AVB-AMG

What is the Proper Age for Children to Learn about firearms?

I have been asked by friends and neighbors what I think is the proper age for children to learn about guns, how to safely act with guns and how old they should be before they are allowed to shoot.  I am sure most folks here on NJGF have had similar inquiries and also have definite opinions on this topic.  There have been some previous threads that addressed this topic but I thought it may make sense to ask the NJGF community their current thoughts on this issue,while sharing my own thoughts and my responses to them

My response to my friends and neighbors is: “It really depends on the specific child AND the parents’ attitude towards guns”.  We all have known young children who are very mature for their age, while also knowing young adults or even older adults who are shockingly immature.  My perspective on this issue is from growing up in the suburbs, as opposed to a rural or farm setting, so may differ from those who experienced that entirely different environment as a child and teenager.

I have explained that in NJ the minimum age for obtaining a hunting license and the prerequisite completion of a hunters education course, is 10 years old, and that the child may hunt only when accompanied by a properly licensed adult aged 21 or older.  Another factor is the physicality of the child.  Is he or she tall, strong and steady enough to handle the recoil of a rifle?  Are they mature enough to understand that the firearm is NOT a toy and what the permanent effects are of something that has been shot?  Are they truly interested in learning or is it you, the parent that is possibly prematurely urging them to learn and hoping they will share your interest in guns?  All of these are factors that contribute to determining the appropriate age for a child to be introduced to firearms.  Just remember that whatever you do is your own responsibility. You are the one who will have to live with whatever choices you make.

I tell my friends that they are the best judges of the maturity of their children and that each child is different and finally, to use common sense.  It is vital that the parents ensure that their children learn how to safely handle and use a firearm, before live ammunition is ever introduced.  It is paramount that the parents take full responsibility to train their children to respect and understand that firearms are weapons and that improper use can be lethal, a concept that children below a certain age find hard to grasp.  IMHO, I seriously doubt that a child of 5 or 6 can have the ability to genuinely know how dangerous guns can be, and how very easy it is to accidentally end someone’s life with a single mistake.

As with anything else potentially dangerous to children, education is vital, whether it is about sex, alcohol, drugs, fireworks, swimming or guns. Children are naturally curious and it's better for the parent to be proactive to teach their child/children about gun safety as a good preventative measure. If you can't or will not do it, have an experienced professional teacher do it for you in an organized class or if you can afford to, one-on-one instruction.  Sometimes, the instructor may have the patience to teach, that the parent may lack.  Also, as many parents know, a 3rd party instructor may garner more respect from an older child who may be entering the typical rebellious stage of adolescence.  If you don't provide this instruction, someone else may “tell” your child about guns and they may not get it right.

AVB-AMG

Rifle vs. Handgun

Once the parent determines that a child is actually interested in learning how to safely use a firearm, would be to advocate teaching them how to first use a rifle, instead of a handgun.  There is an inherent logic on starting a child off with a smaller caliber firearm and once they are comfortable and have demonstrated basic safety, understanding and proficiency with that weapon, then and only then progress to more powerful weapons, all under parental and/or adult supervision.  My bias is for children to be taught initially on the use of rifles and shotguns and to not allow the use of a handgun until someone is in their middle teens AND has demonstrated safe use and maturity with other guns.  Any other opinions...?

Parents Have Guns in the Home

A separate issue is if the parent keeps a gun in the house, teaching the child how to safely handle it is an absolute necessity, but at what age?  If the child sees you with any type of gun they will be very curious and inquisitive.  It is the parent’s responsibility to lock up all firearms in a safe that is inaccessible to children, (and others).  Then, at an age that the parents feel is appropriate for their child, teach the child basic gun safety, which may most likely be at an even younger age, where it starts with teaching them not to touch a gun without an adult present and supervising; what to do if they find a gun; always treat a gun as if it's loaded; always point the muzzle in a safe direction, etc. It is very important that the parent teach them what it is and is not acceptable, far before graduating to actual shooting.  I think in this situation, teaching the child or children should occur at a younger age, as deemed appropriate by the parent, where they may let them see and touch the firearm, explain some of how they work, and start to work on to the safety rules. 

