers from servicing others.  

Ok now I think I want to get a rifle so...

Glad to hear you had a great experience!

Get yourself a nice little Ruger 10/22 and a hunting permit. Cheap ammo and shoot free at WMA's that have rifle range. .22's are a lot of fun to shoot for a first time rifle.

I'm not a sig guy myself but...

Go buy all the ammo you need! Elections make people go crazy. 9mm is very affordable right now. Buy online, ship to home. It is currently going for less than $10 a box and that price will jump significantly and supply will dry up.