CAPTAIN

Can I renew a permit after the initial 90 days?

I'm wondering if I can renew a permit after the initial 90 days has expired?

I received a couple permits on June 29th, so they expired on September 26th (if I counted correctly).

They've been expired for almost 3 weeks now, and I just realized this. Is it possible to still have them extended for another 90 days? Obviously they would have to go by the original issue date and only extend them until the 180 consecutive days from the June 29th date.

Is this possible now that they've lapsed from the first 90 days?

each police dept seems to have their own rules when it comes to renewing, my town will not extend them til after they expire, most town will extend them prior to expiration

When I pick up my new permits I've started asking to have them extended right away.  They look at me funny but do it.  That way I don't need to worry about getting it done later.  Won't help you now but something to think about on the next round...

The last I heard was that even if your town will, the firearms unit at NJSP don't like it when they get their copy when you use it. I'm not sure how that works unless the chief has to date when he signed off on the extension. I don't have a form in front of me but I don't remember a box for the date of the renewal.

The last I heard was that even if your town will, the firearms unit at NJSP don't like it when they get their copy when you use it. I'm not sure how that works unless the chief has to date when he signed off on the extension. I don't have a form in front of me but I don't remember a box for the date of the renewal.

To the OP, ask your town's Chief if he can or wouldn't mind back dating the extension. 

I mean we don't want to upset the delicate firearms unit at the NJSP.....lol. 

NJSP will renew but you have to have it done before the initial 90 days are up. Some PD's will not renew at all. Some PD's will renew after it expires.

completely arbitrary and capricious application of the law from town to town.

I have heard of some PD s also that wont extend the permit at all even before it expires

Yes, there is a box for a date it was renewed.

The lady who handles the records in my town showed me a letter they got from the NJSP about 6-9 months ago that said permits can be renewed anytime before the 180 days is out.

I dropped them off on Friday, she said it takes a couple days to renew and "we'll call you when they're ready". I've renewed permits quite a few times before, so I'm hoping I get a call (unlikely, as they usually send a letter telling me they're ready, and I go pick them up with no issues.

One time I bought a pistol with one permit, and knew I couldn't buy another for 30 days and noticed my next permit would expire before then. I tried to drop it off to get renewed and was told that it wasn't close enough to the expiration date, and to come back with it in a week or two. What's the difference if they renew a week or two later? It's still 180 consecutive days from the original issue date.

I'll update this post when I get word, either way.

Some towns will Renew an expired permit....  In fact this must be something done a lot since all dealers in NJ got a letter from the NJSP explaining the rules of renewals....

90 days from the initial date and 180 (if extended) from the initial date regardless of when they issue the extension.

So if your PD renews it after its been expired for 30 days you do not get an additional 90 days from the renewal date.

You only get 60 days till its finally expired.

My local PD just renewed one that was expired for three weeks. The second 90 days starts from the expiration date of the permit or 180 days from the original issue date.

I have heard of some PD s also that wont extend the permit at all even before it expires

Monroe being one of them....................90 days is all you get.

Its 180 total from date of issue

Yes I said that.  I gave two measures, 90 from original expiration or 180 from original issue, whichever is easier to understand.

Our cops are pretty cool about permits but when I was facing a similar situation they told me the only thing I could do was get an extension, which I did, and if I went over I'd be out of luck. Similarly with a lost permit. Yes indeed I lost one and they could not/would not replace it.