1967 Tempest

Hello from Sparta

Evening! Been shooting for while, but brand new to the forum! Just looking for a place to talk shop.

I guess my home range is RTSP. I am looking for a outdoor range that is close.

Glad to be aboard!!!

You are really close to the state association's cherry ridge range. Outdoor ranges to 300 yards.

I looked at Cherry Ridge.  The first Sunday of the month is tough sometimes for me to go and get the course needed to join.

The orientation is about 90 minutes long depending on how early you get there. Very pleasant drive as well. You go down ridge rd., make a left at the end onto Berkshire Valley Rd., and take the first left (reservoir rd.) to 23. North a short distance to Cannistear Rd. Should take you about 20-25 miinutes. That's the way I go but I have to get to Sparta from Newton first, so it takes me 35-40 minutes. You can also take 517 to Rte 23, then go south to Cannistear. That might be even shorter depending on where you live in Sparta.

CR is too restrictive for some folks, for example you can transport guns to the range in a holster (as I do) but no drawing from a holster. And they've only recently installed steel targets. 

But for me it's perfect. Beautiful setting, two-three rifle ranges, shotgun, archery, a .22 caliber and below range, and of course handgun. First year costs $50 extra. 

RTSP is a very nice facility, and you can shoot there when it's pouring rain outside. But for the dues you pay at CR you can only shoot 8-10 hours per year at most NJ indoor ranges. I used to shoot that much in a month at CR, and will resume that schedule shortly. Also much less noise at an outdoor range.

I like RTSP for Handgun but for rifle and shotgun it seems restricted.  Not the people and facilities, just the range at which you can shoot. I have " Close enough for government work" sighted my AR in but need an outdoor range with some distance to really sight it in.  Plus my red dot became loose so if I am starting over again it might as well be outside.

anyone been to Stir and SHoot?

Stir and Shoot was recently opened to the public. I haven't been there yet but my Dad has had rave reviews. It was originally LE only I believe. I plan on taking classes there, IDK about membership to shoot regularly though.

It's by the Sussex County Library and the Juvenile Detention Center.

Here's link on google maps. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/STIR+AND+SHOOT,+LLC/@41.1272706,-74.7619434,634m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c36f47b3eb0077:0x112c9231ce4a3716!6m1!1e1

And their website.

http://stirandshoot.com/

CR is too restrictive for some folks, for example you can transport guns to the range in a holster (as I do) ...

Hey Newtonian, you sure about that?  I'm not exactly sure what you're saying, but if I'm understanding that correctly, you're on some shaky ground

I agree with the rest of your post about CR being a pleasant place to shoot, particularly on a nice day during the week.

Stir and Shoot was recently opened to the public. I haven't been there yet but my Dad has had rave reviews. It was originally LE only I believe. I plan on taking classes there, IDK about membership to shoot regularly though.

Stir & Shoot also has a woman's shooting league. Where they do a cooking class then shoot paper. It's a pretty cool concept. And the woman that runs the range I hear is a great lady. I'm pretty sure I heard it's somewhere near the college in Newton? Not sure exactly the location.