EWC88

Liquid plumber recommendations

Like title says I need a liquid plumber recommendation that you guys us great luck with. My shower drain is backed up, I've tried draino, fail, I've tried instant plumber, that worked a little. So if you guys had some great luck with anything please let me know so I can try it out!

One of the best investments I've ever made was a drain snake.  Actually, snakes.  I got the hand held kind that you can turn by hand or attach to a drill (very inexpensive) and a 100' heavy duty model, which I've used four times and paid for itself already.

One of the best investments I've ever made was a drain snake.  Actually, snakes.  I got the hand held kind that you can turn by hand or attach to a drill (very inexpensive) and a 100' heavy duty model, which I've used four times and paid for itself already.

This 100%. Go to Home Depot and pick one up. 

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Drain-Openers-Plumbing-Snakes-Augers/N-5yc1vZbqoe

When you stick it in, go in all the way as far as you can go. When you feel resistance, don't back out, instead push in some more. Sometimes there are bends in the piping that you'll have to push through. One the way out, sometimes it might feel stuck, it's not. Just pull the shit out of it and everything will come out.

DO NOT USE ANY ACID BASED(liquid plumber) DRAIN CLEANERS!!!

Do not use a drain cleaning liquid.

If your plumbing is newer- they don't really work. If your plumbing is older- they cause damage.

Snake it out or hire someone that can.

After you get it open, pull out that tub drain cover and put in one of these. Helps alot to catch the hair.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-2-1-2-in-Stainless-Steel-Mesh-Strainer-88820/100164331?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D26P-Plumbing%7c&gclid=CO-G2O7XrMkCFckYHwodYr4FQw&gclsrc=aw.ds lug 

Getting out that hair plug is a bitch.  Don;t use drain cleaners if your on a septic system.  Diggin out hair from the drain, just another perk of home ownership.

Going to try all the suggestions! For the snake or even the bladder I would have to put that through my overflow because when I take my drain cover off my tub inside the drain piper (about inch down) there's a cross pattern of metal (screw for cover screws into the middle of it) so neither would fit. I've never taking apart overflow so take it easy on me lol, obviously I unscrew it but since my overflow as the option to close or open the drain, do I do anything specific to get that out so the snake or bladder can go in?

I have never found any "liquid plumber" to work any better then any of the "mechanics in a can".

You have soemthing like this with a plunger?

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/106141_5.pdf

Pull the plunger and all the crap stuck on it out and run some water.

I finally got tired of doing this in my house. I removed the plunger permently and used a hole saw to cut out the cross piece you mentioned. I have not had a "hair clog" since.

When you stick it in, go in all the way as far as you can go. When you feel resistance, don't back out, instead push in some more. Sometimes there are bends in the piping that you'll have to push through. One the way out, sometimes it might feel stuck, it's not. Just pull the shit out of it and everything will come out.

Reminds me of prom night...

DO NOT USE ANY ACID BASED(liquid plumber) DRAIN CLEANERS!!!

Do not use a drain cleaning liquid.

If your plumbing is newer- they don't really work. If your plumbing is older- they cause damage.

Snake it out or hire someone that can.

Liquid plumber type drain cleaners aren't acid based.

Going to try all the suggestions! For the snake or even the bladder I would have to put that through my overflow because when I take my drain cover off my tub inside the drain piper (about inch down) there's a cross pattern of metal (screw for cover screws into the middle of it) so neither would fit. I've never taking apart overflow so take it easy on me lol, obviously I unscrew it but since my overflow as the option to close or open the drain, do I do anything specific to get that out so the snake or bladder can go in?

The plastic snake i posted will go down the drain between the cross pieces and pull the hair out.

I only clear drains with a power auger. I never use any liquid drain cleaners. I had an incident once during my apprenticeship years ago that cost my boss a lot of money. We don't use the stuff you as a homeowner can buy. The stuff we get they will only sell to plumbing contractors. The best one out there is Clobber by Hercules. But it's only available at a plumbing supply store, and they usually won't sell it over the counter to Joe blow off the street. Also if you get one drop of it on your skin it will eat down to the bone. It also takes the chrome off anything it comes into contact with, and it will eat holes in metal pipe (Ask me how I know this). A snake is the best way to clear a drain, always every time. http://www.oatey.com/products/drain-and-waste-system-cleaners/liquid/clobber-for-professional-use-only-not-for-retail-sale

Those blow bags work pretty good too that Howard posted, however it won't work on a tub/shower drain. They're designed to be shoved down a straight length of pipe through a cleanout.

That is the proper way to snake a tub drain, always through the overflow. You can't get a snake through the tub shoe anyway it will hit the tee. The overflow is a straight shot at the trap.

Trying the good old snake method, it's a pain in the ass but what isn't. First go round I got nothing, second I got a little crap, I need to do it a third time. The snake will not go any farther to I tighten the cable and start cranking it and pushing forward which helps get it going, but I have to go down farther. I must of atleast gone down 15' and got nothing major.