Sign in to follow this  
Newtonian

Another list for "Best states for concealed carry"

http://bit.ly/1laF9ZS

Article goes through the states plus DC. Only one quibble, namely putting California below NJ. IMO DC, Hawaii, New Jersey, and Maryland are the worst in that order.

Next come the shall/may issue states of California, NY, and MA in that order. Factoid: At just under 5%, Massachusets has a higher percentage of adults with CC licenses than Colorado and a bunch of other states. check out http://bit.ly/1laGe3S. 

Next are Delaware and Connecticut, may issue de jure but shall issue de facto.

For a NJ resident the differences among the remaining states, all shall-issue, are negligible. Constitutional carry is wonderful but Vermonters have difficulty in most other places because the state does not issue permits at all. So basically the differences are high vs. low fees, zero to extensive training, and number/type of gun-free zones.

I would gladly trade our laws for anywhere else's except for DC, MD, and HI.

Complete nonsense.I'll take PA for example:

#15: PENNSYLVANIA. Among the most concealed-carry friendly states in the Northeast, reciprocity keeps the Keystone State just out the Top 10.
LOL, how about 10 times better than 10 of your top 15 that have almost everywhere off limits for carry and people can put up no carry signs and make you a criminal. Florida is #5? They should be #25. You can't carry anywhere there. Texas beats PA? There is no single measure in which either state beats PA. Absolutely ridiculous.Do you know how you get broad reciprocity? By making your citizens jump through a dozen hoops, spend lots of money, and walk on eggshells to get and keep their right to keep and bear arms. Reciprocity should count against a state because it is a symptom of a problem.

I've said the same thing every time someone talks about "loose" gun laws in TX. No open carry? Legally binding 30-06 signs? Can't be in an establishment that makes 51% or more of its revenue from alcohol (excuse me, shopkeep, may I see your balance sheets)?

Texas has a stigma, that's all. It seems even these gun writers fall victim to it.

Complete nonsense. I'll take PA for example:

LOL, how about 10 times better than 10 of your top 15 that have almost everywhere off limits for carry and people can put up no carry signs and make you a criminal. Florida is #5? They should be #25. You can't carry anywhere there. Texas beats PA? There is no single measure in which either state beats PA. Absolutely ridiculous. Do you know how you get broad reciprocity? By making your citizens jump through a dozen hoops, spend lots of money, and walk on eggshells to get and keep their right to keep and bear arms. Reciprocity should count against a state because it is a symptom of a problem.

These reporters always screw up details large and small. From your perspective you take issue with your 80% free state ranked below a 60% free state. As a NJ resident I flip when they lump NJ in with CT, MA, NY, and CA, i.e. a 10% free state with a 45% free state.

"New Jersey has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation." No, with DC it has the harshest gun laws in the nation.

What do you mean by your statement on reciprocity? Doesn't more recip mean higher commitment to freedom? You seem to imply the opposite.

I don't see the love of wanting to carry open. I prefer concealed. This is no longer the wild west where open carry is 100% normal.

There is no need to make yourself a target in any means of the word. I'd prefer element of surprise and keep hysteria to a gentle roar. Cause no matter where you are, there are people that will stop, stare, point fingers, cry and everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Complete nonsense.I'll take PA for example:LOL, how about 10 times better than 10 of your top 15 that have almost everywhere off limits for carry and people can put up no carry signs and make you a criminal. Florida is #5? They should be #25. You can't carry anywhere there. Texas beats PA? There is no single measure in which either state beats PA. Absolutely ridiculous.Do you know how you get broad reciprocity? By making your citizens jump through a dozen hoops, spend lots of money, and walk on eggshells to get and keep their right to keep and bear arms. Reciprocity should count against a state because it is a symptom of a problem.

I can't carry anywhere in Fl? You're an idiot!!

I don't see the love of wanting to carry open. I prefer concealed. This is no longer the wild west where open carry is 100% normal.

There is no need to make yourself a target in any means of the word. I'd prefer element of surprise and keep hysteria to a gentle roar. Cause no matter where you are, there are people that will stop, stare, point fingers, cry and everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said brother !

I can't carry anywhere in Fl? You're an idiot!!

Places Off-Limits Even With a Permit/License

790.06 (12) License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm

 Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05

Legal in PA

 any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;

Legal in PA

 any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;

Courts are required to provide gun lockers in PA

 any polling place;

Is this for real? The only people that can't carry at the polls in PA are Cops and Military

 any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;

Legal in PA. WTF is up with that?

 any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;

Legal in PA. WTF is up with that? Are they special or something?

 any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;

Legal in PA, although K-12 buildings are a special subject. It's illegal to carry as a college student? Are you fucking kidding me?

 any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;

Legal in PA. WTF is up with that?

 any elementary or secondary school facility;

 any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or non-lethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; (See Note in Parking Lot Storage Section)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

 inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft;

Legal in PA. (except the federal restricted areas beyond the security screenings)

So, I'm an idiot? OK, pal.

And that's just carry.

What do you mean by your statement on reciprocity? Doesn't more recip mean higher commitment to freedom? You seem to imply the opposite.