FYI, here is a very informative and detailed web site on how to teach firearm safety to young children, written by a female firearms instructor and mother:    http://www.corneredcat.com/contents

What happens when your child goes to one of their friends’ house and the other family may have guns?  How will you be a responsible parent and protect him or her there?  All you can do is to teach them as best you can and what to do in that type of situation and for them to have the courage to leave an unsafe environment if the other parties refuse to act safely, potentially jeopardizing your child’s safety.  You can't child-proof the world, so you must gun-proof the child as best as possible for those “what if” scenarios.

Well Nickjc, you certainly seem to have cynicism and paranoia issues. Too bad you feel that way.  

So tell me what is a "real gun guy"? Only someone who fits your image or ideal? Maybe you need to wake up and realize that the enjoyment of firearms by many people has evolved from your narrow idea of what constitutes a gun guy. There are many people like me who are re-discovering the fun of shooting guns on a range and/or competitively, in addition to wanting them for self/home defense. Yet, we do not obsess about guns and are not "one issue / 2A" people since we have many other family and work obligations, as well as other diversified interests and hobbies. Look at my posts and you will see that I am a serious and thoughtful contributed to the NJGF and not a "drive by snarky poster", like some seem to be and relish in doing.

I like to think of myself as a reasonable, sensible moderate on gun rights, eager to share my thoughts and opinions, while also asking for other opinions and listening and considering them. What I am not is a fanatic advocating absolutes on either side. So that makes me a troll in your book? Really?

BTW - Thank you for at least stating your brief opinion on this topic. I respect that, something that you are apparently unwilling to do for me... Maybe it is time to meet and share our thoughts on these issues over a couple of Boddington drafts... AVB-AMG

This is actually an important issue for me as I have a 7yr old son, a bit immature mentally, and a soon to be 14yr old daughter. So I love any discussion that can be had on this subject. 

InFamous:

I agree that this is an important issue and I expect you will get many different opinions from those willing to share them.

When asked, I explain to my friends/neighbors that I was 11 years old when I first learned how to shoot a .22 bolt-action long rifle rimfire at a summer camp, as well as continuing through my early teens as a member of the Junior Essex Troop of Cavalry, (the junior mounted troop affiliated with the 1st Squadron, B Troop of the 102nd Armored Cavalry Regiment of the New Jersey Army National Guard, based at the Armory in West Orange, NJ).  All shooting was under strict instruction and supervision by adults, where I learned to respect firearms and how to handle them properly, as well as shoot rifles accurately from a standing, kneeling and prone position. My instructors were knowledgeable and very strict that I learn how to safely use a gun and understand and respect that they are not toys. I really enjoyed .22 rifle shooting, joined a rifle team and over the next three years, became quite proficient, working my way up to the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program Sharpshooter level - Bar 9. Then by age 14, with raging hormones, I discovered girls and left my interest in guns behind, not to be resurrected until many years later.

IMHO, at this point I believe that 10-11 yrs. old is the ideal safe age for teaching most, but not all children, to fire age-appropriate weapons in a patient, methodical, and controlled setting. Every child is different and therefore a strict age limit is very hard to impose by any gun range. Teaching a child about firearms is key and should be performed first by knowledgeable adults and only under very good supervision, taking into account the child's strength, maturity and discipline. Also, the parent should recognize that the selection of the appropriate caliber of the weapon needs to be factored in as well. Starting them off with something like an airsoft gun or a pellet/bb gun is far more appropriate though until they have the necessary physical ability and maturity to handle a real gun. Most importantly, I was taught and children should be taught to never point the gun at anything that I/they did not want to put a hole in. Live firing of any weapon should never supersede intensive gun safety instruction. There is no substitute for it. You can't put the horse before the cart. Also, loading a gun with one round and one round only, is a good way to start off a child so instruction may be performed after every shot, until they learn what to do properly.

Most young children with their parents at the ranges I frequent in NJ are well behaved and seem to listen intently to what their parent and/or instructor is telling them to do and not to do.

