AlDente67

Donation calls for NJ Law Enforcement Organization

I've gotten those calls before. I come off very direct and somewhat pushy during the call saying something like "Yes, this is SOANDSO from XYZ police department..." to fool you into thinking it might be an officer calling you. Which in turn makes some people react by giving the call priority and ultimately forces you to donate because, how can you say no to the police, right? I treat these calls as SPAM. Once I started questioning the person calling asking about the PD they said they were from and how the construction was going (even though there wasn't any) and they replied with a lie. I called them out on it and they ended up hanging up on me.

It's really crappy it's a third party that they use to make these calls and unless you really question them they try to give you the impression that they are the PD.  It's almost to the point of bullying.  I received these calls a couple years ago and said I donate directly--I do my brother and two brothers-in-law are on the job in Newark--and they got very pushy.  It was from the FOP so I called my local police who are FOP and they explained it and were almost apologetic.  

The guys calling were relentless and acted like douches.  The union would do themselves a favor if they had actual members call and be respectful to people.  

It's a scam. Local Associations will typically send out mailers, not cold-call you.

We have had quite a few issues with businesses in my town donating money after receiving these calls. They get a nice letter and some fake PBA type cards, but they are not recognized by any LEO organization. I don't think any of the donated money received by these folks make it to any Police organizations.

If you want to donate, go to the local PD and ask to speak to the PBA/FOP rep and write a check.

If you had a good interaction with an Officer, write a letter or email to the Chief outlining the interaction and why you felt compelled to write. That's the best thing, it goes right into their personnel file as a letter of commendation, and doesn't cost you a dime.

I "donated"  (got robbed) enough when I was younger with bullshit tickets. I told that scumbag on the phone to come to my house and I'll personally give him a donation. Then I called him some names, told him to get a real job and contribute to society instead of stealing from the common man. 

After all that he still asked for the donation, unbelievable... 

I was told that local PBAs almost never solicit donations by phone, and that any phone solicitation is probably a third party not even remotely associated with any legitimate PBA.  They create a real NFP organization legally and pose as some magnificent benefactor of the PBA when in reality they only give a very small fraction of every dollar.  Like 5 cents goes to the cops and the rest goes to pay the insanely high salary the NFP creator granted themselves and "administrative costs".

I have not had a phone solicitation in a long time but I just tell them I already donated to my local PBA and hang up.

THESE ARE NOT LEGIT CALLS

I used to work for a telemarketer back in college when I lived in New Brunswick.

The company would work these campaigns for few weeks out of the year.

The Organization that your are "supposedly" donating to only get a VERY VERY small percent of the donation. The rest goes to the telemarketer company.

I felt very dirty when I left work everyday, cause some of the things we had to say and do in order to get money but I had to pay the bills and it was a second job that had flexible hours. I finally quite after a few months.

If you had a good interaction with an Officer, write a letter or email to the Chief outlining the interaction and why you felt compelled to write. That's the best thing, it goes right into their personnel file as a letter of commendation, and doesn't cost you a dime.

Thank for that tip.  I hadn't thought to do so.

Unfortunately this is a common practice these days.  It's really hard for the municipality (PD) to say "No".  A company approaches them and offers to solicit donations on their behalf for a portion of the proceeds.  The town doesn't have to do anything but agree and accept the money. Even if they only get 10% of the collections, it's free money for them.

I personally don't ever pledge a donation over the phone.  I seek out worth while groups and donate directly.

I told them "you never showed up in time to help me when I called you - Why should I help you when you call me?

my understanding is that those calls are not actually from the pd that they claim they're from. and that the pd gets less than 10% of the donations.

Is fact.  Other than just hanging up on the caller ... ask to have them a copy of their IRS Form 990 Not For Profit Report!  They usually hang up on me when I ask for the Form 990

I got one the other day, pushing that they were from the Fire Dept.  I asked which one....."John" wouldn't answer, except to say he was from the fire dept....I told him I was the past President of the Fire Company, and we never did telephone requests.....to silence.  I hung up.

Ummmmmmmmm, why donate. They have all the taxpayer money they want and revenue from tickets. When I see MRAPs and new guns and better cars than most people drive I do not see an organization that needs donations

Do you all really think that this donation money goes to cops pockets..like here's a Christmas bonus...that money is spun right back into community organizations such as PAL..special olympics...Explorer programs..look it up...its not hard to find..or ask your local where the $$ go..or better yet read the local rag..youll see the articles..stop.with the butthurt and blanket statements about govt workers..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oh I understand...what gets me is that too many of these BS organizations tell us that they are collecting money to buy bullet proof vests for the local police!  The towns, boros, and cities have been doing this for years.

I can't speak personally for the FOP or any of the Fire Departments out there, but the NJ PBA and any local PBA's do not solicit via telephone.  Period.  There are countless numbers of so-called "police/fire fund raising organizations".  Thats all they do.  Raise funds.  Never goes to the actual PBA. 

There's always next time cap.....lol

CAN'T remember if i'd mentioned before....but i get a lot of calls at the shop for pre-approved can you give us your information for approval business loans. i got one that when the guy said what it was, i acted like an over-excited kid ranting on how he was gonna give me free money that i never ever ever gotta pay back. dude said no, so i said why are you still on the phone with me. he hung up on me. the prick. he hurt my wittle feelings.