checko

1x variable scopes.

Are 1x variables any good for a "fighting" carbine? More specifically something under $400.

I am familiar with red dots and magnifiers (not a huge fan) but not small powered optics. What is the main detraction from red dots, rye relief?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Red dots are more forgiving of imperfect cheek welds and positions. That being said, my SPR which serves as my outdoor do-all rifle has a 1-8.5 FFP on it. My SCAR 17 which is in my vehicle at all times has an ACOG on it (fixed 3.5x) which I find to be a good compromise. My SBRs ALL sport Aimpoint M2 or Pro red dots though.

They get kinda heavy - I have a Bushnell 1-4x24 Throwdown PCL (Magnification lever) on a Burris PEPR QD Mount..  It made my 14.5" Midlength carbine so top heavy I kinda got turned off from it.  I might try it again... Went back to red dot..

I don't think I'd like a fixed 3x or so.

I hear what you're saying there Nick. I went through an EAG course with a eotech and magnifier and I took off the mag for day 2

Should've taken the EOTech off ;)

The fixed 3.5x is surprising workable. I noticed with my variables that they're either on 1x or max. They're almost never in the middle. So I tried the ACOG as an experiment and found that it works pretty well. Am I as fast as I am with a RDS at contact distances? No but I'm still fast enough in my opinion. But for anything beyond that, I have the magnification for target ID and I don't have to fiddle with the optic which is handy.

Personally I dislike fixed amplification, but that is me. 

I also think at that price point there isn't an optic I would fully trust or desire on a "fighting" gun. The first reason is construction and reliability, and second is capability. I'm not sure I would trust a $400 scope to take the beating you might inflict on it, and the illumination tends to be pretty crummy in that price range negating the main reason for 1x.

To my mind, a low power variable scope should be near red dot like at 1x and good and solid for accurate shots at its max amplification, and I'm not sure that price point works for it. If you said $800 or more, I am all over the idea, but under $400 I would say stick with an aimpoint Pro.

My competition gun wears a Razor HD, and my zombie gun wears a Pro. If I could afford two Razor's then I probably have it on both.

Should've taken the EOTech off ;)

The fixed 3.5x is surprising workable. I noticed with my variables that they're either on 1x or max.

Pat said the same thing.... Yeah I'm not worried about the middle variables. Just wanted the utility.

I also think at that price point there isn't an optic I would fully trust or desire on a "fighting" gun. The first reason is construction and reliability, and second is capability. I'm not sure I would trust a $400 scope to take the beating you might inflict on it, and the illumination tends to be pretty crummy in that price range negating the main reason for 1x.

To my mind, a low power variable scope should be near red dot like at 1x and good and solid for accurate shots at its max amplification, and I'm not sure that price point works for it. If you said $800 or more, I am all over the idea, but under $400 I would say stick with an aimpoint Pro.

My competition gun wears a Razor HD, and my zombie gun wears a Pro. If I could afford two Razor's then I probably have it on both.

When I say fighting gun I mean style more than function as my main rifle will still have an rds. I do appreciate the insight on the quality aspect though.

Red dots are more forgiving of imperfect cheek welds and positions. That being said, my SPR which serves as my outdoor do-all rifle has a 1-8.5 FFP on it. My SCAR 17 which is in my vehicle at all times has an ACOG on it (fixed 3.5x) which I find to be a good compromise. My SBRs ALL sport Aimpoint M2 or Pro red dots though.

Just curious Ty, do you keep it on the trunk or have a device to keep it secured in the cabin when you leave the vehicle?

Just curious Ty, do you keep it on the trunk or have a device to keep it secured in the cabin when you leave the vehicle?

It's not visible. Not ideal as it's at the rear of the vehicle but seeing as I also conceal at least one pistol on me at all times, my thinking is should I need it, the handgun(s) will get me to it. Photos are from when I was using a .308 AR but I got tired of trying to get it to run both AP and 155gr AMAX and swapped it out for the SCAR and added a bag with four spare mags of AMAX and two mags of AP along with an IFAK.

4c6fu5G.jpg

nbnGn1A.jpg

And yes, that's a machete that I also keep in my vehicle because sometimes, the places I take that thing result in me needing a machete to walk around :rofl:

The Recce (recon rifle) is set up with a 16" barrel and a low power optic.  Typically a 1-4 variable.  The intended use was a precision fighting carbine.  Basically, an accurized M4.

That said, with todays options, I like a 1-6 variable with an illuminated reticle.  I have a razor hd too but have been considering the Vortex Strike Eagle.  I haven't tried it in bright sunlight, as I've read that some ppl feel it isn't quite bright enough on the high setting, but if it looks good, I'm buying one.  

Also, I like a variable with a true 1x and not a 1.5 ala Leupold.

fan of the burris 1-4x which are popular in 3gun.

I don't get the weight comments by some as if 1lb really makes that much of a difference.  To some it does but to me it does not. 

I like the variable power as it makes a carbine more versatile imho.  I never have a problem with quick target acquisition, hence the 3 gun popularity of them.

Really depends on what you like, weight parameters and how balanced your rig feels

I just looked up Razor HD --  Vortex 5X20 variable???  -- This can't be what your talking about is it?

Vortex strike eagle is a 1-6x and for $300. Great reviews for the price and true 1x unlike others. But it does add some weight to the rifle. I currently have it and a Vortex SPARC with a 3x mag, which is a lighter setup. Have decided which one I like better yet. But both have there pros and cons.