Sign in to follow this  
Rob0115

AR Pistols

It's all good.  I don't mind having multiples and keeping the way I reported them.  

The only thing I would question is if I registered an SBR as 27" with a 10.5" barrel and then popped a 7.5" barrel and it dropped to 24" OAL that's ok?   Forget the caliber I'm not sure that would matter.

It's all good.  I don't mind having multiples and keeping the way I reported them.  

The only thing I would question is if I registered an SBR as 27" with a 10.5" barrel and then popped a 7.5" barrel and it dropped to 24" OAL that's ok?   Forget the caliber I'm not sure that would matter.

From what I've read, if I remember correctly, it doesn't matter. I even read that the number you put on the form doesn't really matter as until you build it and put the upper on, you may not really know the length. You just need to put the info on the initial form. If you sell your initial upper and go with another of different length and or caliber, I don't believe you need to do anything.

ATF requests notification of permanent changes to configuration via letter.

As far as they are concerned (and they say), you can put a 16" upper/barrel on your SBR and it is no longer an SBR. Cross state lines with it without notifying ATF. Bring it back home, put a short barrel on it, Shazzam! It's an SBR again. Or, heck, sell it while out of state (through FFL of course) with 16" barrel as a RIFLE in states where SBRs are illegal. ATF requests you send a letter after the fact asking them to remove it from the registry.

So, yeah, you should probably notify them of permanent changes (like you throw out the barrel length on the Form 1) or if you sell it as Title I.

I am not a lawyer, confirm for yourself (and not from your current lawyer).

ATF requests notification of permanent changes to configuration via letter.

As far as they are concerned (and they say), you can put a 16" upper/barrel on your SBR and it is no longer an SBR. Cross state lines with it without notifying ATF. Bring it back home, put a short barrel on it, Shazzam! It's an SBR again. Or, heck, sell it while out of state (through FFL of course) with 16" barrel as a RIFLE in states where SBRs are illegal. ATF requests you send a letter after the fact asking them to remove it from the registry.

So, yeah, you should probably notify them of permanent changes (like you throw out the barrel length on the Form 1) or if you sell it as Title I.

I am not a lawyer, confirm for yourself (and not from your current lawyer).

I meant to dig this up, but permanent is interesting.  If i registered at 7.5" barrel and put an 11.3" inch on who's to say how long permanent is.  I'm not arguing I'm actually hoping you are correct.  This will minimize the number of lowers I have and can try bunches of uppers.  I have a Wilson Combat that I registered at 7.5" but decided I'd like a longer barrel.  It sounds like it's ok and i can just send them a letter if I don't want to change it back? 

I meant to dig this up, but permanent is interesting.  If i registered at 7.5" barrel and put an 11.3" inch on who's to say how long permanent is.  I'm not arguing I'm actually hoping you are correct.  This will minimize the number of lowers I have and can try bunches of uppers.  I have a Wilson Combat that I registered at 7.5" but decided I'd like a longer barrel.  It sounds like it's ok and i can just send them a letter if I don't want to change it back? 

when I spoke to the ATF the advice they gave me is that the weapon should be stored in its registered configuration.. as fox stated temp changes are fine.. but when the gun then gets put away it should be as it is registered.. the advice appears sound as it would avoid having to answer any questions should there ever be a time where you are in position to be asked.. 

they never implied that the law states that.. they never implied what a temporary change is.... I got the genuine impression that they were legitimately looking out for my best interest.. the ATF is strange.. in that they were always polite.. helpful.. and more than accommodating.. 

I thought there was more to it. Luckily I registered plenty of lowers to make a couple of configurations. If you change it do,you need to get another stamp or just notify them?

I thought there was more to it. Luckily I registered plenty of lowers to make a couple of configurations. If you change it do,you need to get another stamp or just notify them?

you can change it temporarily as much as you want.... if you make a permanent change they have to be notified... as far as I know thats all as complicated as it is.. 

From what I've read, you only have to notify them if you get rid of the upper you originally registered it for.

If you get rid of a 9" 300 Blk and replace it with a 10.5" 5.56, you need to notify, but if you still have the Blk, but keep it in the safe in the 5.56 config because you prefer it, don't believe you need to notify.