Blackjack988

Commuting to NYC from PA

You guys are a bunch of wimps, i drive from Manalapan to Paramus each and every day, 1.5 hours each way with light traffic, 2+ hours with heavy traffic, been doing it for over 11 years. You get used to it.

Sent from my LG-G4 using Tapatalk

You're not crossing the bridges/tunnels into NYC.  That makes it a whole other thing entirely.

You're not crossing the bridges/tunnels into NYC.  That makes it a whole other thing entirely.

Try 20 miles on route 9 with lights then 40 mile on the parkway, bumper to bumper.  You're right, not as bad as tunnels and bridges but 1.5 hrs is 1.5 hrs, no matter the route, and i'm driving the entire time, no mass transit.  But that's not the point I was trying to make.  What I was trying to say is that sometimes it's worth it to waste 3 hours a day in commute to get a higher salary, cheaper housing cost, better schools, etc...

I lived 3 miles from work for 26 years. I could wake up, shower and dress, then drive to work and punch in within 15 minutes. Then I walked the 50 feet to work for 3 years. I could not imagine wasting all that time and money traveling long distances. MOVE to where you work.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Try traveling north bound on the parkway between exits 138 and 150 in the morning and you won't be able to tell the difference from any of the tunnels.  But now you're just splitting hairs.  My shortest time ever, on a Saturday morning, average 80mph on the parkway took 1:15 because the 20 miles on route 9 was all lights.  20 miles with lights vs 1.5 miles in the Lincoln tunnel, you tell me which is worse.

I cannot put this any simpler, find a job where you want to live, not live where you work.  In the end, the stress will affect you in ways you cannot believe.  Putting work first IMO is the wrong answer.  Life will be so much nicer when you live someplace that makes you feel good to be alive.  Money is not the answer.

I lived 3 miles from work for 26 years. I could wake up, shower and dress, then drive to work and punch in within 15 minutes. Then I walked the 50 feet to work for 3 years. I could not imagine wasting all that time and money traveling long distances. MOVE to where you work.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

+1

Back when I had a 1 hour commute into the city, I was ready to gouge out my eyes after only 4 years. Everyone's tolerance is different.

What Mipa says about staying single is dead on. Where's your expected dating pool, anyway? City women won't even follow you to Hoboken, let alone PA. Good luck.

If you factor in the following:

Transportation costs -  NJ Transit, Parkway/Turnpike Tolls, Parking, Gas

Income Taxes

Property Taxes

Hidden costs of spending 3-4 hours commuting on your butt not with your family, nor sleeping, exercising, enjoying life

I wonder how many people are truly better off versus living somewhere like PA, SC, or North Florida or just closer to work.

I think the NJ Rat Race is a bit of a fallacy.

I was doing it and stopped and life is 10x better.

I just switched jobs from one in NYC to one in NJ... I'm making more money in NJ, 20 minute commute.  I actually have more of a work/life balance.

Krdshrk:

Congratulations!  I am most envious of a 20 minute commute each way, which really does give you back more time for yourself to do as you please.

I continue to have an approx. 1hr. 15 min. to 1hr. 30 minute commute each way from my home in NJ to my office in Manhattan, the exact time is dependent on traffic congestion, accidents in either direction and bad weather, etc.   Yeah, I am one of those knuckleheads who drives my car for my commute, primarily because my company subsidizes me to do so.  So while the $cost is not as great as it would be without the financial assistance, the almost 3 hours per day of commuting does takes its toll mentally and physically on anyone.  Like many of the posters in this thread have already done, I look forward to eventually no longer having such a long commute and having the choice to either drive, bike or walk to my destination.

I truly believe that these horrendously long commutes tend to prematurely age anyone who does it, plus adds to the daily stress by having to address aggravating actions on the highways and on city streets by other discourteous, belligerent or aggressive drivers, oblivious pedestrians, daredevil bicyclists and bored PANYNJ police officers looking for a reason to stop and ticket drivers.  I never cease to be amazed at how some drivers fail to understand and/or accept the concept of alternating when merging from multiple lanes down to 1 or 2 at various choke points, i.e. the entrance to the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel.  Of course the worse and scariest scenarios involve having to deal with other drivers who are distracted due to their idiotic multitasking of driving and texting/emailing or reading whatever on their smart phones while driving.  It is a problem that seems to only be getting worse.

So enjoy your short and hopefully safer 20 minute commute to your workplace....

AVB-AMG

I did it for 2 years, and it was the worst of my career.  My office was located in Jersey City but I needed to be in Downtown twice a week.  Drive 78 to just outside the Holland Tunnel, park in the Newport Mall garage.  Walk to my office.  Then hit the PATH station to 33rd street, hop on the B,D,F,N Subway up to 44th I think.  I needed to leave home at 5:30 am just to not get crushed in Traffic, would get to my desk by 7:00.  Then another hour to get into the city depending on how packed the PATH was.  The ride home was similar - 1 1/2 - 2 hours if I was in the city, about an hour from JC.  Was a 13-14 hour day with the commute.  You couldn't pay me enough to ever do that again.

If you catch an express from Trenton to NY Penn it's about an hour, but you'd need to get to Trenton from PA. That's probably your quickest option. The other 2 are coming across the Delaware Water Gap, or driving through Matamoras, PA to Port Jervis, NY to take a 2-2.5hr ride on a train to NY Penn. Station.

You need to remember that you can't bring your rights from PA with you, so if you're spending a lot of time commuting you need to accept that you're enjoying those rights on the weekends.

I cannot put this any simpler, find a job where you want to live, not live where you work.  In the end, the stress will affect you in ways you cannot believe.  Putting work first IMO is the wrong answer.  Life will be so much nicer when you live someplace that makes you feel good to be alive.  Money is not the answer.

T Bill:

I think this is the dilemma faced by many people today.  The argument and choice is between:  Does one take a job in NYC where the salaries are usually, but not always, much higher than most other locations and make the sacrifice of the longer and more arduous commute OR find comparable work in your chosen field in a location closer to your home, resulting in a shorter daily commute, but where the salary/income would be significantly less.  For many people, doing the type of work they enjoy and want to do may primarily be located someplace (i.e. NYC) very specific which requires choosing to either pay the expensive cost of living there or a more affordable location in a suburb farther away.  For many professionals, the type of work they want to do really can only be found in a major urban center.

While money may not be the answer for many people, a higher income does help support a lifestyle and living costs for most families that are only increasing on an annual basis.  Those of us in NJ know how expensive it is to live here, starting with the real estate taxes, but that cost pales in comparison to what living costs, primarily housing (renting or purchasing), currently is now in Manhattan, which is ridiculous, with Brooklyn not far behind.

We all must weigh the commute time vs. income options and decide what our priorities are and then decide if the time, length and stress of the commute is really worth it and if so, for how long.  Many people say they can and will do it for 5, 10, 15 or 20 years and then either move elsewhere or retire.  But if one's health is degraded due partially to the long commute then one should ask themselves is it really worth it....   Not a simple or easy choice, even if we all recognize the clear advantages of a shorter commute....  

Just my 2 cents...

AVB-AMG