What concerns me is what I have observed on occasion at some ranges in other States. Some very young children, younger than 10 years of age have not demonstrated the discipline or attention span to understand and abide by necessary range/firearm safety precautions. While the parents may have good intentions, they have not really thought it through and are risking the safety of their child as well as others on the range. I have witnessed examples of a child running around the ports, picking up shell casings from the ground and not properly holding a gun. It scares the heck out of me and RSO’s have had to intervene, for everyone’s safety. Parents need to act responsibly and rationally and not bring their children to a gun range before they are ready. Sometimes, I have a suspicion that the parent is not thinking beyond their ideas of a "cute" video for YouTube when they set these potential disasters in motion with a child too young to safely be on a shooting range.

Yet, if taught properly and continuously reinforced the safe handling of firearms, most children will grow to respect them and appreciate the fun aspect of this recreational sport.

What are your experiences with this issue?

AVB-AMG

It seems like you're answering your own questions (making statements).

I started my son when he was 4 years old.  Bought him a .22 single-shot bolt-action youth model w/o any mag.  Load it in the tray & push it (the bolt) home.  

Here's what I do to show the effects of being shot:  Grab a couple 1 gal milk jugs w/ screw tops and fill them with red food dyed water.  Shoot one with a .22 rifle & then one with a .50 or greater.  Tell the kids it just takes longer to die when hit with a smaller caliber gun........

If you wanna have all of your questions answered, just PM me and we'll chat on the phone.

I have a 6 yr old step son I'd really love to start with.  I just don't think he is there yet.  He can hardly go a day in school without getting himself in trouble.  I may try the single shot .22 idea 

The single shot approach or a magazine fed bolt that allows to be single fed is a great place to start, gives them the boom factor, a controlled environment, etc. (Savage MK II is a great inexpensive place to start)

One thought, WHERE and HOW you introduce is very important.  Do it somewhere safe with few distractions if possible, young kids, especially boys are easily distracted.... (um what was I saying? :-)

Anyway, another thought, is make sure you can safely teach firearm safety, etiquette and reinforce them firmly and safely. A loud public range is not the best place to do that. go through the motions at home, and find a not busy range if possible.

All this is said as I have a vivid (and frightening memory) of a day at the Clinton WMA rifle range that was full of probably 12-15 people with 6-7 at the shooting tables. One dad had his 9-11 year old son taking single shot efforts with a Ruger 10-22. First off the gun is hard to load single shot, but possible. Because of that and the lack of supervision, the boy was sweeping everyone to his left to point the barrel at 8 or more people, loading the round, then sweeping it back at everyone before shooting. I saw him do this twice, I pointed out to the father the safety concerns (gently I believe), he blew me off. I turned around, packed up and left (with my son and his friend were very disappointed) and lead an unexpected educational discussion with them on firearms safety and how fun can only be had when safe.

I have a drill whenever non-family shooters go the range with me where we quiz the 3 rules of firearms safety and do a bit of role playing the car, so the drive home was an after-action discussion of how those rules being ignored ruined our day.

What really surprised me is that the folks around me didn't seem to care or were too enthralled in their own shooting to even notice they were in mortal danger. I was not private in my concerns either.

Bottom Line, the child And the parent need to be mature enough to learn to shoot.  I know kids who are 4 that can absorb the lessons well and I have witnessed 60 year-olds who are not mature enough.

In the immortal words of all millenials today, TL/DR.

There is a large difference between teaching gun safety and teaching shooting.

Gun safety should be taught as soon as the child is able to comprehend what a gun is.

Safe firearms operation is however dependent on many other factors, some of which are individual maturity, physical control, small motor control, ability to pay attention, etc. A responsible and effective parent will know when their child is ready. I don't pretend to think that I can tell you when your child is ready unless I've spent a good deal of time with that child.

Very interesting topic.  As many have said, it all depends on the mental age of the child, assuming the child can physically handle a firearm.  I won't go back into the talk of maturity and method for early usage because I feel that has been summarily responded to with good result.  

