Howard

There was an incident at RTSP today

Obviously feeling sorry for the guilt his family and friends will endure for many years to come. But my thoughts and prayers to all folks that operate RTSP. They will be having a tough time over the near future as well.

Renting to a single customer is done all over this country.....

Plus he was a repeat customer

Sent from my iPhone

Sure it is. But I thought RTSP wanted to minimize this from happening.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Apparently, this is the second such most unfortunate suicide at RTSP in the past 2+ months.  At that time, many of us added our thoughts and expressions of shock, sadness, condolences and support for RTSP in a dedicated thread pertaining to that incident. 

FYI – in an attempt to remind others and to reduce speculation, here is the quote from Ofc. Peter J. Miscia (Ret.), President, Law Enforcement Liaison / RTSP, (screen name RTSP1). from that thread titled “Possible Suicide at RTSP”. (post #81 from Sept. 25, 2015).

“I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions as it relates to this topic and I agree with the majority of you especially as it relates to the FID card being the linchpin to preventing suicides.  The truth is that any well motivated individual with a loaded firearm, that is willing to do harm to himself, will not and cannot be stopped.  That said, and in keeping with playing the ODDS on what the National average is for suicidal individuals at gun ranges, it is RTSP's intention to implement the following procedure:

·  No lone, first time, shooters are allowed to rent firearms, regardless of whether or not they have an FID card or not. Exception: Active and Retired LEO with a State carrying card.

·   If a person comes in with a valid permit to purchase (P2P) a handgun and wants to “test drive” a rental, we have created a new product "P2P Test Drive” that includes 30 minutes of range time, up to two rental firearms and an RSO in the port the entire time.  

·  All shooters must be at least 21 years old to RENT a handgun or be accompanied by someone, in the same port, who is at least 21 years of age.

·  Individuals who are at least 18 years of age, but under 21 years of age can only rent rifles if they are accompanied, in the same port, by someone who is 21 or older.  

I agree that this is a band aid on a hemorrhage, but we as a company would be remiss if we did nothing.  Rentals are a large part of the revenue of the company and more importantly, a convenience to customers that are looking for new firearms.  Lest we forget that there is no real solution to the mental health crisis that is abound in this Country, we just have to do all WE can do to keep ourselves and our customers safe and secure”

For what it is worth, once again, I want to express my shock and sadness regarding the news of this most unfortunate recent event.  As I believe most of us understand, suicide will never go away and it is a shame that a disturbed individual, regardless of whether or not they are a LEO or a repeat customer, chooses to attempt or succeed in this sad selfish act in a public forum surrounded by many other innocent people, whether it is a gun range or other public and populated venue.  They expose other innocent bystanders to witness their horrible desperate act, as well as potentially putting those people in physical harm’s way.  The stark factual statistics show that for the past several years in the USA, there have been approximately 31,000+ deaths via guns per year, with about one-third being homicides and two-thirds being suicides.  For people who try to end their lives with a gun, they are successful in approx. 85%  of the time and the majority of these people are white males. (This factual information is from the Center for Disease Control (CDC's) web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System, (WISQARS), which is an interactive, online database that provides fatal and nonfatal injury, violent death, and cost of injury data from a variety of trusted sources, along with the National Violent Death Reporting System, both of which use data compiled that is around 2-3 years old).

As a member of RTSP, along with my wife, we have the highest regard and respect for everyone at RTSP, from the ownership partners, management, RSO’s, sales, training and gunsmith staff. We understand that the process and procedures that RTSP and other gun ranges have put into effect and will possibly modify, in an attempt to reduce the chances for this type of incident of being repeated, are the “cost” of doing business.  We will certainly abide by whatever additional rules and regulations they institute to attempt to avoid a repeat or similar incident in the future. While some may find these new rules inconvenient it is their business to run as they see fit, abiding by ever more intrusive insurance requirements.  Everyone at RTSP has our sincere condolences and best wishes on dealing with the aftermath of this tragic event.

AVB-AMG

A lot of places stopped renting to individuals around the country (all of Florida), gun for hire doesn't either. It's a shame but renting to anyone single or multiple, there have been multi person suicide pacts, may be something that needs to stop. I know its revenue and a way to introduce someone to the sport. Perhaps they need to be accompanied with at least one person with an FID? Don't know but having this continue will be worse for business than losing rental income.

A lot of places stopped renting to individuals around the country (all of Florida), gun for hire doesn't either.

Rob0115:

I am also a member at the Gun For Hire / Woodland Park Range and that is not my understanding...

I just checked GFH's web site and to be clear here is what they say, (I did a cut and paste....):

AVB-AMG

"What do I need to shoot?

Each person MUST come with a Valid Government issued I.D. (examples: Driver’s License, Passport, etc.).  Any Male coming to the Range alone to rent a firearm MUST have either a Firearms Identification Card (F.I.D.) or come in with a companion. Any Female coming to the Range to rent a firearm can come alone, without a Firearms Identification Card or a companion if they choose to. We have everything you need to enjoy your time at our range.

What do I need to do when I get there?

Please STOP at our Concierge Desk. We have some paperwork every NEW Person to the Range MUST fill out before you can continue. We will then take your photo and confirm your Government issued I.D. (This step is for EVERY First Time individual visiting the Range. You only have to do this for the First Visit). Each individual must have identification with them.

How does it work?

Once signed in with our Concierge, please make your way to the Retail area. The Retail area has two lines: Members Only (“Rapid Fire” line) and Non-Members (which is our “First Shots” line at the right side of the Retail area). One of our Professionals will guide you through your options of Training, Port Time, Eye and Ear Protection, Targets, and Firearm Rental choices if necessary. We will ask to hold an I.D. while our rental guns are in use. I.D.’s will be returned upon the return of our rentals.

If I am New to shooting, have never properly shot a firearm before or it has been a while since my last experience and I could use some proper instruction, will you teach me? Yes. Here at Gun For Hire we are all about firearm safety and proper handling of firearms. Please let us know at the register if you are a New Shooter or Inexperienced. You MUST take our 15 Minute Intro course. (Video games, Shooting in to the Woods and the Boardwalk doesn’t count!)"

This is so sad for the people at RTSP who had to witness the desperate act. I feel bad for the young man who felt so lost that this was the only solution to his problems. I feel bad for his family and friends who will be asking themselves "why didn't I see this coming."

I'm relieved that no one else was physically hurt by this tragedy.

There is really nothing that anyone at RTSP could have done to prevent this type of incident. 

My thoughts are with the staff of RTSP in this difficult time.