SmittyMHS

Who wears glasses?

I can't be alone on this. I know I'm getting old and I'm just getting into handguns. Haven't had much in the way of pratice but from what I've done I seem to have a vision problem I can't seem to figure out. I took a handgun course and realised I had trouble with my progressive lens glasses.Had to tilt my head way back to see the front site clearly. (if you wear them, you know what I'm talking about) So I purchesed a pair of bi-focals. So now I can see the site well. But NOT the target. I can still hit paper but have no idea where exactly. So..my question is...does anyone use an eye Dr. that would undrstand my problem so he could make lenes that somehow would help? Or, better yet, anyone have another fix for this?

Been there, seen it, done it.  My solution was to go to an eye doctor who shoots.  He spent about an hour with me early one Saturday morning with my SIRT pistol (this NJ can't take a real gun to the eye doctor).  Anyway, what I had him do was optimize the lens for my right eye for the exact distance to my sights and optimize the left eye to about 15 yards.  It took a little while to get used to this, but now that I am adjusted to this setup it works great.

Your eye can only focus on one thing at a time. Between the rear sight, front sight and target, pick the front sight. I like howard's solution.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

I've worn eye glasses for 50 years.

Panoramic bifocals are what you need.

The middle is my nearsighted prescription,outside ring is reading glasses and they are progressive.

Fit properly...look down the middle and you have your front sight focused.

Howard's solution is what they do with contact lens' for nearsighted / reading glasses solution.

I guess it works... but he just sold you another pair of glasses you may not need.

I can't be alone on this. I know I'm getting old and I'm just getting into handguns. Haven't had much in the way of pratice but from what I've done I seem to have a vision problem I can't seem to figure out. I took a handgun course and realised I had trouble with my progressive lens glasses.Had to tilt my head way back to see the front site clearly. (if you wear them, you know what I'm talking about) So I purchesed a pair of bi-focals. So now I can see the site well. But NOT the target. I can still hit paper but have no idea where exactly. So..my question is...does anyone use an eye Dr. that would undrstand my problem so he could make lenes that somehow would help? Or, better yet, anyone have another fix for this?

WOW, I'm going to follow this thread.

I am in the SAME exact boat as you.  New to shooting, took the NRA Basic Pistol Course and have the same focus issues with the sights on my handgun!!

As it turns out, I am(eyes) "relatively OK" at the distance of my front sight, but closeer or down range.. not so much. 

I ended up shooting WITHOUT my glasses and did much better than when wearing them.  Also my thought was in a defensive situation, I'm going going to be like "Hey wait, let me find my glasses".  (I don't wear them all the time)

Would be great to hear what a shooting eye doctor would say about it.

Thanks for posting this question

-Craig

yep..same boat here ..and boy the degeneration has picked up steam over last few years. i feel the pain here , and after reading this thread i was poking around the interweb and found these .. stick-on , ply-able and can be cut with scissors to customize and stick on with water and easy to peal off..so says the interweb... i just ordered some in +1.50 dioptic .. $15 bucks to try it, figure what the hell. Of course i just bought proper progressive lenses that are useless for shooting for me.. like the OP, can't lean my head back far enough to use most powerful part of lens...

here is the link to a description, but they are available on Amazon and Prime is available if you use it...

http://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick--Bifocals-1-50/dp/B000W7CMW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445026319&sr=8-1&keywords=stick+on+bifocals+1.5

i'll report back 

• Like 1

Just to be clear I am not old enough to have these types of problems, but I have heard about them (sure).

I went to a regular eye doctor at Costco and explained what I wanted and they obliged. I got two different prescriptions. I am right eye dominant so I got a single prescription for the exact distance from my eye to my front sight (no bifocal or progressive) so that I can clearly see my front pistol sight. You should have someone use a tape measure to get the distance from your eye to your pistol front sight. My left eye is my regular progressive prescription. The doctor thought I would have problems just walking but it was amazing that in a minute or two my eyes adjusted to the different prescriptions.

So now I can clearly see my front sight without contorting my head back.

Unfortunately my shooting still needs improvement and now I can't blame my eyeglasses!

Had the same problem, used a few different pair and compromised for a long time. Then got fitted for multi-focal contacts and couldn't be happier. They focus where ever I look. I don't understand how they work but they work great!

I did the same think a number of years ago. I have a reading prescription and nothing. Tried progressives, bifocals and just hated them. I started with these lenses and love them. My wife is going to do the same at her next visit.

Unfortunately my shooting still needs improvement and now I can't blame my eyeglasses!

Hmmm...maybe I shouldn't look into this problem too hard...lol

I've worn eye glasses for 50 years.

Panoramic bifocals are what you need.

The middle is my nearsighted prescription,outside ring is reading glasses and they are progressive.

Fit properly...look down the middle and you have your front sight focused.

Howard's solution is what they do with contact lens' for nearsighted / reading glasses solution.

I guess it works... but he just sold you another pair of glasses you may not need.

Guess I should make another appointment at the optometrist.

My eye doctor did it a little differently.  He wrote me a prescription for BOTH lenses focused on the front sight.  I asked for them this way.  I never considered different eyes focused at different distances.

Unless you have a pretty low power perscription, I don't think this would work for us older guys with failing vision. I have bi-focals that I got just to see the front sight. Everything beyond that is a blur. Fine if your just going for center mass. Not so good if you want to hit the bull..What I think might work for me is having my pergressives made with the reading part moved up to line of sight. Anyone try that yet?

