Xchange1980

Denied by NICS how so??

You said you changed your address so maybe they just didn't have your updated information? I don't know if they even hold that type of info, but If the address you wrote down on the NICS app didn't match what they had maybe that could be a reason for denial. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck

So after them screwing up my address and getting the letter back and never calling me. A month after i first sent the request I finally get this bullshit back. Let me make this clear I have NEVER been involuntarily commited to a mental institution nor voluntary. I'm pissed to say the least.Mind you this is literally right after I changed my address on my FID and got 2 more permits

post-5202-0-15174000-1449531733_thumb.jpg

Obviously a clerical mistake. Someone with the same name probably.  My dad (deceased 20 years) had the same first and last name, middle is different but same starting initial.  We lived at the same address, then next door to each other.  I cannot tell you how many times I have been denied and the clerk at the LGS tells me the NICS person on the phone is telling him I am deceased.  It was funny the first few times, but after repeated requests for correction the problem continues. I have to use my SSN to get approval, 

I guess the letter tells you what to do.  Good Luck.  Check with the issuing PD, they get the same information but did not have a problem issuing you paperwork, did they?

Its quite possible that this info was entered due to "CCATS" .   They are just data mining all info from everywhere and entering it without any due process.    Then it is up to you to prove yourself innocent.       probably someone with the same name but what do they care,  just enter all John Does and let god sort em' out.

That sucks, I guess you'll have to convince the State you are mentally stable or prove you they have the wrong person.

I hate to say it but this is going to get expensive, I would start by calling them and seeing if they have you confused with someone else (might be best to visit in person w/ a copy of the letter). If that doesn't yield results you might need to consult with a licensed psychiatrist in NJ and undergo a quick evaluation and have them sign off that you are not a danger to yourself/others. If that fails you will need to hire an attorney (better yet, retain one now just in case).

When you begin this process I highly recommend you audio record any phone conversations, obtain all contact info from who you talked to including state e-mail account, IMMEDIATELY after any phone call send an e-mail to that person thanking them for your phone call ( I know government workers and how easily they forget).   record any in person contacts with your phone, save these to a drive as I can guarantee that you will probably need them( just like a dash cam in an accident).  And of course you will need an attorney and make to ask about recovering your legal expenses. This is no joke as NICS will follow you across the country.  

Everyone should be aware of CCATS as ANYONE can and probably will find themselves on the "list" and will have to go through this,  It might even be considered the "new norm" for gun owners in NJ.

Its quite possible that this info was entered due to "CCATS" .   They are just data mining all info from everywhere and entering it without any due process.    Then it is up to you to prove yourself innocent.       probably someone with the same name but what do they care,  just enter all John Does and let god sort em' out.

CAre to elaborate on CCATS,  because google isn't helping me. Too many uses of the acronym and none of them look pertinent to a middlesex county mental health hit. 

Of course as soon as I post that, I finally dig it up. 

Civil Commitment Automated Tracking System it's a NJ acronym for them submitting everything and the kitchen sink in the pile of shitty dta labeled "mental health system" to NICS. 

Well I got amazing news today guys. I called the number the State Police provided to inquire about this so called record of involuntary commitment and I called on 12/8 and gave them all the info they needed and said they will investigate it and call me within 10-12 days. Well i got the call today and they woman told me that Middlesex County Adjusters office had erroneously entered information and she told me everything was fixed and removed and I should have no more issues and they will also be sending me a letter confirming the removal of the record. I am so releived this was sorted out in a fairly short amount of time and I didnt have to hire a lawyer

Well I got amazing news today guys. I called the number the State Police provided to inquire about this so called record of involuntary commitment and I called on 12/8 and gave them all the info they needed and said they will investigate it and call me within 10-12 days. Well i got the call today and they woman told me that Middlesex County Adjusters office had erroneously entered information and she told me everything was fixed and removed and I should have no more issues and they will also be sending me a letter confirming the removal of the record. I am so releived this was sorted out in a fairly short amount of time and I didnt have to hire a lawyer

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you, make sure you keep that letter.

Great news especially about not having to hire an attorney.