My1stGlock

Freedom Munitions and their reloads.........

So like everyone else I'm looking at ways to shave cost on ammo. I am not interested in reloading yet but i guess purchasing reloads/re-manufactured is an option. Just for plinking/range time. Any one have had experience with their re-manufactured ammo good or bad? Also if other vendors out there to consider please shed some light here. Thanks in advance.

George

I've never used their ammo, alot of guys have had good success. 

Others, I think it was Howard , has a thread somehwere where he had a squib or a double charge using Freedom's ammo. IIRC they made good on the damage though.

I also think they use cheaper components - Cheap russian primers and cheaper powder , which will be dirty and smokey.

I think your results may vary though.

I think another option , that would yield better and cheaper results would be to find a buddy who reloads - Buy the components ( Powder, primers, bullet heads ) and drop them off with a 12 pack of beer or something.

I have shot a number of 9mm and .223 reloads from Freedom and have not had a single issue with them to date... oh, i also used some 38 with no issue, but that sample size is pretty small, like maybe 20 rounds.  There will always be a few people here and there that have issues (as alec pointed out, one of our members had an issue with their .45 once, but they took care of the issue) but the vast majority of people who have used it have not had any real issues.    I have used their New stock, their remanufactured, and also their Blaster line (same as reman, just not as pretty cases - they are obviously not tumbled as much)

I have used the following reloaded ammo:

Freedom Munitions

Georgia Arms

High Country Ammo (now "Western Ammo")

I did not have an issue with any of them.  Others have used LAX ammo, MBI (Military Ballistics), Ugly Ammo (Selway Armory) without too much issue.  There are a shit ton of reloaded ammo manufacturers out there..  Some are clearly better than others.  I would say Freedom is probably near the top of that list. 

All the above said.... It depends on what caliber you are talking about.  If its 9mm, then the price of factory ammo has dropped so that you can find $10/box pretty regularly these days.  If its larger calibers, well, reloads may be a bit more economical. 

Just my 2¢..  Im sure others will chime in...

My wife and I have been shooting FM reloads almost exclusively for the last three years in 9, 40, 45, 38 and 357.

No functional issues to speak of. We're satisfied. Perhaps a little smokier than some others, but not objectionable.

Curiously, at this moment, the Blazer factory calibers' delivered prices have been within a few cents of FM rounds. Not better, but very close.

I would never, ever reload for anyone outside of my household. Too much liability.

What caliber are you looking into? If it's 9mm you won't save much since prices are low now. Also, they use plated bullets FWIW.

I've also used Freedom for 2 or 3 years now.  Three or four thousand rounds of 9mm and 500 or so of 38 reman and new with no issues at all.  Get on their mailing list, they just ended free shipping for orders over $99 but they run 5% discounts for a different caliber pretty much every day and free or $5 shipping will come around again.  They have a brass credit program too that a few guys use.

I use Freedom for 9 and 45 for quite some time now of reman. I have not had one issue over a few thousand rounds. I do not find it dirty or smokey at all. I always wait for the free shipping deals. It cycles through no problem with my M&P on open minor for uspsa, and I do not bother grabbing my brass during a match.

I had a 500(?) rd batch of 9 a few yrs ago that produced 4/5 squibs. Took me a long time to finish that box, one slow rd at a time. However i also shoot a lot of their other calibers including 9 with no other issues before or since the duds. But these days typical factory name brand ammo is only a dollar or two more per box, some decent deals out there.

A lot of people haven't had any issues. 

However:

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/2ystx5/freedom_munitions_9mm_115gr_remanufactured_recall/

http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/2wqb67/bad_freedom_munitions/

http://www.reddit.com/r/CCW/comments/2xah61/has_anyone_had_good_or_bad_luck_using_freedom/

Personally I've had issues with underpowered ammo from Freedom Munitions' predecessor (USA Ammo), as did another forum member (keyholing issues - again with USAAmmo).  FM apparently purchased the reloading equipment from USAAmmo when they closed down... That being said, factory ammo isn't that much more expensive and I personally go that route for piece of mind.

Others, I think it was Howard , has a thread somehwere where he had a squib or a double charge using Freedom's ammo. IIRC they made good on the damage though.

I also think they use cheaper components - Cheap russian primers and cheaper powder , which will be dirty and smokey.

I think another option , that would yield better and cheaper results would be to find a buddy who reloads - Buy the components ( Powder, primers, bullet heads ) and drop them off with a 12 pack of beer or something.

Just as long as they're not reloading 10 beers in lol

A lot of people haven't had any issues. 

However:

Personally I've had issues with underpowered ammo from Freedom Munitions' predecessor (USA Ammo), as did another forum member (keyholing issues - again with USAAmmo).  FM apparently purchased the reloading equipment from USAAmmo when they closed down... That being said, factory ammo isn't that much more expensive and I personally go that route for piece of mind.

Yep...that was me...aiming for the Q at 7 yards...turned the whole case(ant lot) I got all had undersized bullets, came out of the barrel tumbling...this was a few years ago, im hoping they tightened up their QC since lol.

IMAG0296.jpg

Curiously, at this moment, the Blazer factory calibers' delivered prices have been within a few cents of FM rounds. Not better, but very close.

I don't know what FM charges, but I have seen 9mm for just a little over $200 per case of 1000 (less if you are willing to use steel cased ammo), and .223 for around $300 on a regular basis, sometimes a little less.  

Today's price @ FM is $189.39 for a case 9mm 115 gr reman.  If you want new from them it goes to $209.65.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-115-gr-RN-p/fm9r115r-c1000.htm

With shipping, that comes to $211.35

Meanwhile:

$189.80 for 115gr CCI Blazer Brass + $16 shipping comes to $205.80 shipped for new factory ammo.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/cci/1000-round-case-9mm-luger-cci-blazer-brass-115-grain-fmj-ammo-5200

I've used their .45acp reloads successfully but I had problems with their .357 reloads.  Wouldn't chamber correctly in my GP100.  They made it right once I returned them but it was a hassle.  Haven't used them since.

With shipping, that comes to $211.35

That's why I always wait for FM free-ship or $5-ship events, like the one they just had for Halloween. That one is arriving today.

.45 ACP 230gr RN reman for 27 cents a round, delivered.

The 9mm would have been 19 cents.

P.S. Before any large buy, I always double check ammoseek.com and a few selected sites. Sometimes I'm surprised.

Well I shoot their 9mm 147 grain new ammo all the time with no problems.  I cannot comment on what Alec said as I may or may not have had a problem with reman and may or may not have signed an agreement to not discuss such things.  But I believe there is a thread here about a problem that might have occurred before I did or did not agree to not discuss such things.

While you may find cheaper 115 or 124 grain, I have yet to find anyone beat their prices on good quality 147 gr.  There was a post here recently about some cheap 147 it turned out to be super hot ammo coming in with a power factor of around 144.  When I have chrono'd the 147 it always comes in between 128 and 131, and is usually very consistent box to box.

As others have said wait till the have free or $5 shipping and stock up.  The ammo fairy just brought me 2,000 with free shipping today.

And let him know the beer is for after he's done loading your ammo.  :)