I've been thru this. I'm naturally near sighted, and my prescrip's pretty light/weak so my eyes aren't that bad. I still have a tough time focusing on the sights and the target. I saw my eye guy and he measured the distance to the front sight. He then gave me a prescrip for contacts, but only the right eye is really the one with the different prescription. I was doing that for a while and while it did work a lot better I was getting tired of swapping in/out contacts jut for practice. I was going to go with a set of shooting glasses until my friend let me try his gun that has a red dot optic. That was it for me. So much easier using my regular glasses (safety glasses over them of course) and I can hit the damn bullseye now....well, usually :)  So I say try an inexpensive dot optic and see how that works for you. I don't care if someone says "you're cheating" because it's all about -my- enjoyment, not theirs, and if I ever need to shoot using irons it'll be for closer-in defense anyway than what I shoot at the range.

I've been thru this. I'm naturally near sighted, and my prescrip's pretty light/weak so my eyes aren't that bad. I still have a tough time focusing on the sights and the target. I saw my eye guy and he measured the distance to the front sight. He then gave me a prescrip for contacts, but only the right eye is really the one with the different prescription. I was doing that for a while and while it did work a lot better I was getting tired of swapping in/out contacts jut for practice. I was going to go with a set of shooting glasses until my friend let me try his gun that has a red dot optic. That was it for me. So much easier using my regular glasses (safety glasses over them of course) and I can hit the damn bullseye now....well, usually :)  So I say try an inexpensive dot optic and see how that works for you. I don't care if someone says "you're cheating" because it's all about -my- enjoyment, not theirs, and if I ever need to shoot using irons it'll be for closer-in defense anyway than what I shoot at the range.

Well I order a set of ESS ICE  Interchangeable Component Eyeshield (ICEthey have a Rx Lens Insert that pop in the clear or shaded frames. Wont cost as much to get the prescription changed if they're wrong. Had the tech move up the reading portion so its more inline with my sight. Plus its getting two set of prescription glasses in one.One foe inside and one tinted for outside.

Here's the link-

http://www.rx-safety.com/brands/ess/prescription/ice-series/ess-ice-2x-2-black-frames-with-clear-and-smoke-gray-lenses-esrx-740-0003.html

These guys have done other glasses for me and their prices can't be beat!

All that said....Next step is the red dot optic! In fact I was gonna start a post asking if anyone is using them..So...consider it asked.for everyone but Splat that is...lol

Will do! 

Been doing my research and I think the Burris Fastfire III is the way to go. Although I'm also thinking about the Crimson Trace which is a little less obtrusive. Although more expensive, you don't need to turn it on. I'll think on it some...

I went with the Burris FF3 after much research. It's sturdy and given me no problems yet. I have it on my S&W 625PC. I like it and I'm thinking of getting one for my 1911. It may be cheaper in the long run to just get prescription eyeglasses but with the dot I shoot much better than when I had my contacts.

Been there, seen it, done it.  My solution was to go to an eye doctor who shoots.  He spent about an hour with me early one Saturday morning with my SIRT pistol (this NJ can't take a real gun to the eye doctor).  Anyway, what I had him do was optimize the lens for my right eye for the exact distance to my sights and optimize the left eye to about 15 yards.  It took a little while to get used to this, but now that I am adjusted to this setup it works great.

Great advice.

Some years ago, when I was active in competitive chess, my rating took a plunge. I didn't realize it but I was having trouble seeing the board. Luckily one of my regular opponents was also an optician. He asked for my reading and distance prescriptions and came up with "intermediate" lenses that solved my problem. You may need the same thing, an Rx that allows you to see the sights at arm's length, which is more important than seeing the target if I'm understanding the process correctly. 

Partly as a result of being able to see the board I hit an all-time-high expert rating withing 18 months, at age 56. 

Great advice.

Some years ago, when I was active in competitive chess, my rating took a plunge. I didn't realize it but I was having trouble seeing the board. Luckily one of my regular opponents was also an optician. He asked for my reading and distance prescriptions and came up with "intermediate" lenses that solved my problem. You may need the same thing, an Rx that allows you to see the sights at arm's length, which is more important than seeing the target if I'm understanding the process correctly.

Partly as a result of being able to see the board I hit an all-time-high expert rating withing 18 months, at age 56.

Damn....good stuff newtonian

Red dots are not a solution to aging eyes. They mask the problem but won't help you with depth perception, quick focus on different targets, differentiating targets from crap around them.

Get good shooting glasses with correct prescription, preferably something with digitally done lenses that work to the sides of the lenses. No, they are usually not cheap, but if you get them in the correct shade or transition type lenses you can wear them driving, doing the lawn, whatever. 

I have similar issues when shooting. I'm near sighted but, if I wear my glasses, I can't focus on the front sight (target looks great though), so I tend to shoot better with out my glasses when using iron sights. When I shoot Bullseye I use a red dot. With the dot I have to wear my glasses otherwise I see multiple dots. So for now I switch glasses depending on what I'm shooting.

I recently had to get a new pair of safety glasses at work and my company was nice enough to provide me with a pair that will double as my shooting glasses. They're Wiley-X Arrows with prescription safety lenses and progressive tint. They work great indoors and out.

IMG_20151221_173536313.jpg

They are supposedly "climate controlled" to prevent fogging. So far they've been pretty good.