I already said it. To get more states to enter into reciprocity, you need to make it as hard as possible for your citizens to get a carry permit. Reciprocity is based on another state's laws meeting the minimum requirements or your state's laws. If you want a lot of reciprocity, you don't have somebody fill out a one-page form, hand over $20 for 5 years, get NO fingerprints, have NO training, NO repeated background checks every 24 hours/365 days a year, NO requirement to contact references, NO headshrinker evaluation, and walk out in 15 minutes with your permit (in many counties they do make you wait a few weeks but in many counties it's on the spot.)

You don't do it like PA.

I already said it. To get more states to enter into reciprocity, you need to make it as hard as possible for your citizens to get a carry permit. Reciprocity is based on another state's laws meeting the minimum requirements or your state's laws. If you want a lot of reciprocity, you don't have somebody fill out a one-page form, hand over $20 for 5 years, get NO fingerprints, have NO training, NO repeated background checks every 24 hours/365 days a year, NO requirement to contact references, NO headshrinker evaluation, and walk out in 15 minutes with your permit (in many counties they do make you wait a few weeks but in many counties it's on the spot.)

You don't do it like PA.

15 Minutes? That's a little long in my experience.

You don't do it like PA.

The correlation between ball busting and reciprocity is not a straight line. It looks more like one of my handgun targets at 25 yards :)

In other words all over the place. Vermont has no requirements whatsoever but only a handful of states recognize a VT driver's license. Utah has a 5-6 hour class but gives you 30+ states. Unconstitutional, illegal perhaps, but given the current climate not bad. NJ is the hardest of all but is only recognized by 23 states, and recognizes zero. 

A wobbly line perhaps. 

Some day when I have a morning to kill I will plot the WaTimes list rank vs. # of states' permits recognized. Imperfect "study" but it might shed some light on your claim.

You may be right, I may be crazy.

Last time I checked PA was up to around 30 states as well.

Because around 30 states are not shitholes that make their citizens jump through hoops to carry a gun. Texas being one of those shitholes.

Heck, around 15 states (?) honor Jersey's permit, even though Jersey honors none.

You don't do it like PA.

Was their criteria reciprocity in other states or reciprocity in your state? For example, recently you would have to agree Pa took a step backwards in what they accept as recitpocity. If another state doesn't accept Pa, that should go against them, no Pa in this study

Was their criteria reciprocity in other states or reciprocity in your state? For example, recently you would have to agree Pa took a step backwards in what they accept as recitpocity. If another state doesn't accept Pa, that should go against them, no Pa in this study

I don't know for sure on this article, but generally these dumb lists consider reciprocity to mean other states you can carry. Would you be happy if Jersey accepted 50 states but no other state honored your permit? I guess that would make jersey a great state to live for concealed carry.

As for a step backwards, PA has never had more reciprocity than it has now. So, I can't agree with a false statement, even if you say I have to :)

In all honesty, there are a dozen states that shouldn't recognize a PA LTCF based on their standards. But they do anyway. Not that I am complaining :)

What I am saying is that if you are basing reciprocity as a criteria to judge, the only fair criteria would be what does your state recognize. South Carolina not recognizing Georgia is a SC issue, not a Georgia issue.

If jersey accepted all 50 states that should be a good thing as far as this list goes.

Let's be honest though. PA totally fucked over NJ residents. Starting when we couldn't get an out of state carry permit and finishing when your criminal AG killed all reciprocity for non residents. So PA should be real low on the list just because of that.

Let's be honest though. PA totally fucked over NJ residents. Starting when we couldn't get an out of state carry permit and finishing when your criminal AG killed all reciprocity for non residents. So PA should be real low on the list just because of that.

NJ residents exploiting a loopole.

We weren't exploiting a loophole. PA used to give non resident permits to people from NJ. Then they used to honor all Florida and Utah permits. Then they didn't.

Not saying it's right, but a number of states don't honor non-resident permits. FL, CO, SC, NH, just to name a few. Sucks, but it's not just PA

Yes, PA fucked over Jersey. I believe it was intentional and probably conspiratorial. I figured you guys were used to that. I don't like it. I've talked to my reps and Senator about it. I've asked you guys to come talk to them and promised I would bring their PA constituents to back you up. Only two people here agreed. Both were no-shows. We have a laundry list of gun laws to pass, this is low on the list. I'm certainly not working on it any longer. None of you seem to care, only bitch.

We weren't exploiting a loophole. PA used to give non resident permits to people from NJ. Then they used to honor all Florida and Utah permits. Then they didn't.

It's a loopole. NJ residents who have a NJ carry permit can still get a PA non resident LTCF, no problems... Reciprocity is still valid for Utah and Florida residents. So it's really NJ's fault not PA's.

Complete nonsense. I'll take PA for example:

LOL, how about 10 times better than 10 of your top 15 that have almost everywhere off limits for carry and people can put up no carry signs and make you a criminal. Florida is #5? They should be #25. You can't carry anywhere there. Texas beats PA? There is no single measure in which either state beats PA. Absolutely ridiculous. Do you know how you get broad reciprocity? By making your citizens jump through a dozen hoops, spend lots of money, and walk on eggshells to get and keep their right to keep and bear arms. Reciprocity should count against a state because it is a symptom of a problem.

virginia is #10, soundly beating texas and pa.  suck it, pa doesnt impress me.

I propose a new rule on this forum. The next mother******that complains about PA reciprocity has to show a record of having done something about it.

*drops mic*

F off. Losers. Time to face facts.

You can lead a horse to water but if the horse is from New Jersey it will break the rein at the border and die of thirst. I couldn't force you guys at gunpoint to save your own asses.