Sign in to follow this  
302w

Kids bows?

My girlfriend is obsessed with learning Archery and I'm looking to buy her a bow for Christmas.

I am looking into kids bows because she's a tad under 5'5" so a 26" (that seems short?) draw is good. I understand that the proper method is to measure armspan but that would give it away.

I would like to buy an entry level cheapo bow, so if she gets into it I can buy her a real bow. Suggestions? If I can keep it under $100 that would be ideal.

Do you want a recurve or compound bow?

You may want to go with a full size adult bow instead of a youth bow.  It will cost you more but may be better in the long run.  The youth bows are fairly cheap and more toy'ish.  Sights are mediocre at best and the feel is different than a good bow.

you can go three ways, but you will surely spend over $100 for the compounds.

1.) look at a Genesis Pro bow that is draw length independent (the cam is constant let-off so your arm length doesn't matter). If you think she is going to only do target archery and under 25 yards, this will work great and not need any special setup. We use these with kids all the time and her size this would fit well, but it will NOT grow into a more serious bow. around $200

2.) look at one of the name brand "grow with you" compound bows that have adjustable cams for draw such as the old Parker Sidekick or the Bear Apprentice. This will run you $200-300.

3.) look at a recurve or Long bow. these are easily upgraded to higher weights and much less draw length dependent (just us a table like this http://www.learn-archery.com/proper-bow-size.html you can get started much closer to the $100.

Remember a few things needed along with the bow, arrows (easily cost you $50 even for a dozen cheapies.) a finger tab or release and a carry case.

Frankly for a a starter kit, I would go Recurve as it is a lot of fun and can be used to teach ALL the key aspects of archer. If she get's more serious or wants to hunt, then you upgrade later.

I got this for my 13 year old son.  Not the best but it works, he is 5' 10", I have it set to 27" and 31lbs.  The description says upto 26" but it's not accurate as is the norm for Dicks.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11783454

Grrrr....

I know, you don't like DSG, amazon has them for $119.  I just used the DSG link as it was the first I found.

Here, amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Vortex-45-Pounds-Youth-Archery/dp/B003RXOOQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447175064&sr=8-1&keywords=Barnett+Youth+Vortex+Junior+Compound+Bow

What's wrong with dicks?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The mipafox corrallary to Godwin's law: all online retail firearms discussions will devolve into accusations of being soft on Dick's and their 2nd amendment sellout after Newtown.

302 - go to a flea market. It's a getting a little late for yard sales and they are probably getting ready to close as well. Or post a WTB add on the forum here. Or does it have to be new? I guess it has to be new for a gift. Oh well.

The mipafox corrallary to Godwin's law: all online retail firearms discussions will devolve into accusations of being soft on Dick's and their 2nd amendment sellout after Newtown.

I think you meant ripping off their customers. How would you feel if your stock went up 100% and your broker lied and said, "Sorry, we sold it before it went up" and then sold it to someone else for the real price. Stealing merchandise from people that paid for it and selling it to others at double the price is pretty shitty. It's also at least sounds illegal. As does breaking contracts with both your supplier and your customers.

302 - go to a flea market. It's a getting a little late for yard sales and they are probably getting ready to close as well. Or post a WTB add on the forum here. Or does it have to be new? I guess it has to be new for a gift. Oh well.

I think you meant ripping off their customers. How would you feel if your stock went up 100% and your broker lied and said, "Sorry, we sold it before it went up" and then sold it to someone else for the real price. Stealing merchandise from people that paid for it and selling it to others at double the price is pretty shitty. It's also at least sounds illegal. As does breaking contracts with both your supplier and your customers.

Too long for an Internet law. :-)

i boycotted Home Depot for about 2 years for the same reason after getting shafted on CFL bulb rebates that cost me about $50.