SJG

2nd Cir Court of Appeals rules on NY and Conn Assault Weapons

Sweeney will enact a 3-4 round limit so your revolvers become illegal. However, he'll be packing, CCW, a Glock 19 with 15 rounds in case his life is threatened. After all, he's more important than the rest of NJ residents.

Naw, he'll just turn on the sprinklers and call the police.

Talk about reaching for the silver lining....

Not really. They knew they were going to lose. I mean they had to assume that right? Was anyone here surprised to see this ruling?

Ok, so they know they have to go to the Supreme Court. So they hope they get some wording in there that can help them out.

Well, the way I read the ruling was that both the plaintiff, defendant, and judge agreed that both magazines > 10 rounds and ar15s were in wide use by law abiding Americans all over the country.

The judge then agreed that heller said commonly used guns are not allowed to be banned. Heller did state that it was not their intention to show that you couldn't ban dangerous and unusual guns.

So the judge decided to use this by agreeing with the state that these were dangerous. But if the Supreme Court has balls, they'd throw this crap back in their face for that alone

Further justification was that the court said since handguns are the most commonly used form of firearm used for self defense, the state was ok to ban what I would assume would be the 2nd most commonly used firearm for self defense.

So in a way, there is plenty of wording in there that the Supreme Court, if they weren't being activist judges, or if the conspiracy theorists aren't right, would agree that the lower court was wrong.

It's about as good of a win you can get from the 2nd circuit on this case in my non lawyer opinion. But essentially thy just used lube before they stuck it in because the law stands for now.

Not really. They knew they were going to lose. I mean they had to assume that right? Was anyone here surprised to see this ruling?

Ok, so they know they have to go to the Supreme Court. So they hope they get some wording in there that can help them out.

Well, the way I read the ruling was that both the plaintiff, defendant, and judge agreed that both magazines > 10 rounds and ar15s were in wide use by law abiding Americans all over the country.

The judge then agreed that heller said commonly used guns are not allowed to be banned. Heller did state that it was not their intention to show that you couldn't ban dangerous and unusual guns.

So the judge decided to use this by agreeing with the state that these were dangerous. But if the Supreme Court has balls, they'd throw this crap back in their face for that alone

Further justification was that the court said since handguns are the most commonly used form of firearm used for self defense, the state was ok to ban what I would assume would be the 2nd most commonly used firearm for self defense.

So in a way, there is plenty of wording in there that the Supreme Court, if they weren't being activist judges, or if the conspiracy theorists aren't right, would agree that the lower court was wrong.

It's about as good of a win you can get from the 2nd circuit on this case in my non lawyer opinion. But essentially thy just used lube before they stuck it in because the law stands for now.

First, I'm not entirely convinced the supremes have the stomach for another 2A case. They've refused to hear a case or two in the recent past post Heller. I'm guessing they feel they've devoted enough time to the issue.

Second and more important even if they hear another 2A case, we would have to hope that ...Supreme Court has balls...if they weren't being activist judges, or if the conspiracy theorists aren't right, would agree that the lower court was wrong.

I Don't know, but that's a lot to hope for.

I'm not saying anything on the merits. But that hope is all any 2a proponent has when dealing with these courts. Based on heller and McDonald it doesn't really take a law agree to see that this is wrong. And if I had to be the Supreme Court won't hear it. But if you did think the Supreme Court would hear it then this isn't that bad.

But then again, I think every case is almost a no-brainer for the SC to fix.