As for giving a child access to firearms in the home, I feel that this is a MUCH bigger issue than supervised use at a range or such.  I am of the opinion that hardly any child (under 18/high school or lower) should ever have access to a firearm in the home.  While we all would like our children to be able to defend themselves should they ever need, we have to keep in mind that a child's brain is not fully developed, particularly the frontal lobe which concerns decision-making.  What we see of children is rarely the entire picture and children may encounter pressures from their environment or even their own minds (mental health issues, I'm looking at you). 

People like to think, "oh my kid is mature and knows how to respect weapons" but within days, hours, or minutes, that kid could suddenly find the need to impress a "popular kids" at school, or a girl/boy, or just need to make a new friend by showing this unknown kid the gun that their parent lets them use.  Your influence over your children will never be a powerful as you'd like to believe.  That is the hard truth and it has always been that way.  And as I said, this child is inherently less able to make thought out decisions than an adult.  So when your child has been bullied (unbeknownst to you), or the child has been dealing with depression or bipolar disorder (which you wrote off as normal teen angst or hormonal swings), there is a MUCH greater likelihood of the kid doing something stupid.  Again, that's the way it has always been.  I don't think that giving a kid private access to a firearm is a smart decision, even if you believe that your child is the exception (because he/she almost certainly isn't).

I have a drill whenever non-family shooters go the range with me where we quiz the 3 rules of firearms safety and do a bit of role playing the car, so the drive home was an after-action discussion of how those rules being ignored ruined our day.

Quiz them on all 4.

For range use at age 4, all the kid has to know is not to touch w/o a parent being there at their side to instruct them.  If they follow that simple rule, then there isn't any problem(s).  If they can't follow THAT rule, then the Kid is too young to listen and behave, so try when they're older and more "with it".  Also the younger the kid, the shorter the shooting lesson.  When you go out fancy for dinner you don't expect a 4 year old to eat a six course meal for 3 hours at a 5-star restaurant w/o getting up to go potty.  Same goes for using his/her single-shot .22.  You can't force it, you can't make it a "chore".  When they tire, make sure they take breaks, get water and a snack (bring D-Lead wipes).  KEEP IT FUN!  Private Clubs with outdoor range pits that you needn't share with M-4's and the like are ideal.  The Kid doesn't have to support the weight of the rifle.  This is accomplished by means of a Caldwell sand bag to support the weight of the youth model rifle AND it miraculously keeps the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, ready for the 4 year old to insert the safety flag.  Bring a coupla phone books (yep, I'm a Dinosaur) for the Kid to sit on comfortably so accurate shots can hit a target at least 10 yards away from the bench rest.  Call the firing line COLD just like you'd do for adults, have the Kid open it up and show clear and insert safety flag, then go check the target(s).  This gives them a chance to not only see what they've accomplished, but also gives them a reason not to be fidgety and pay close attention to everything you say!

I realize that 4 is rather young, and that each Kid is different.  My son was able to speak his mind at an early age, and during gun cleaning sessions he would often ask to watch & help some.  Of course I was careful to avoid lead exposure and cleaning solvents, but I often asked for help fetching things like screwdrivers and related equipment.  We always repeated the 4 basic safety rules, and I always treated him as if HE was the RO by opening and showing clear everything on the workbench prior to putting it away (and THAT stuck with him to this day, 22 years later).  Establishing a SAFE DIRECTION prior to handling is just "natural" to him, so I feel I did my job well.

As to leaving firearms within reach of a responsible Kid, I have to plead the 5th since I can't admit to anything on a public forum since we're still in the People's Republic of NJ.  I will say this though, my son was taught how to say NO to visiting friends and direct any inquiries to my attention, at which time I got on the phone to the other Kid's parents and asked permission to take everyone to the range.  I eventually taught the entire Boy Scout Troop how to safely handle and shoot, and once took his entire patrol (in their early teens) to Cabela's for a field trip (with parental permission, of course).  Bought a used 20 ga. Beretta Youth Model scattergun and 4K rounds of mixed ammo on that excursion.  The guy at Cabela's handed me the uncased/unboxed Beretta at the front door and told me to have a nice day.  My soon-to-be Eagle Scout looks at the gun and says, "Dad, they handed it to you with the action closed" (I of course cleared it in a SAFE direction as we were walking to my Truck)!  So I guess I did them right, lol!

