medved11

M1a - Scout/Squad or SOCOM?

I'm considering picking up an M1a and I'm trying to decide between the Scout/Squad and the SOCOM 16 (not the SOCOM II).

Comparing them side by side, it looks like you get more for your money with the Scout/Squad; however, this is going to be more of a range toy for me, so I'm kind of drawn to the SOCOM 16. I've read that the larger front sight blade of the SOCOM makes shooting beyond 200 yards a bit problematic, but I don't realistically see myself using this past that mark

Can any of you guys that have either (or both) of these models give me some pros and cons of each model?

Buy an FAL ;)

But really... I would go with a wood M1A with the full length barrel.  It's not much longer than a Scout/Squad and it's not as obnoxious as the SOCOM 16.  

Do you want to deck it out with crazy setups?  Or keep it mostly stock?

I know people who own them but I don't know people who shoot them a lot. That should be a hint. 

I would suggest that if you really want a compact .308 semiauto look at the AR's and FALs out there. If you really want a M1A I would look at the full size ones, they are probably better rifles. 

I want to keep it mostly stock - at most I might get a red dot scope 

Buy an FAL ;)

But really... I would go with a wood M1A with the full length barrel.  It's not much longer than a Scout/Squad and it's not as obnoxious as the SOCOM 16.  

Do you want to deck it out with crazy setups?  Or keep it mostly stock?

Just curious - do you think that lack of use due to ammo cost or felt recoil (not an issue for me really - I'm not all that recoil sensitive)?

I know people who own them but I don't know people who shoot them a lot. That should be a hint. 

I would suggest that if you really want a compact .308 semiauto look at the AR's and FALs out there. If you really want a M1A I would look at the full size ones, they are probably better rifles. 

I dunno, I didn't ask them, but my guess is because they are not very good guns. What I mean is that they are not particularly accurate, and they are not particularly ergonomic. We live in a world where you can buy 1moa .308 semi auto guns for less money and which are more ergonomic. Personally I think the M1A platform is overrated and it doesn't really have a place anymore, but that is me. I do agree that the M1A is one the most beautiful 308 rifles, and from that point of view I lust over them, specially the long barreled wood stocked versions. 

If you just like them, and you have reasonable expectations about their accuracy, I don't think there is anything wrong with them, they are just not my thing. I would go with the 18" barrel version between the two. 

I shot Lunker's M1A Scout Squad - was ringing brass with irons @ 200 with my blind self.  It's accurate enough.  But honestly for the price, you could get something else in .308 and be just as accurate or more...  I still love the look of the SOC16 though...

The socom 16 handles nicely ignoring the M1A manual of arms. In terms of recoil, trigger, muzzle rise, for a .308 it is nice. I wouldn't buy either unless it was a serious deal though. The tilting mag insert and the garand thumb operating procedure combined with the price is just not worth it IMO. 

I have the full length wood loaded model, and I love it. Recoil isn't that bad at all. I got mine for a decent price, and shoot it all the time. But to each his own. If you're looking for something compact in .308 I'd do what Vlad said and look at an AR or FAL

Scout for me as well. I also don't shoot it that much but that's not for any particular reason. I find it to be extreamly accurate and durable. I just personally enjoy the M14 platform, looks and history. If you like the gun and you have the mula to burn, go for it. There definitely very fun to shoot. If your looking for something more "modern day effective" per say then look elsewhere.

I've looked at the more modern .308 rifles like the AR-10, but I'm thinking that I want to try something a little more "traditional" semi-automatic and less "tactical" this time around. I'm not being critical of the tactical guns, but I'm looking for something "different" in .308 besides a bolt gun or an AR style rifle; this is what lead me to the M1a. 

At this point, I've got my finger hovering over the "buy" button for a Scout/Squad in walnut; however, I'm not going to hit the button until I do just a little more research, so let me know if you guys can suggest any other "traditional" semi-auto .308 options that I should check out before I make my final choice.

I have the socom 16 and loaded m1a with trigger work and hooded rear sight. I always thought the socom looked bad ass and a good idea for the m1a platform. The socom friggin hurts to shoot after a while and my m1a i can probably shoot all day. 300yd targets with my m1a is no problem.