DevsAdvocate

Selling on Gunbroker, Armslist, FB, etc.

If I sell rifles/pistols/shotguns on GB, AL, or FB, can I send the guns directly to the FFL?  Or do I have to go through an FFL first?  Which is more advantageous?  As I understand it, FFLs might be able to ship cheaper using USPS, right?

Thanks!

On the one armslist transaction I've done (AR upper), I paid via paypal (regular transaction, not paypal personal) funded through credit card. I included the model # of the item on the payment, without actually indicating what the item was. I did some background searching on the person to try and get an idea that he was who he said he was. I was also hoping that the credit card company would protect me in case something went wrong. In reality, I had no idea if I was really protected or not but fortunately the transaction went smoothly.

** WHAT FOLLOWS ASSUMES THIS IS INTERSTATE SALES AND ALL LOCAL, STATE AND FEDERAL LAWS ARE BEING FOLLOWED **

My .02.  PK 90 has it correct.  It does all depend on the receiving FFL, will they accept from a non FFL on your DL for their books.

Personally I always send via FFL, it is just far easier IMO, but you do incur a transfer fee.

When selling the ONLY payment you should accept is USPS MO.  That is it........  Also I would NEVER ship until such funds clear.

When buying the ONLY payment you should use is USPS MO and/or CC if dealing with a shop.  You have a bit more leverage with a personal transaction via USPS MO than check or heaven forbid cash.

This is all for online sales.....

You are pretty much good to go with GB, AL and FB not so much..........but understand that GB does not have any leverage for the transaction itself if things go awry, best they can do is suspend the offending user.

When dealing with online sales, pretty much caveat emptor.  If it looks to good to be true it usually is.  If you are very concerned use an escrow service such as the following:

https://paysafeescrow.com/personal-escrow/?p=gbllc

That all being said, in all my years trading, selling buying to enhance my collection.  I have always gone through an FFL for the transfer out, for me it is easier as said earlier.  *BUT* I only have had a singular bad experience with one transaction that was able to be rectified and it was all via a forum.  I have found in the past that 99% of the folks you will deal with are straight up, since Armslist and FB I think that number has gone way down.

YMMV.

Thanks!  Great advice! 

The only time I've done an interstate sale, it was to California to an FFL there.  I got paid check and had to wait till that cleared, but it worked out in the end.

On the one armslist transaction I've done (AR upper), I paid via paypal (regular transaction, not paypal personal) funded through credit card. I included the model # of the item on the payment, without actually indicating what the item was. I did some background searching on the person to try and get an idea that he was who he said he was. I was also hoping that the credit card company would protect me in case something went wrong. In reality, I had no idea if I was really protected or not but fortunately the transaction went smoothly.

Good thing is paypal offers buyer protection on top of your credit card .... that definitely was a good idea .....

On the topic of payment, it should be noted that failing to pay for a firearm that is in your possession, I.E. Someone scams you somehow out of funds, is technically a federal crime- they stole a firearm, so reguardless of payment type, you always have the ability to report it stolen, and provide the buyers info.

It is not wise for anyone to fail to pay for a firearm. And contact with the buyers FFL should allow you the ability to keep them from obtaining the product. No FFL will transfer a firearm to anyone if they know that person to be delinquent in payment. It adds them as an accessory. I tend to use an FFL on my end as they will have to take the item into their books, in order to ship it, essentially transferring out of my name, this extra level of protection from the issue below is what I feel most comfortable with. Technically, if the receiving FFL is ok with direct transfers to them, you can bypass this step, but read below.

For the few times I have interacted on these web sites as a seller, I worry more about the shipping being lost then I do about not getting paid. My hiney was in a new state of pucker when ups lost a pistol for about 12 days.... Not a fun 2 weeks!

On the topic of payment, it should be noted that failing to pay for a firearm that is in your possession, I.E. Someone scams you somehow out of funds, is technically a federal crime- they stole a firearm, so reguardless of payment type, you always have the ability to report it stolen, and provide the buyers info.

It is not wise for anyone to fail to pay for a firearm. And contact with the buyers FFL should allow you the ability to keep them from obtaining the product. No FFL will transfer a firearm to anyone if they know that person to be delinquent in payment. It adds them as an accessory. I tend to use an FFL on my end as they will have to take the item into their books, in order to ship it, essentially transferring out of my name, this extra level of protection from the issue below is what I feel most comfortable with. Technically, if the receiving FFL is ok with direct transfers to them, you can bypass this step, but read below.

For the few times I have interacted on these web sites as a seller, I worry more about the shipping being lost then I do about not getting paid. My hiney was in a new state of pucker when ups lost a pistol for about 12 days.... Not a fun 2 weeks!

Thank God they found it

When buying the ONLY payment you should use is USPS MO and/or CC if dealing with a shop.  You have a bit more leverage with a personal transaction via USPS MO than check or heaven forbid cash.

A certified bank check from the buyer's bank account is as good as cash