The above "story" isn't about me or my exploits, just a synopsis of what can be done if you have the time and patience to do it right.  All seven Boys in his Patrol went on to become Eagle Scouts.  Six out of seven got both the scattergun and rifle Merit Badges.  Today they're 26-29 years old, most are firearms owners.  One is a NRA ranked Expert.  One is a Amtrak Cop that had ZERO problems qualifying with ANY firearm they handed him. 

So good luck to all of you Dads and Moms going through what I did.  And remember they grow-up FAST, so be patient!

Dave

Maybe it is the cynic in me. But every post of yours screams troll...screams...I'm not a real gun guy I'm faking it ......screams......I'm probing the gun forums for ammo ton use against themselves. ....

As they say on the Internets, obvious troll is obvious. For example:

"I first learned how to shoot a .22 bolt-action long rifle rimfire"

"if the parent keeps a gun in the house"

Guns are just a part of life for us. My kids saw me with them from when they were very young.  They were always locked up or trigger locked but as soon as they could understand "don't touch that", they learned "don't touch that."

My daughter first shoot a bb gun with me when she was 4.  It was treated as a "real" firearm and she held it with dad.  She was a pretty good shot and she enjoyed it.  She slowly moved up to bigger things.  She's turning 16 this month and shoots a lot when the weather is good.  She has "her" .22 handgun which she and I went shopping for together.  It's locked up in my safe but whenever she wants to shoot, I'll get it for her.  She's been shooting for 12 years and knows all the safety rules, can clear a jamb, knows what to do with a FTF.  I let her shoot on her own in the back yard as long as I'm home - in case she needs me. 

My son's ability to pay attention wasn't as developed at 4.  He first shot with me when he was 6.  He's 8 now and has shot a few of my smaller guns with me helping to hold it.  I've just started to let him hold them alone - with me inches away. 

I think girls are able to pay attention to details and focus on a task better than boys. 

• Like 1

Maintenanceguy...... you beat me to it. When I was around 5 or 6 I had a bb gun. My friends had bb guns. We lived in farm country in south jersey and that's how we all started out. In the beginning stages always supervised. After our folks knew we had respect for the "gun"  because that is what it was, we were on our own. When I decided I wanted to hunt, I was instructed on a 410. I already new all the rules so it was a very easy transition.

I'm expecting my first grandchild in March. I have already decided that if he/she is interested in firearms a bb gun it is. I am also considering an air soft type handgun also. My goal is to teach my grandchild everything they need to know about safely handling a firearm. As mentioned above, I am more worried about the "friends" house and a firearm pops up! If I'm successful, if and when that scenario arises , they will know how to safely clear it of any and all ammo before anyone gets hurt.

The last thing I would want is just another curios kid.

I was about 4 or 5 when i started shooting. Single shot 22. My father taught me respect for all firearms. We shot nearly every weekend. He always made sure i pointed the gun in a safe direction.

If i did anything unsafe i heard about it ,sometimes it was a little harsh but it drilled the points of safety into my head. Its more about the teacher than the student in my opinion.. Poor teachers produce poor students.

Quiz them on all 4.

Not to get in a Cooper vs. the NRA argument, but I use the 3 from NRA rules as they make more sense when also teaching archery (it is obvious when your bow is loaded :-). But my quizzing almost always involves knowing your target and beyond and why you always treat your firearm as loaded (along with a story from my college days that involved a new shotgun to me, a lazy wandering trigger finger and a very very light trigger where I fortunately had the gun in a "safe direction".)

Nick,

Now ya got my antennae up too.  If this Dude is a Troll I probably gave him/her FITS with my post, lol!

I'll be on Rt. 222 tomorrow afternoon, so I'll wave as I pass the water tower area.  Be well my friend!

