Sign in to follow this  
obracer12

Rookie deer/turkey shotgun

Been a while since I posted but looking for opinions of the more seasoned. 

Wasn't sure if this should go in hunting or shotgun but I'll only make one post a a mod can move it if need be. 

I'm looking to get into deer and turkey ( possibly duck) shotgun seasons and want to make an intelligent purchase. 

While I know there is a love /mostly hate relationship with Dick's I have come across their Mossberg 500 Field and Deer combo : Mossberg 500 receiver, Cheek well (replaceable pad) stock (faux wood), 28" field barrel and cantilever rifled slug barrel with 2.5x20 scope. Price of $380 +tax etc..

​Would you, being more experienced, recommend this to a new shotgun hunter who'd like to hunt multiple seasons?

I'm loosely familiar with hunting laws, etc.. so please if I need to be put in my place or made aware of something please let me know. Using this forum to learn more than anything.  

For your stated use, the Mossberg 500 combo is a good choice. I would take it over a Remington 870 Express these days. The Remingtons are really rough out of the box these days with declining quality control. If you want something nicer, like a nice looking gun to pass down to your kids, a Remington Wingmaster would be a good choice. But duck hunting lends itself to having a beater gun and the Mossberg is great for that. If you are considering an AutoLoander, the Beretta A300 Outlander is a great choice and can be had for $700. 

I got the a mossy 500 field /deer combo 20 years ago and she has shot tens if not hundreds of thousands of shells and the only problem was a broken extractor pin last year. you cant go wrong with a 500 

I got the a mossy 500 field /deer combo 20 years ago and she has shot tens if not hundreds of thousands of shells and the only problem was a broken extractor pin last year. you cant go wrong with a 500

I can back up this statement. For something cheap and reliable you can't beat the 500 series

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk