Howard

Where did the oil go?

When I asked about my 2012 Subaru Impreza burning oil, I was told that if it burned up to a quart every 1200 miles it was considered normal by Subaru. I said that's not considered normal by me. I was extremely irritatd by their answer. I dumped the car and got a 2014 Crosstrek, which hasn't had any issues... yet.

I don't feel bad when they tell Subaru owners that a quart every 1200 miles is normal. I feel bad when Porsche tells it's customers it's normal to burn a 1 qt every 800 miles. That's ridiculous.

well you know? it's that massive porsche horsepower. there is no possible way to feed that monster engine enough fuel, so it sucks up some oil to increase its own horsepower. yeaaa....dats da ticketQ

I don't feel bad when they tell Subaru owners that a quart every 1200 miles is normal. I feel bad when Porsche tells it's customers it's normal to burn a 1 qt every 800 miles. That's ridiculous.

I don't feel bad for people with enough disposable income to buy a Porsche.

Its a total line of BS when a dealer tells you that its burning 1 quart every 1200 miles. Its a cover up from the manufacturer. VW had this same exact problem with a 2 liter that was put in their Golfs years ago. I had one and it burned 1 quart every 1000 miles. The dealer kept telling me it was normal every time. I eventually got rid of the car and never bought another VW ever again. After researching it further it turns out a bunch of the 2.0 liter's were assembled incorrectly at their factory in Mexico. The piston rings were defective and installed upside down but they still considered it normal to burn all that oil. I do feel bad for the original poster because they are going to blame everyone else besides themselves. 

GREAT NEWS:

Subaru was giving my daughter's boyfriend some trouble claiming that the car is now 700 miles out of warranty.  He just texted me that Subaru of America called and said they will repair/replace the engine for free.  They urged him to read the manual and take proper care of the car in the future.  They said given the relevance of the lawsuits (which you guys told me about here and he brought up) and such it is in their good faith to fix it for free.  They did acknowledge some failure of the Charlotte dealer to replace something at the 30,000 mile service but said that was probably not the cause even though it was something that was about $350 (can't imagine what).

SO, thanks everyone for your input - this one turned out much better than I thought it would

Great outcome.  

The wife's last car (13 Honda Accord) was ran dry for almost a week due to a screwup during oil change.  The drain plug wasn't properly tightened so it leaked everything out - it was all over the tail of the car.

Long story short, took a week to diagnose.  It would make some noise then stop.  Filled it with oil and tightened the drain plug.  Ran like a top for another 8 months until lease was up.

Finally did the oil consumption tests with subaru and got the same it's within the normal range. Just under a quart in 1200 miles. Atleast it's a lease can't wait to get rid of it and switch back to an American car.

Your Forester may not be American, but most of their cars are made here, probably a higher percentage of Subaru's are made here then some "American" cars.

So is the lesson of this story to always lease your car?

and hope the oil never ran dry in it (if you are a dif buyer)

A quart per 1,200 miles - WOW.  I can't remember the last time I had a car that used even half that much oil before a routine oil change at 7,500 miles.

thanks to this thread I was able to warn my niece and her fiance about  their forester, should follow up w them but he's a smart dude so should be on top of things.