To OP:

What happens when your child goes to one of their friends’ house and the other family may have guns?

Same thing that happens when they go to friend's house that has laundry & other chemicals, pillows, stairs, hands, fists, knives, baseball bats, small toys, hotdogs, grapes, etc. .....

How will you be a responsible parent and protect him or her there? 

Same answer as above. 

Note: It is this type of language, leading statements etc that are making other members suspect your motives. I am sure you have all good intentions. But the language used is indicative of  a bit of paranoia (excuse my choice of words here) in the other direction. 

To OP:

What happens when your child goes to one of their friends’ house and the other family may have guns?

Same thing that happens when they go to friend's house that has laundry & other chemicals, pillows, stairs, hands, fists, knives, baseball bats, small toys, hotdogs, grapes, etc. .....

How will you be a responsible parent and protect him or her there? 

Same answer as above. 

Note: It is this type of language, leading statements etc that are making other members suspect your motives. I am sure you have all good intentions. But the language used is indicative of  a bit of paranoia (excuse my choice of words here) in the other direction. 

jackandjill:

You make a reasonable point... thank you.

I believe that most parents have a bit of paranoia when it comes to protecting their children and have good intentions, but ultimately need to figure out what is realistic and reasonable.

Thank you for at least thinking that I have good intentions... 

Anyone thinking that I do not is incorrect and makes for an unfortunate misunderstanding of my motives.

AVB-AMG

Nick,

Now ya got my antennae up too.  If this Dude is a Troll I probably gave him/her FITS with my post, lol!

I'll be on Rt. 222 tomorrow afternoon, so I'll wave as I pass the water tower area.  Be well my friend!

Smokin .50:

Actually, I really appreciated your thoughful post sharing your real experiences dealing with this issue and respect your opinion on this topic.

Why would you think otherwise?

AVB-AMG

Smokin .50:

Actually, I really appreciated your thoughful post sharing your real experiences dealing with this issue and respect your opinion on this topic.

Why would you think otherwise?

AVB-AMG

There's always room for me to err.  I see you're in the Summit area.  Instead of a Boddingtons' how about coffee at the Summit Diner?  I know the Owner personally......

Smokin 50 got it right. I learned how to safely shoot a BB gun in the Cub Scouts before moving up to a 22 bolt action and 20ga in the Boy Scouts. There were rules, and those rules were tightly followed.

One father was a DEA agent and gave an inspiring demo of exactly how dangerous an Uzi can be, but that's a bit off topic.

Let me add one additional thing..........  What you can say can and WILL be used against you.

Hypothetically, if in response to your question above was that I, as part of a test of my children and their 'training', to not touch but go get an adult when seeing a firearm unattended, I left a handgun on the table for days.

If *THAT* one piece of information was to get out, if that one piece of information made it to the wrong ear.  Guess what, I have a problem, technically i broke the law.

Did you know that a member here had a HUGE problem just because his son was in a picture holding a firearm?  Did you know the State child welfare folks showed up....I am sure he will tell you about it.

You have to at least understand the hesitance of some given the climate over firearms, especially in NJ........it is truly us against them.  .......paranoid maybe.....  whats the saying, just because I am paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't really after me....or some silliness like that.  LOL

Nickjc:

Your example and expressed concern is justifiable paranoia that makes sense in the context of an internet blog posting.

I had not really thought of that, and understand and accept your important, (and unfortunate) point, so thank you for elaborating......

Maybe your tentative caution on that good point is part of why you may think that I am some sort of internet troll, if so, it explains much.

Sorry for the verbose PM I sent, but I hope it helps explain better to you of where I am coming from.

Also, FYI - Boddingtons used to be on tap at a local pub/restaurant in my home town and is now cycled through quarterly with introduction of ever more really good craft / micro-brewery beers.

All the best!

AVB-AMG

To me it's not age so much as maturity and responsibility.  Some people have said things about their kids being 8 and shooting or even earlier.  My niece is 8... I don't think she's responsible enough yet.  I may let her shoot bow and arrow in practice/target scenarios under supervision, but that won't be very often.